The Olympic Drinking Game | Golden Skate

The Olympic Drinking Game

Johar

Medalist
I've decided to do a drinking game based on the commentary at the Olympics. Since I'm stuck with Screechin' Scotty, Simple Sandra, and Terrible Tom, I might as well have fun with it. So, take a drink of the beverage of your choice anytime....

Screechin' Scotty:

Says "tired legs"
Says "altitude" (Never mind that Vancouver is sea level. Facts don't matter to Screechin' Scotty)
Sounds like he's straining on the toilet when describing a skater ekeing out a jump
Sounds like he's wetting himself when someone lands a routine jump
Overhypes the performances of the American skaters

Simple Sandra:

Says "magic"
Says "harsh judging system"
Says "complicated scoring system"
Says Caydee Denny is "Like a cat. She always finds her feet."

Terrible Tom:

Says "Kim Yu Na"
Misidentifies an Asian skater
Says something stupid and completely non factual (your bladder will be overloaded 15 minutes in)

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to add your own. :)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: Somewhere else I made a plea against drinking games for CTV viewers, because we'll be seeing Rod Black for the first time in years ( Just when you thought it was safe to turn off the mute button ), and I'd like to know I'm not hallucinating when the medals are handed out.

But what the heck , in the spirit of camaraderie :

When Rod comes onscreen , take a drink quick before he can open his mouth..you're going to need it..

Take another anytime he says " They call him / her / them..." ( Whatever he fills the blank with , you can usually be sure he just made it up.)

If he says "Elvis" or "next one" , that counts as a double .

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I've decided to do a drinking game based on the commentary at the Olympics. Since I'm stuck with Screechin' Scotty, Simple Sandra, and Terrible Tom, I might as well have fun with it. So, take a drink of the beverage of your choice anytime....

Screechin' Scotty:

Says "tired legs"
Says "altitude" (Never mind that Vancouver is sea level. Facts don't matter to Screechin' Scotty)
Sounds like he's straining on the toilet when describing a skater ekeing out a jump
Sounds like he's wetting himself when someone lands a routine jump
Overhypes the performances of the American skaters

Simple Sandra:

Says "magic"
Says "harsh judging system"
Says "complicated scoring system"
Says Caydee Denny is "Like a cat. She always finds her feet."

Terrible Tom:

Says "Kim Yu Na"
Misidentifies an Asian skater
Says something stupid and completely non factual (your bladder will be overloaded 15 minutes in)

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to add your own. :)

We could all take a drink everytime Rachael's college applications are mentioned. On second thought so much drinking could lead to a major pukefest. :biggrin:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
ROFL you guys.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

because we'll be seeing Rod Black for the first time in years ( Just when you thought it was safe to turn off the mute button ),

Colleen-did you see Rod's new World Vision commercial? He's lost the mustache!!! He looks totally different.
I'm really hoping he has learned not to declare the winner after the skate but before the marks. I have a feeling I'm really going to miss Tracy and Kurt!!!

Wrlmy

Medalist
I'm in! This will do wonders for my nerves lol. I'll add few more.

Scott gets excited and screams "quarter turn" while looking at a clearly underrotated jump in slowmo.
Scott jinxes a skater, and the said skater splats immediately.
Any commentator confuses artistry and pretty face.
Sandra snarks about lack of choreography in Ando and Plushenko's programs.
Tom struggles saying Gedevanishivili.
This isn't really about commentator, but Robin Wagner hogs the camera after Elene's skate.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
OMG this is so funny (and true). If we really were to have a drink each time those things happened we would all be so drunk by the third commercial break it woudl not be funny.

Of course these taglines will have to be added:

Any of the commentators saying how much Racheal's "Sing Sing Sing" is exactly like her personality.

Any of the commentators making exuses for thier favorites with the "it's late at night" or "he/she/they are skating last in the warm-up group" or of course the "he/she/they are tired."

If I hear Scott tell us how tired your legs are at the end of the program for EVERY SINGLE SKATER I think I will watch the olympics on mute. I already know what everybody's music sounds like.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know I was watching clips of past events covered by ESPN & ABC and Uncle Dick was pretty good at mentioning tired legs, too.

just saying.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
aye, though Scotty had one on him while he was skating, every time he did a backflip during a pro special... IIRC.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Additions to the CTV game :

This is something I used to love in the old CTV days, but they don't have Debbi Wilkes now, so I don't know if we can expect it. Sometimes , when Rod said something really inane, it would just be met with stony silence from Deb..or at best a long pregnant pause before rejoining , " Well... no , actually.."

I don't know how Liz, Jen or David will react , but if he strikes them speechless..take a drink.

Apart from mentions, if Rod works in any actual footage of Elvis..Double double down the hatch..( Remember the year Elvis retired and Rod turned the Canadian Championships into an Elvis retrospective ? Makes me want to start drinking now.)

I don't know how Liz and Jen will handle Ice Dance..I always like it better when they at least have an Ice Dancer to refer to, if not handling the main commentary...If they have nothing really insightful to add , take deep breath and swallow at will, I guess...

Last edited:

iriseyes

Rinkside
Funny stuff! I don't care which network you watch, this one will apply: drink 10% of your drink every time you hear "under the new scoring system all jumps after the half-way point earn an extra 10%". We'd better stock up...:p

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) thanks for that, _Mama , now I will know him without the 'tache. I don't know though , I kind of favoured the Ron Burgundy look for him.

Iris_ , I'm afraid your 10% rule will take me through 100% of my Christmas / New Year leftovers well before the events are done...off to the liquor store.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Instead of drinking my friend and I are planning on having a valentine chocolate everytime Scott says tired legs. I fear we won't fit into our jeans by thursday. :laugh:

Last edited:
Every time Scott calls Evan or his program "so intelligent" - bottoms up.

If he does it right before Evan splats - chug-a-lug-a-lug! :sheesh:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Raise your glass every time PJ Kwong (is she commenting?) attributes a mistake to a "loss of concentration."

(BTW love PJ but I have noticed that that's her reason for a huge percentage of mistakes!)

janetfan

Match Penalty
How about a nice chug everytime Scott says "she's been through so much" :)

Be sure to keep your glass full and closeby when Mirai skates :yes: