The opening ceremony | Golden Skate

The opening ceremony

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Inspire the world

It starts in less than 4 hours!

Which great athletes and entertainers will be on the opening ceremony? Who will be flag bearers? Will the show be outstanding? Will there be figure skaters performing …jeffrey :love:

And how will the death of Nodar Kumaritashvili influence the ceremony?

Finally, will I be awake to see the light-the-fire person? Gretzky?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I don't see why this thread should be in here. Many figure skaters will be involved in the opening ceremony, it's not their fault other critters are there, too.

Tigger

Final Flight
I'm sure they'll do something during the Ceremonies to honour that young Georgian Luger who passed away this afternoon. Perhaps a Moment of Silence? I do hope the Georgian Team doesn't pull out and stays. There's more than one way to honour that young man's memory and competiting for him and his family, I can't think of a better way for them to do that.

I know everyone's trying to figure out who will be lighting the Cauldron, Nancy Greene Raine is my vote, but it hit me last night. We're all wondering who will get that honour, but no one's been talking about who will the Olympic Flag Bearers who bring in the Olympic Flag tonight be. Another great honour duiring the Opening Ceremonies and I wonder who those eight or more people will be?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I wouldn't blame the Georgian delegation for pulling out as a protest against the host country's extreme breach of trust (calling it unsporting or inhospitable isn't nearly strong enough).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Luge death, bad weather dim opening ceremony mood - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_opening_ceremony
While protesters and rain clouds gathered outside, ticketholders began to fill Vancouver's BC Place Stadium for the evening extravaganza, the first Olympic opening or closing ceremony ever held indoors. Rain was forecast through the weekend in the city, with high temperatures near 50 degrees, prompting some to dub these the Spring Olympics.

I didn't know they were doing it indoors! cool!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Well, that was unimpressive. Pre-taped footage of snowboarder going down hill, smattering of CGI, he pretends to arrive just in time for the opening ceremonies at a completely different hour of day. That games start not with a bang, but a yawn. The big wigs sit, some nobody sings O Canada to a synth-heavy adult contemporary arrangement. Then suddenly, furries!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I feel bad for the smaller countries that get less cheering. If I was in attendance, I'd make a point of cheering louder for them.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
GO ISRAEL!!!! I saw Roman and Alexandria, I waved my flag and cheered so loudly!!!!

My heart broke when I saw the delegation from Georgia, they looked like they were about to cry, I saw Elena G., and the entire stadium gave them a standing o.

I saw so many figure skaters!!!!

magicalwords

On the Ice
Hooray NBC for tape-delaying the opening ceremony :disapp:
Living in West Coast but still not being able to see it live. Hmmph.

Anyway, I can't wait to see Julia S. and Stephane L. as the flag bearers!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
they did the same thing 8 years ago when it was in SLC - because they want it on primetime (how many would have been home to see it at 4:30 today?)

DesertRoad

Final Flight
This isn't even a low rent version of the Beijing Olympics, it's a low rent version of a Disney Broadway show. Insipid and uninspired, every staging and symbol used is expected and done perfunctorily. Bookended by the ultimate MOR artists, Sarah McLachlan and Bryan Adams. The bit of modern dancing during McLachlan's ballad was particularly egregious. You'd see better dancing and choreography at a regional theater.

Ya know, why even try to top the kind of light show and massive song and dance spectacle the Beijing Olympics put up? Do something else. Inject something new, like humor. They should've had Kids in the Hall do these opening ceremonies. Save a bit of cash and provide a lot more entertainment.

Oh god, it gets worse. Low rent Riverdance. This is all the worst parts of modern Broadway, distilled for extra offense.

magicalwords

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere that NBC was losing money for Olympics coverage (not sure), but if it's true, I suppose NBC needs as many viewers as possible. But it's still so frustrating. :p

Oooh, since they're showing ski jump right now, so I guess I can wait for the real opening ceremony while watching this..

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I have to say this, with all of the GREAT Canadian figure skaters out there, or skaters in general, Why didn't someone say HEY let's involve all of the previous champions in Canada? What about if we had an Ice show that showcased them and some other 'themes' of Canada? Like Salt Lake City? That's what I thought I was going to get, not this.....so far not impressed. All of this interpretive dance, this is why I did not enjoy the Tornio ceremonies, it was all about noise. I WANT AN ICE SHOW!!!!!

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Stereotypes of the wrong country though, except for the lumberjacks.

Canada is known for two wondrous things: screeching female divas and comedians. This whole thing should've been Kids in the Hall with a cameo from Celine Dion. Now that would've been an awesome show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think I read somewhere that NBC was losing money for Olympics coverage (not sure), but if it's true, I suppose NBC needs as many viewers as possible. But it's still so frustrating. :p

they are. probably because they don't have many big names for the US competing. especially with Vonn not sure she'll compete...

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Ya know, Cirque du Soleil is actually a Canadian company? Why would you hire an Australian to do a really unsatisfactory imitation of a Canadian performance art institution?

I did not expect to like that YouTube guy, but he turned out to be the best part of the ceremony. Unexpected and funny, but also rousing and inspirational. And very, very Canadian. Zed, not zee! I wish there was more idiosyncratic, heartfelt and genuine stuff like that, and less of the hokey, hollow pageantry.

Oh my freaking stars, k.d. lang singing Hallelujah. One of my favoritest Canadian things ever. They saved the best for last. In too much bliss to type coherently.

Last edited: