Pairs short | Golden Skate

Pairs short

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Draw's out:

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympi...-results/pairs-short-program_fsx020201Tu.html

:think: Are we sure it was completely random? It looks a little seeded to me. Bad luck for Shen and Zhao either way, but then again, S&S won their first title skating first, so they can get past it.
It definitely looks seeded to me. But hey, other skaters have done well in Olympic SPs despite skating early.

I guess this means the other disciplines won't have random draw, either?

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
There's no way that this is a seeded order because for one, the two US pairs would be flip flopped due to Caydee & Jeremy having more experience on the world stage than Amanda & Mark who have never even been to Worlds. A few other teams would be flipped around too if this was really a seeded draw. That's crazy though for the two main favorites to be first and last! :eek:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
well we know we'll have to tune in right at 4:30pm PST to catch the first skaters they'll show. No way they'll chack Shen and Zhao!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Looks like they put the 10 lesser seeded in group 1-3 with random draws and the best 10 seeded in group 4-6.

That's crazy though for the two main favorites to be first and last! :eek:

Oh, yes...have to watch from the beginning to the end :thumbsup:

I believe the order of skate has an affect on a skater and it's usully negative, but in some cases, it works to the positive. Think Kwan skating 1st in Nagano. Would she have done better skating after Lipinski? we'll never know.

Back to the present: The two top Pairs Teams are poles apart. Does that help P&T at least a little bit? I think so, if and only if, S&Z falter somewhat at their program as the first team up. However, If S&Z skate clean, it could make S&S more nervous than they would be.

D&B (it's like a wall street assesment) could forget about S&Z because 2 unknowns skate before them, and C&D will have no last minute added pressure from two teams skating ahead of them.

Skating last, will make a contestant tired and from what he knows of the performances of the others can make him perk up or fade out.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow Shen/ Zhao are the very first! They will set the bar.
Pretty tough spot for Aliona and Robin, but the SP is their strength. That last warm up group is the biggie.

sorcerer

Final Flight
There's no way that this is a seeded order because for one, the two US pairs would be flip flopped due to Caydee & Jeremy having more experience on the world stage than Amanda & Mark who have never even been to Worlds. A few other teams would be flipped around too if this was really a seeded draw. That's crazy though for the two main favorites to be first and last! :eek:
Compare with ISU ranks. It is indeed precisely seeded like Worlds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
did you notice that the ISU results will not be updated LIVE? but at the end of the competition day! it's at teh top of their Winter Olympics page:

Please note that the website is only updated at the end of the competition day.

Raatkirani

On the Ice
Does Ice Network cover the Olympics? I don't have it, but don't they show the event live and uncut?

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
did you notice that the ISU results will not be updated LIVE? but at the end of the competition day! it's at teh top of their Winter Olympics page:

Yeah! I noticed! But fortunately, we have live broadcast of everything (at least I do)!

:biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Does Ice Network cover the Olympics? I don't have it, but don't they show the event live and uncut?

IceNetwork can't broadcast it live because NBC has the rights. I don't know if they'll be allowed to show the event as a whole later.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I don't think skating first will hurt S/Z at all. There have been multiple instances under the COP where the best skater skated first and got a huge score that held up with room to spare. If anything, skating first may help them by giving them the most time to rest between the SP and the LP.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
DesertRoad
I don't think skating first will hurt S/Z at all. There have been multiple instances under the COP where the best skater skated first and got a huge score that held up with room to spare. If anything, skating first may help them by giving them the most time to rest between the SP and the LP.

I really hope you're right! they are my favourites at all in this Olympics...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Of course, as always, it will be up to the skaters themselves to do well. But I believe if S/Z skate well, they will get the huge scores they deserve. And judging by some of their marks this season when they haven't skated well, they may get huge scores anyway. :p

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Elena & Anton skated early back in 2002 (under the old system too) and it didn't hurt them at all. I think things will be fine and I hope everyone skates well. I like both Shen & Zhao and Aliona & Robin so I'm rooting for both them along with the American and Canadian pairs. :)

Thanks for the clarification on the seeding. I don't remember the order very well from last Worlds so it seemed more random to me this year.

jcoates

Medalist
nbcolympics.com should have live scoring updates. They may even have live protocols. I think they did in Torino.

The good news is most broadcasters, especially in Canada and the US, will have to devote virtually all of their Sunday primetime coverage to the pairs. I can't see that many break-aways to cover other sports with this draw.