Cream dress to a wedding? | Golden Skate

Cream dress to a wedding?

aunm88

Rinkside
Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could get a few of your opinions on this!

I'm going to a friends wedding soon, and haven't really found a suitable dress to wear. All I've got at the moment is a cocktail dress that is black on top, and then cream from the bust line down to the hem. I don't think it looks like a wedding dress at all because it's quite short (knee length) and is about a third black. But I'm not sure if it's disrespectful to the bride because the dress still has a fair bit of cream on it. I've asked a few people and they think it's ok, but I'm still a bit unsure! Any thoughts on this?

ETA: I've found a link to the dress, except mine has thin straps as well
http://www.lipsy.co.uk/ImageStore/ImagesB/168/DR02980_011_a.jpg

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Haven't been to many weddings for quite a while but I know now they are wearing most anything. In my time, wearing black was considered very inappropriate but I don't think now it's that much of a deal. Although, I wouldn't do it but I don't like black and wouldn't wear it anyway. I guess it mostly depends on your type of friends, etc.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think you're fine, to me, the black bodice makes the difference. Cute dress!!! I agree with Grgranny, almost anything goes anymore. I would wear it if I were you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wear dark/black clothing to most weddings I attend, but then I'm hte photographer and I want to blend into the background as much as possible :biggrin:

Wrlmy

Medalist
That sounds like a lovely dress and perfectly appropriate for the occasion. As long as you don't wear a veil, you will be fine!

heyang

Record Breaker
I agree with everyone else. As long as the dress is not entirely white/cream, it'll be fine.

Kat12

Rinkside
Personally, I'd say no big deal. But then, I wouldn't give a crap if someone wore white to my wedding (even if I wanted to get married in white)--I mean, anyone who couldn't tell who the bride was would have to be stupid. "Hey, is that her sitting in the audience in the white sundress rather than the chick in the white wedding dress/veil walking down the aisle?" (and anyone who doesn't know who the bride is because they know ME had better not be at my wedding!) Ridiculous tradition, if you asked me, started by some extremely-unconfident chick whose pretty-pretty-princess dream is apparently ruined by anyone wearing white, cream, sparkly stuff, their hair in an updo, whatever. IOW: sounds like a bridezilla thing to me. But whatever.

Anyway. Maybe shouldn't risk it? Since I was once discouraged from wearing just a cream or white top (with a black skirt) to sing at a wedding, my guess is that there are people who would take exception to a dress that has anything even remotely resembling white in it. But really it would depend on the bride--do you know her well enough to ask her if she'd mind? Less important is that regardless of what she thinks, other people might still look at you askance, but who cares what they think anyway?

heyang

Record Breaker
WHile the bride might not care, I would avoid wearing an all white/cream outfit since it is her day. Some brides don't dress in elaborate gowns; so, a simple white dress might not be that different from the bride's.

Also, if I were having a Chinese wedding banquet, I would hope that my guests would refrain from wearing a Chinese dress, especially a red one. Again, it's about the attention being on the bride.

Anyway, most people talk about who got drunk or acted totally inappropriately vs commenting on what people other people wear, unless totally outlandish.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's likely ok - as long as the bride is not wearing a cream bridal gown. You might want to check that out.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
How did I miss a thread about fashion? The one thing I actually know something about! It is fine to wear the dress you described provided its an evening wedding. The velvet top isn't appropriate for a daytime deal, but a black & cream cocktail dress is totally fine for a evening ceremony and reception. Also, those are old wive's notions about colors at weddings... as long as you look & feel good, you are always in fashion. Just be sure to wear dope shoes that are strappy - thereby not confusing you with a bridesmaid....

(gosh, I feel so much better that I could contribute something worthwhile since CoP discussions make my eyes glaze over and all I can add is - "I think quads are cool! and Brian Joubert is hot!" over & over again...)

jino

Spectator
well nice dress but i think the Ladskater is right mostly bridges are wearing in white gown not a cream bridal gown

jino

Spectator
well first of nice dress but mosty bridges are wearing in white gone not a cream bridal gown

jino

Spectator
first of all nice dress but mostly bridges are wearing in white gone not cream gone.Are you looking for a few easy steps to make money online? Maybe I must ask, if it really does take a few easy steps to making money on the internet    With all the hundreds of different ways to make money on the internet one can easily find yourself trapped in an overload of information which brings you to a point of confusion or indecisiveness.

Last edited: