Thread: INSIDE THE ACTION - Figure Skating in The New York Times

Tripping on the Podium

INSIDE THE ACTION - Figure Skating in The New York Times

Kim Yu-na and Brian Orser explain her approach to a triple lutz-triple toe loop.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...s.html?hp#tab4

It seems to make people easily understand her jumping technique.

You can see some computer animation in that article.

It will be interesting.

Imo, Great Skating is a mixture of Great Technique plus Great Presentation, and a love of music.

Who has this?

Custom Title
    I found another Yuna's video in the YN Times. It's very interesting!

A Nation Awaits Gold in Figure Skating

http://video.nytimes.com/video/playl...#1247466930078

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by adoreyuna View Post
    Kim Yu-na and Brian Orser explain her approach to a triple lutz-triple toe loop.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...s.html?hp#tab4

It seems to make people easily understand her jumping technique.

You can see some computer animation in that article.

It will be interesting.
    Great! It's very informative and educational.
    Yuna is a textbook jumper, and this kind of explanation will help skating learners a lot.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Imo, Great Skating is a mixture of Great Technique plus Great Presentation, and a love of music.

Who has this?
    To be honest, Yuna Kim is the answer.
    Skating lovers could not deny Yuna is a real rare mixture of superb technique, fantastic artistry, and excellent musicality.
    That's why Sonia Bianchetti loves Yuna's "great skating" so much, and so do I
    Last edited by dorothea; 02-09-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post

Who has this?
    I agree.

I feel some skaters look like more of robotic than robots, who were called artists or ballerina/os on the ice by their huge fans. I can't agree with their aesthetic sense of a figure skating. But fans (included me) have a right to see what they want. It means that the last two of them(and sometimes, the first one) are bound to be subjective. Hence, have skaters the first one, they can be an answer to your question imo.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    If that's the 3lutz/3loop from her SP at the GPF, it's ironic they'd use that as an example, because the 3toe was downgraded. Of course, if you look at that video, it doesn't seem to be under-rotated at all, just a minor wobble on the run-out well after she landed.

Custom Title
    Excellent PR by Team Yu-Na; that 3Lz-3T is stunning.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    If that's the 3lutz/3loop from her SP at the GPF, it's ironic they'd use that as an example, because the 3toe was downgraded. Of course, if you look at that video, it doesn't seem to be under-rotated at all, just a minor wobble on the run-out well after she landed.
    Right, but she landed so many perfect perfect, no wobbles or doubts. They should have used one of those unless this is supposed to a sly comebacker at the tech caller saying "look here, it was CLEAN!"

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Right, but she landed so many perfect perfect, no wobbles or doubts. They should have used one of those unless this is supposed to a sly comebacker at the tech caller saying "look here, it was CLEAN!"
    I think they might have used the 3Lz-3T because it was the most recent one. Also, regardless of the judge from the tech panel, the 3Lz-3T was perfect enough to be used as an example for the film. So, I don't see any reason why they should have chosen another 3Lz-3T as an example. I don't think the NYT does have to be responsible for making the tech panel uncomfortable. It's the tech panel's own responsibility.

By the way, the 3L-3T analysis video is awesome!!!!!!!! Young skaters could use it when they learn 3L-3T.
    Last edited by so_proud; 02-10-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Custom Title
    I believe that it was used because it's the most recent footage of it. Most likely, it was NY's decision, not Yuna Team's.
    And, by the way, the DG was erroneous for sure. When I first saw it, I agreed with DG, but later after seeing it again and again, I'm sure that there was no underrotation.