Chinese duo aims to renew Canadian love story | Golden Skate

Chinese duo aims to renew Canadian love story

IndieBoi

On the Ice
http://www.ctvolympics.ca/figure-skating/news/newsid=37525.html?cid=rss

They have never won Olympic gold, despite all of their triumphs (more than 50 medals, about half of them gold) in the sport. And they wanted one more chance. But Zhao would be 36 years old by the time of the Games, not exactly fresh-faced by pairs-skating standards. The idea seemed impossible.

"What do you think?" they asked her.

For Nichol, no amount of arguing or pondering or weighing the pros and cons was necessary. "Do it!" she replied. Nichol had given them some of their most memorable routines.

"Absolutely you should come back," she told them. "You have a whole country in Canada waiting to see you skate. People love what you bring to pairs skating. So please, please, please come back." Always humble, Shen and Zhao expressed astonishment on learning that it meant so much to another country to see them return. "I said, 'Guys, you have touched the hearts of so many people.' They don't realize the impact they have had on millions of people." They could have had an inkling at the 2003 world championships in Washington, when Shen badly injured an ankle falling from an attempt at a throw quadruple Salchow in practice. She had the ankle treated and numbed and skated flawlessly. Thirty seconds before their routine ended, the crowd was on it feet, screaming. Tears ran down the cheeks of stoic Chinese coach Bin Yao, standing at the rink boards. Shen and Zhao won, without question.

"I guess because they're the ones doing it, they don't realize how great they are," Nichol said.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link!!!! I can't wait to see them skate!

(I still watch that 2003 worlds LP whenever I need a "lift"!!)

This is a lovely story. I also watch that Turandot program when I want to see something thrilling and beautiful. There's something so magical about Shen and Zhao. Part of it is their honesty. Like Gordeyeva and Grinkov, they bring an emotional truth to their skating. They are the best of what skating can be.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Yes, the whole World- including myself- wants them to skate with this magic touch making OUR dream come true and winning this OGM.

I hope they will.
Maybe first time even the judges seems to be ready to give this gold to someone else than a Russian pair. I don't think it ever happened in an Oly since 1960.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes, the whole World- including myself- wants them to skate with this magic touch making OUR dream come true and winning this OGM.

I hope they will.
Maybe first time even the judges seems to be ready to give this gold to someone else than a Russian pair. I don't think it ever happened in an Oly since 1960.

Well, 2002 had a non-Russian pair winning, but the judges didn't give it to them :D But yeah, I think this will be the year the Russian domination ends.

evangeline

Record Breaker

But for all the Olympics since 1960, what other teams skated better than the Russian pairs at the Olympics?

BlackAxel

Final Flight
But for all the Olympics since 1960, what other teams skated better than the Russian pairs at the Olympics?

True, true...the Russian skaters always skated the best. And to not start an arguement about SLC, even depsite the scandal that was surrounding pair skating in 2002, I still believe that Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze had a better performance than Sale/Pelletier.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's hoping gold for Shen and Zhao, they deserve it. I love them.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Thanks for the link!!!! I can't wait to see them skate!

(I still watch that 2003 worlds LP whenever I need a "lift"!!)

Me too! I carry that video with me in my Sansa MP3 player... and I still get a big smile when watching the ending, even after all these years.