The opening ceremony | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The opening ceremony

DesertRoad

Final Flight
That was the best I've heard k.d. lang sing Hallelujah. Only Celine Dion can harsh my buzz now.

Dark-Eyes

Rinkside
I enjoyed the whole thing, and I can only imagine how spectacular it must have been in person.

FYI- I don't think its necessary to compare every opening games to Beijing.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I enjoyed the whole thing, and I can only imagine how spectacular it must have been in person.

FYI- I don't think its necessary to compare every opening games to Beijing.

Nor would it wouldn't be feasible. The Beijing Olympics poured money into it, and hired one of the most visually arresting directors of our time to conduct it. It would be far better to do something different, leverage talent and qualities distinct to the culture of the host country. And having the same Australian director who did the dreadful Sydney Olympics ceremonies do the worst of Broadway? Not the way to go. However, the beat poet followed by k.d. lang were fiercely original touches that almost made up for the limp parade before. Have talented performers from the country who are true individuals do their thing. No one can top that because there is no one else like them.

LOL at the torch fail. I guess Superman's flaming Fortress of Solitude is more of a leanto.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I fell asleep just right before the flame arrived in the stadium:sheesh: So who was the one to light the flame?And which athletes carried it inside arena?
I think it was after allelouiah song, which was a very touching moment for me (great interpretation) and i relaxed there a little. Also very touching moments were the georgian marching, the standing ovation, the one minute silence...
I m not sure I understood the speech(poem?) of the guy.
Our commentator was trying really well to explain us all the culture and the different nations of canada and why we watch what at the time in ceremony, because I didnt know much about history of canada and it was nice what I learnt.

I forgot!!!Stephan flag bearer was the cutest in history!!!!:love:

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
Is there anywhere i can view the opening ceremonies online? It was probably about 4am when it was in Finland and could not watch. Thanks

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Gosh! You guys saw so many skaters!

:p

I only saw Cheltzie Lee, Kevin van der Perren, Ilja Glebov (maybe Elena and Maria, too), Allison, Cathy and Chris Reed, Stacey Kemp and David King, Julia, Alexandra and Roman Zaretsky, Song-Chol Ri, Stéphane, Tugba and Frank Carroll.

:biggrin:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Few thoughts of the OC:
-EPIC FAIL on the cauldron. However the idea of having 4 lighters (Nash, Gretzky, Lamay Doan, and Greene) was nice. Too bad for the last one. I thought Steve and Wayne's expressions were priceless.
-k.d. lang.... :love::love::love:
-thought Shawn White's excitement when they did that whole "Rockies" segement was cute
-nice tribute to that luger... great to see the Georgians walked in the ceremonies.

Overall, it was understated and nice. Not over the top like in Beijing but very Canadian without the over-hokeyness!

As far as skaters I saw throughout the night from NBC
-KVDP
-Stephane (and his spinning with the flag)
-The Japanese Reeds
-Johnny Gaga
-Merlie (mostly Meryl)
-Tan & Ben
-JoRo
-JDub
-Mrs. KVDP
-The Zaretskis and Galit
-Cherlize Lee
-Elene :(
-Miss Flatt
-ESam
-Tugba

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just watched it. It was really interesting. Nicely relaxed and fun. I am amazed how warm Vancouver seems to be! My mom initially thought it would be SO freezingly cold for the young women leading the atheletes groups to wear a short skirt and stockings. But what I saw were actually fake snow flakes? Besides, it seemed like an indoor studium, was it? It was SO huge though!

Among the wears of the atheletes, I liked Sweden's, Germany's, and Canada's. Japan's and Korea's were so similar to each other! It was funny because they came in a row! Both were sober-looking, not-too-interesting wears, but perhaps they became their black hair. These were kinds of wears in which no one cannot look mistaken.

I saw Nobu and Stephane. Both looked very happy and their baby faces looked very adorable!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
And there are technical difficulties with the cauldron. :rofl:

I felt really bad for Gretzky... he's just standing there and getting more and more nervous as it didn't work and didn't happen and didn't happen and the music had to be restarted... the look on his face was hysterical.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
NBC cuts to commercial just as Russia comes in? WTF? Is this still the cold war?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just watched it. It was really interesting. Nicely relaxed and fun. I am amazed how warm Vancouver seems to be! My mom initially thought it would be SO freezingly cold for the young women leading the atheletes groups to wear a short skirt and stockings. But what I saw were actually fake snow flakes? Besides, it seemed like an indoor studium, was it? It was SO huge though!

Yes, it was all indoors.

From what I understand Vancouver is more like Seattle, WA and Juneau, AK - not all that cold/freezing temps... more rain than snow in the winter... which is probably why Whistler gets all of the skiing and outdoor track races... then again they keep closing the ski events because of crappy weather so who knows.

R.D.

Record Breaker
they did the same thing 8 years ago when it was in SLC - because they want it on primetime (how many would have been home to see it at 4:30 today?)

I think they should at least make the effort to show it live across the country on weekends. Everyone (well, most everyone) is home then...I can understand tape-delaying on weekdays, although it must still be a frustration for several, especially in this day and age of instant communication.

Johar

Medalist
I loved how they made the floor look like ice bergs that broke way to reveal whales. Awesome!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
the Whales were definitely the highlight for me! that was just so cool!

kinda unimpressed with the First Nations thing, and a tad annoyed as they made it sound like the Inuit people are only in Canada. Got news for ya, they live in Alaska, too. oh well.

ARipp42014

Medalist
NBC cuts to commercial just as Russia comes in? WTF? Is this still the cold war?

Let the anti-Plushy, anti-DomShab, anti-Ovechkin/Malkin bashing on NBC begin! They didn't wait long enough before cutting to commerical!

I like the whole icebergs to whales part too. :)

Tigger

Final Flight
the Whales were definitely the highlight for me! that was just so cool!

kinda unimpressed with the First Nations thing, and a tad annoyed as they made it sound like the Inuit people are only in Canada. Got news for ya, they live in Alaska, too. oh well.

When did Alaska become a part of Canada?

If you want to snark about something, okay fine. But this was about Canada's First Nations!!

You want Alaska's Inuit recoginized, then break away from the Union and join Confederation.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When did Alaska become a part of Canada?

If you want to snark about something, okay fine. But this was about Canada's First Nations!!

You want Alaska's Inuit recoginized, then break away from the Union and join Confederation.

:disapp: READ what I wrote. what I objected to was the fact that it was implied that Inuit peoples are ONLY in Canada - this was also in teh commentary that we got in the US, which I did yell at the TV about - it had nothing to do with Alaska being part of canada (in case you've forgotten I LIVE in Alaska and I'm VERY aware that we're not Canadian). It was a tad annoying. It's not like I'm insulting the country. Alaska and Canada have a lot in common (especially the western parts of Canada) sharing cultures is one of them. But I'm thankful Alaska is NOT part of Canada... I can't spell in old english. :biggrin:

Tigger

Final Flight
I did read what you wrote and believe me, I understood it completely.

Toni, you happen to a have rather large chip on your shoulder when it comes to "imagined slights" to Alaska or it's people. It's getting very tiring to see.

In other words. Get over yourself!!