American Television History | Golden Skate

American Television History

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Do you feel/think that the Ladies Singles Technical Program that was the focal point of the CBS Televsion Lillehammer Olympic Games coverage the evening of February 23, 1994 deserves the lofty distinction of being the most watched televsion program of the last two decades in the history of American televsion? What this a fluke? Nothing has come along and taken it's 1st place position. Not the Superbowl, the World Series, the Academy Awards, Seinfeld, Friends, ... :)

Last edited:

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Sorry about the typo mistakes in the above. I've made several attempts to edit this post to make spelling corrections - obviously it doesn't progress.:)

Good question. I don't believe it either. But I don't know what was the most matched show ever. I think that the final episode of MASH held that distinction at one time.

About editing, you have to wait a little while before making another edit. I think it's 30 seconds. This is to prevent spamming. (Someone could post the same message a million times, for instance.)

Mathman

Lillehammer 94

Rinkside
Mathman, thanks for the editing tip.
According to Marsha Kinder a Professor of Media Studies at the University of Southern California, the 1994 Winter Games in Lillehammer holds the distinction of being the most watched television event in the history of television - thus far. Professor Kinder notes this is a Worldwide television audience and not just exclusive to an American audience only.
As for an American audience the last episode of M*A*S*H February 28, 1983 still holds the number 1 ranking. The Winter Olympics Ladies Technical Program (Olympic coverage of CBS evening of February 23, 1994) is ranked at number 6. Yet, it still holds the distinction of being the most highly rated television program in the last 20 years for an American audience. The Ladies Freestyle program held on February 25, 1994 was (and still is) the highest rated Friday night television program in American television history. This information is also verified by "The World Almanac" 2003 edition.
At first I was in doubt of Professor Kinder's assertion that the Lillehammer Winter Games was the most watched event in television history when you include a Worldwide. Yet, the Professor is correct.

Wow, that's cool. I had no idea. (About the 1994 Olympics, I mean -- it's no secret that Friends is boring. ;) ) The TV network should have given Tonya Harding a cut!

Mathman