Men Practice Reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men Practice Reports

Johnny looks fab. Totally confident and strong. YES!!!!!

OTOH I'm banging my head every time I read a quote from him in the media. He's become the go-to guy for skating quotes. He shouldn't be thinking about anything but his programs right now. :no:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OTOH I'm banging my head every time I read a quote from him in the media. He's become the go-to guy for skating quotes. He shouldn't be thinking about anything but his programs right now. :no:

well SOMEONE has to have the spotlight... ;)

aurora100

Final Flight
why is it that skaters wear black and white top to bottom for practice, both men and women, for all competitions it seems.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Sorry for being too lazy to pull out the link. But I read that Dai is taking rest today, Nobu landed 4-3 and a single quad, and Taka landed 3A but not the quad.

Among the Japanese men, my money is on Oda. So little pressure and so good records and practice reports.

Dai is too much hyped this season for being the symbol athlete of Japanese Olympic Committee regardless of where he actually may be. I fear that he is welcomed with disappointments if he ends up missing the medal. I hope that he is reconsidering with a cooler mind at home about his decision regarding the quad. His success rates in practice reports have sounded as bad as Miki's quad practice reports at Torino.

futureidol

On the Ice
Johnny report for today's practice.

Tweets today from AP writer Nancy Armour:

Look who busted out the quad in practice: @JohnnyGWeir. Brushed the ice with the other toe pick, but fully rotated and looked good in air. 18 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Nice patriotic twist to @JohnnyGWeir's outfit: U-S-A spelled out in gold sparkles on right bicep. 30 minutes ago from TweetDeck

.... OMG!!! Johnny's really gonna go for the quad! I'm going to faint. Someone fan me and get me some smelling salts. I hope he goes all out! NO REGRETS! That's his new motto.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How ironic if Johnny lands the quad and Evan who has been working on the
the last four years dosent even try one. This is the stuff movies are made of.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if Johnny goes for teh quad in the SP, anyone wanna bet Evan goes for it in the long? even WITH his statement to the press earlier this week?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny has been having quad jumps in practice since like 6 - 7 years ago. He has done beautiful 4-3-2 in practice multiple times. But he has never had a single clean quad in competition. Did he say that he'll put a quad in LP this time? I don't think so. I'll believe it when I see his LP.:rolleye:

If Johnny does a quad in SP, which I really doubt because he had never done so, I would think that he'll have a chance to medal. But again, I don't believe it.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
.... This is the stuff movies are made of.

I think you may have nailed the magic of figure skating lol. The drama! The action! The suspense! It's better than most movies. ;)

I like the fact that it can take you from sublime loveliness to the thrills of power and peril in the course of an evening. It's got everything.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
looking at practice photos - what was stephane doing in this photo????? - http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0c5EeSi91ob5a/610x.jpg

Looks like death drop. Scary shot!

Johnny won't do the quad in thr SP. Galina is not stupid. She would not have him try it even if he landed them all week, and he only has one. I feel that he will try it in the freeskate, and if he lands it and otherwise skates well I think Evan will go for it too.

futureidol

On the Ice
Holy smokes!!! WTF? Don't scare me Stéphane! It looks like his head could go splat at any second.

Oh and yeah Weir would do the quad in the FS, NOT the SP. Dear lord he and Galina would not be that dumb as to risk it in the SP he's been nailing all season (aside from first comp). Johnny himself said he would be focusing on the quad in his FS practices, who knows if he'll really go through with it Thursday. I personally think he should go for it, but Johnny and Galina will do what's best when and if it feels right.

More on Johnny and the quad from IN article http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100215&content_id=8077406&vkey=ice_news.

"The day before yesterday, I did a long program run-through at Trout Lake [practice rink], and Galina said, 'let's just try it and see how your legs are,' and boom a clean quad," he said.

"I took yesterday off, so my legs were too heavy get around one this morning, but I'm going to try it again tonight. What do I have to lose? I'm not one of the favorites for a medal."

Apparently today is the second quad he's landed in his FS run-through since he's been in Vancouver! *faints* :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Here's Evan's recent post on Facebook:
Another good practice in Vancouver! Everything is feeling good. I'm ready for tomorrow. Hopefully I can do as well as my friends Angela and Apolo! I'll let you know how it goes.

Aw Evgela! I knew he and Angie Ruggiero are friends. Cool that he's also buddies with Ohno too!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Quick question: Are the guys allowed to do a 3A-3 combo in the short for their axel jump and combo? If not, how do you do a solo quad in the short program - out of steps would be too hard, right?