Kristi Yamaguchi - special correspondent for MSNBC | Golden Skate

Kristi Yamaguchi - special correspondent for MSNBC

janetfan

Match Penalty
Maybe this is NBC's response to ABC employing Michelle Kwan. Hahaha.

Or perhaps USFS needs a boost?

NBC announced that Kristi would be doing coverage for them a few months ago - so it might be more like ABC reacted by hiring Michelle.
Either way, having both of them covering skating should be a good thing.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. I'll begin recording the Today show daily starting tomorrow as the Olympics are set to begin.

fairly4

Medalist
nice job--hopefully the family will be there--
actually--kristi was hired way back in july i think --or sometime then-because that is when it was first announced.
but anyway--will be switching back and forth -because i have no tape playing device.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
NBC announced that Kristi would be doing coverage for them a few months ago - so it might be more like ABC reacted by hiring Michelle.
Either way, having both of them covering skating should be a good thing.

Just kidding!

*coughs*

fairly4

Medalist
yes it will be a good thing. figure skating needs all the hype it can get from the media-
with the politics, block judging -controversy of judging--in other words-cheating, unfair play from tech panel and judges.
they figure skating has basically admitted it has done this way always-will keep it up why-they like controversy-(in other words unfair play and unfair winners ) why they want the money at all and any cost no matter which skaters, dreams or hopes gets hurt.
olympic is more important than deathy- sorry-but no athlete should be dead because of sport-it isn't worth it. yes you train and yes crashes are part of the picture-but no one pictures death, injuries yes--death no--.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Who saw Michelle on GMA yesterday? I thought Michelle looked great and appeared so much more relaxed and herself on than she did when she did guest spots on NBC.

Drat! I missed Michelle. I'm afraid to turn the channel from NBC because I might miss something Olympic. I'll try to find it on the ABC website. How did her commentary compare to Kristi's? The clip with Vieira (linked above) shows that Kristi is really articulate and yet diplomatic. She was wonderfully effective in conveying Plushenko's strengths without at all expressing favor or disfavor. That's fiendishly difficult to do smoothly and warmly, and Kristi managed to do it. Michelle has a lot to live up to.

Edit: I just found Michelle's segment. She did a really good job. She was very humorous about realizing how it's possible to be more nervous as a spectator than as a competitor. ("I finally understand how my parents felt!") She also talked a little about that terrible moment in 2006 when she had to decide whether to compete or withdraw. (It came up in reference to Lindsay Vonn's injury.) I think she'll be a wonderful onscreen advocate for the American skaters. I'm so glad to see her doing something involved with skating.

Oh, goodness, my remote is going to have whiplash as I switch around from morning show to morning show every day.

Last edited: