Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Wicked

Final Flight
The top 5 teams are so close together that it's anybody's game. I thought that S&Z would separate themselves from the pack after that performance, but the other teams really brought it. Should be a good competition tonight. So happy for S&S- that was the best they've done that program all season.

I was disappointed that NBC did not explain P&T's 1 point deduction. Casual fans watching at home would have no idea why that point was taken off.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
For what it's worth, someone who saw it live prefered D/D to L/H - the former were faster, with better edging, stronger elements in general (and also incredibly thankful that DesertRoad isn't judging - I can't imagine someone thinking they deserved the lowest PCS of the competition, and that's what he would've given them.)

I'll just repeat my comments from the other thread

I have no complaints about the results, but there was so much easy lyrical music being used, especially with the top teams. There was no change of tempo (except for Firebird). Langois/Hay at least danced a waltz on the ice - the others just carefully executing their elements with a dreamy look on their faces. I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.

screech

Final Flight
I'll just repeat my comments from the other thread

I have no complaints about the results, but there was so much easy lyrical music being used, especially with the top teams. There was no change of tempo (except for Firebird). Langois/Hay at least danced a waltz on the ice - the others just carefully executing their elements with a dreamy look on their faces. I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.

I think one of the pairs teams actually did do a Carmen... some team that skated in the middle of the pack. And Gordeeva/Grinkov did Carmen for their SP in 88 I believe.

I'm also not a fan of the tinkly no theme music. Langlois/Hay had tinkly music but they actually showed that it was a waltz, and I like knowing the theme of a program - if there was no music you could still tell they were doing a waltz, whereas other teams you could put on anything and their moves could go with it IMO.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I'm sure to make some people scream..but I agree with almost all the placements ( K/S maybe not quite so close to the top ,considering the twist ) ...I admit there's a bit of a muddle around 6-7-8 that doesn't sit well with me. I don't think D/D should be above L/H but I'm really not so sure they should be below M/T as some would have it. I think Both D/D and M/T were given quite generous PCS ..both generally a point above corresponding marks for L/H. I can't quite buy it .

I think D/D have been given the "national Champion " allowance , and I don't like to see it. I'm going to re-watch before I call it a night , now that I know the scores , and see if it makes any more sense to me...I kind of doubt it.

Great minds think alike. Completely agree with everything said.

also incredibly thankful that DesertRoad isn't judging

Please don't feed the anti-Canadian trolls;)

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
Yes, that was really sweet, especially knowing how cold they've sometimes been to each other in the past!

Definitely. To be honest, when their SP ended, I was totally expecting a Fusar-Poli-style death glare from Maria to Max. Glad to see I was wrong.

Well, I hope this rapport carries over to the LP and they skate their hearts out, they really have nothing to lose at this point.

I think one of the pairs teams actually did do a Carmen... some team that skated in the middle of the pack. And Gordeeva/Grinkov did Carmen for their SP in 88 I believe.

I'm also not a fan of the tinkly no theme music. Langlois/Hay had tinkly music but they actually showed that it was a waltz, and I like knowing the theme of a program - if there was no music you could still tell they were doing a waltz, whereas other teams you could put on anything and their moves could go with it IMO.
Well, NBC would not let me see the Carmen.

I do agree with you that what was all that lyrical music about? It was a step above background music and totally unecessary. Music is used because it is mandatory yet how many skaters use it competitively? Their instincts say get the points and do not let the music get in your way. Faux ballet arms and dreamy eyes are not enough! I think this Pairs group showed that music is not important and should be eliminated in future competitions. I would agree to that and we can all see who does the best triple twist.

antmanb

Record Breaker
me too.aftertherain.

i think sophia KP is too IMAGINATIVE, so we dont understand it.

anyway sophia KP, STOP thinkig that any figure skaters and couples ARE FIXED for a medal.
its STUPID.
every topskaters has the chance to get a gold, and every figureskaters may make a mistkake and miss a medal.
Plushy might not get a gold, and japanese ladies may miss medals.but why not yuna?

Is there any chance that you can leave the ladiezzzzzz meltdowns for threads about the ladies?

Bad enough that all the Korea vs Japan crap goes on at all but to have it spill out into threads about the pairs just gets on my nerves.

Ant

evangeline

Record Breaker
Well, NBC would not let me see the Carmen.

I do agree with you that what was all that lyrical music about? It was a step above background music and totally unecessary. Music is used because it is mandatory yet how many skaters use it competitively? Their instincts say get the points and do not let the music get in your way. Faux ballet arms and dreamy eyes are not enough! I think this Pairs group showed that music is not important and should be eliminated in future competitions. I would agree to that and we can all see who does the best triple twist.

Anyways, I think the reason why pairs often use lyrical, soft and twinkly music with dreamy expressions is because many people seem to have the impression that the ultimate ideal of pairs is ROMANCE. People go on and on about "chemistry" and "connection" in regards to pairs skating, and it's a bit sad to see programs like S/S's Send in the Clowns get a bit of the shaft because it isn't as "pretty" as the softer, more romantic programs. It's not a surprise that pairs skaters often go over lyrical music set to a romantic theme, then--judges seem to like it, people gobble it up and I suppose yearning glances are easier to choreograph than something more original.

Last edited:

beep_beep

Medalist
My takes:

Skate of the night: Shen/Zhao
Wuzrobbed: Pang/Tong
Wuzgifted: Dube/Davison (at least K/N went clean and have much better skating)
Team to watch: Lazarova/Barinov (what a surprise...)
WTF moment: Trankov's spill (I'm still in shock)
Endearing moment: Murktova being supportive of Trankov (coming from the permafrown queen, this is sweet)
Worst costume: Hausch/Wende, easily
Best costume: Morand/Dorsaz
Pretty girl: Vera Lazarova (she looks like a porcelan doll)
Hawt boy: Smirinov (we need a drooling smilie)
Yay moment: Evora/Ladwig, Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao going clean

Steuer probably has brought a really big suitcase, given the amount of team jackets from different countries that he has...
Everytime I watch S/S' SP, I wish they bring Asoka back...

Dube/Davison skated a Carmen LP last season. Granted, it was a pretty limp renedition...

Anyways, I think the reason why pairs often use lyrical, soft and twinkly music with dreamy expressions is because many people seem to have the impression that the ultimate ideal of pairs is ROMANCE. People go on and on about "chemistry" and "connection" in regards to pairs skating, and it's a bit sad to see programs like S/S's Send in the Clowns get a bit of the shaft because it isn't as "pretty" as the softer, more romantic programs. It's not a surprise that pairs skaters often go over lyrical music set to a romantic theme, then--judges seem to like it, people gobble it up and I suppose yearning glances are easier to choreograph than something more original.
:laugh: Ah Romance! It's very competitive in Pairs and Dance - and so is that other chestnut "Artistry" in Singles

Evangeline, you hit the nail on it's head. Pretty easy to follow music and showing romance is a must for Pairs. Dance,at least follows the rhythm of the music. Let's face it, Stoyko is 95% correct. It is a Sport or it wouldn't be in the Olympics. Isn't Mogul skiing judged on Form in addition to speed?

And the biggest judgement for romance and artistry is opinions.

antmanb

Record Breaker

:rofl: WHAT?!?!?!?!?! You did see Volosozar&Morosov didn't you? Hausch and Wende's was not good but the horrific blue tin foil of V&M (especially on him!) is by far the worst costume in the pairs at least...dance is a whole nuther story!

Ant

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Then I'm sure you'll enjoy this lovely picture of Stanislav Morozov. The race for biggest travesty in the short program is between that outfit and Dube/Davison's scores. At least with the shiny tights, we knew it was coming and could prepare for it with a good dose of antiemetics.

cornell08

Final Flight
My takes:

Skate of the night: Shen/Zhao
Wuzrobbed: Pang/Tong
Wuzgifted: Dube/Davison (at least K/N went clean and have much better skating)
Team to watch: Lazarova/Barinov (what a surprise...)
WTF moment: Trankov's spill (I'm still in shock)
Endearing moment: Murktova being supportive of Trankov (coming from the permafrown queen, this is sweet)
Best costume: Morand/Dorsaz
Pretty girl: Vera Lazarova (she looks like a porcelan doll)
Hawt boy: Smirinov (we need a drooling smilie)
Yay moment: Evora/Ladwig, Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao going clean

Steuer probably has brought a really big suitcase, given the amount of team jackets from different countries that he has...
Everytime I watch S/S' SP, I wish they bring Asoka back...

:yes:

Frenchdude

Rinkside
A bit disappointed by Vanessa and Yannick. Still, a pair to watch in the future!

Pang and Tong seem to have been underscored, or at least, Kavaguti and Smirnov were way overscored.

Desertroad said:
Then I'm sure you'll enjoy this lovely picture of Stanislav Morozov. The race for biggest travesty in the short program is between that outfit and Dube/Davison's scores. At least with the shiny tights, we knew it was coming and could prepare for it with a good dose of antiemetics.

OUCH. You have quite possibly the wickedest mouth on this forum (and I love it). (Are you Johnny??)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

I dunno - while I see where you're coming from, Savchenko/Szolkowy are second by only seven tenths of a point AND the audience sorta thought they should be in first, and I think. I also think that S/S's program is very soft - what program is softer (even the more romantic programs this season seem to have a harder edge than that).

Final Flight
S/Z is kinda hollow and boring.
S/S massive triple flip throw should put them over in the first place.

the clowns were the "hollow and boring" ones and one great element doesn't justif placement even in this context.