94 Worlds | Golden Skate

94 Worlds

S

Show 42

Re: 94 Worlds

....I like them both, but I went with Yuka's artistry over Surya's powerful jumps...........42

M

mathman444

At the time I thought that Surya should have won. Interesting how their subsequent porfessional careers have developed. Surya continues to be an immensely popular crowd pleaser, while Yuka has grown into one of the finest ice artists of our time.

K

Kindertotenlieder2

Yuka; Bonaly had the jump combos, but Sato had everything else. I can't understand for the life of me how that came down to a 5/4 split. :eek:

K

Kremxx

But u know what I don't think that Suryas artistry was all that bad.

Surya Bonaly easily about 5.9/5.7
Yuka Sato about 5.7/5.8

Surya landed a 3Toe/half loop/3Salchow/2Toe, 3Lutz/2Toe, 3Flip/3Toe!!!!(a lil struggle on the 3Toe) Surya really killed her technically and i wouldn't have been mad if surya would have won at all......

J

j02445

I agree with Mathman, that at the time I felt that Surya should have won. Yes, Yuka had great artistry, but her technical skills, to me, were no where close to Surya's.

J

Jules Asner

I was with Yuka all the way... she skated a perfect performance with great artistry and speed, not to mention plenty of emotions!

R

RealtorGal

Yuka. And Surya was a big whiney baby and it was sick how she tried to rain on Yuka's parade. Why can't those with little artistry realize what is their flaw and deal with it?

S

sk8m8

SB skated the performance of her ametur career. I still felt that Yuka was rather "girlish" in her skating at the time. I think it had a great deal to do with the Worlds being held in Japan, unfortunately. I don't think SB handled it particularly wel, but she had been gypped so many times by that moment I am sure her frustration got the best of her.

R

rgirl181

Surya, but this is a tough one. Yuka was more put together, however I think Surya would have won had it been in any country other than Japan or the US. As for Michelle, sorry Kwan fans, but she was still a juping bean; she skated like a little kid.

I'd have it:
94 Surya
95 Yuka
96 Lu Chen
Michelle could have won the rest until 2002, when I think Irina deserved it.

R

RealtorGal

Why do you think Surya was "gypped"? The judges had been "telling" her for years that skating from one side of the rink to the other throwing in jumps is not the way to win the World title but she did little to alter that fact. Perhaps had she retained the services of a decent choroeographer instead of her MOMMY, that artistic side could have been more developed. I think the potential was always there, it just never got developed. Now she is popular as a show skater FOR her athletic abilities.

D

dlksk8fan

ITA Surya was always very athletic but never a "figure" skater. I don't feel she was gypped. As a matter of fact I felt she was held up because of her jumping abilities, but I think this sent a message to her that what she was doing was right when in fact she lacked in the other areas of skating. I agree that if she had worked with a good coach and choroegrapher that she would have become the skater she could have been.

R

rgirl181

Sometimes I think the athletic skaters--the Tonya Hardings, the Suryas, the Irinas, the Miki Andos--don't get enough credit for their abilitities. Surya, IMO, did do more than skate from one end of the rink to the other and jump, especially in '94. Like I said, it was a tough one. I LOVE Yuka. On a good day, I would have her on par or even over Kristi and over Michelle. I just think Surya deserved a World gold. Didn't know where else to put it!

J

JCSUSkittles

Surya Bonaly had Yuka by milestones in the technical mark, which should have been represented. Surya skated with pretty good speed and her program to "Four Seasons" wasn't a horrible program, it had its moments. I do think that a 5/4 split was understandable, but had the worlds not been in Japan Surya would have won.

B

BronzeisGolden02

Well, its been ages since I've seen that competition, but from what I remember, I would have chosen Yuka. She's a well-balanced skater and was in 94, especially at those World Championships. I like Surya and her jumps, but the only program that I ever really embraced as a whole and not just the jumps was her Olympic short in 94. The music and the choreography fit her style and enhanced it. Other than that, she's was too choppy and jittery for me. I prefer a smoother, more subtle style. A 5/4 split makes sense to me. Does anyone happen to have the marks for that free skate? It would be interesting to see how the ordinals break down and just what judges gave Yuka the gold medal.

D

DORISPULASKI

Yuka is one of my all time favorites, but at that competition, anywhere but Japan, Surya would have won. Surya was so ahead on the technical area, and Yuka was only slightly ahead on the presentation. (Like many others, the Yuka of today is much better than the Yuka of 1994) Likewise, there is a reason that Surya is still such a crowd pleaser. She has a style of her own that people like. It annoys me that the technical skaters in ladies are undervalued. dpp

B

BronzeisGolden02

I just purchased this competition and watched it again. Surya skate well, but it was still that jarring, jittery style that kept me from enjoying the program as a whole. The 3/3 and the 3/3 sequence were solid, as were most of the other triples and spins. It was a good performance, perhaps one of her best (93 & 95 weren't too shabby technically either) but after Yuka skated I knew it was going to be close and rightfully so. She was so smooth and fast, the footwork was excellent, and everything combined made for a lovely skate. She also had six pretty solid triple jumps (the flip was a little wild, but clean) and fine spins. Here's the break down of the marks:

FIN BUL FRA CAN BEL HUN GER CHN POL
5.8 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.7 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.7 SATO
5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.9 5.7
1 2 2 1 2 1 1 1 2
5.7 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.9 5.9 5.8 5.8 5.8 BONALY
5.6 5.7 5.9 5.5 5.8 5.7 5.5 5.7 5.7
2 1 1 2 1 2 2 2 1

Interesting just how close it was. The 5.5s from Canada and Germany for Bonaly's presentation were a little excessive. I would have stayed in the 5.6-5.7 range.

Here's how I would have called it:

Sato 5.7/5.9
Bonaly 5.9/5.7

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I was SHOCKED to see that the French judge gave Surya a 5.9 for presentation! It's almost like there is favoritism and national bias in judging! Say it ain't so!</span> :eek: