Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Scout

Final Flight
I do. I would take off 3 or so points off of both marks, arriving at my score of 60.30.. Their throw was not deserving of +GOE at all in my opinion, and the even bigger joke was that their footwork sequence was scored +. He was very stiff through the entire thing and had a very, very visible slip, again IMO. And there is no relation to the music in this program and it has no emotion at all. I can't believe they could be so boring here when they had a program like The Blowers Daughter in which I thought they completely related to the music. Dube, in my opinion, always seems to be a mechanical skater when going about her basics and she doesn't flow across the ice as well as any of the other top skaters really. If they have the right package, I think a lot of their weaknesses can be masked... but skating to this gloomy music that neither of them seem to care for, it just makes them all the more apparent.

Fair enough...but Sale noted (during the footwork sequence, I think) about how well the moves fit the music. I believe she used the word dynamic. I also think the throw was given praise by the commentators. Had I been judging, I would have given it +GOES. It's one thing to believe a program is boring and gloomy - it's your opinion. You're also entitled to believe they should have a different placement. It's different to say the judging was terrible, there was inflation in the scores, and the scores were undeserved, because of the subjectivity in the sport. You can say "I wouldn't give them +GOEs on the throw" but, in this situation, you can't say "they don't deserve +GOEs on the throw".

Scout

Final Flight
Only taking of 5-6 points off that ridiculous score is charity. I'd have given them: -1.4 on the step sequence. 4 in skating skills for failing multiple criteria of the mark. 5 for average transitions. 4 for weak performance/execution. 4 for choreography/composition. It'd be 5 but I take off 1 there for using Lux Aeterna. 4 in interpretation for being negative examples of all the criteria. This would've given them a total score of 49.96, which is 15.4 points lower than what they have now.

Interesting...

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
You know it's really something when Sandra Bezic is puzzled about a Canadian skater or teams scores, and she definitely was with D/D. I heard Sale and Pelletier were also somewhat surprised with their scores. I knew I had marked them low but never did I think they'd be over the three teams in front of them.

And I said everything was IMO, just as the judges scores that count are in their opinions!

futureidol

On the Ice
I LOVED Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong!!! I am so proud of them! They were amazing. I pray they do just as well in the FS *fingers crossed*

p.s. I am puzzled by D/D's score as well. I hope they don't inflate the Canadians' scores in the other figure skating events. I will be pissed.

miki88

Medalist
Agreed. She was hollow all the way through that program after her bad fall on the 3Salchow. He had that silly stumble in the footwork. The program lacked flow, attack, and emotion. Their disinterested demeanor was the polar opposite of the mood of that music. It's such an athletic, heavy, and dark piece of music . . . adjectives that don't fit D/D. It's like Mao skating to Bells of Moscow, a dark and heavy piece of music that doesn't bring out her strengths the way pieces like Nocturne and Claire de Lune do.

I don't think it's the skaters not relating to dark and heavy music; it's more the audience doesn't relate to it much so it's harder to pull off. If it is light and soft music; it usually pleasant to listen to. Either way, it's not their program that was the problem but that they made a lot of mistakes in their elements. While I am not happy with the overscoring of some teams, it's a good sign that the judges have decided to put the top contenders fairly close to each other to make for an actual competition in the free. I hope this will be the case for both the men and ladies events, because then it will be exciting:)

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm Canadian and I even think D&D's score was WAY TOO HIGH. I would have liked to see Langlois and Hay over them. D&D are too inconsistent and I really believe L&H are truly Canada's best pair. I was impressed with Evora & Ladwig, but surprised to see Denney & Barrett finish so low. I guess the doubling of the SBS jump on Caydee's part really screwed them. All the pairs ahead of D&D were amazing. The bad performances of Mukhortova & Trankov and Volosozhar & Morozov were surprising.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Top 10 in TES :

01. ShenZhao 42.42
02. SavchenkoSzolkowy 42.24
03. ZhangZhang 41.08
04. KavagutiSmirnov 40.92
05. PangTong 39.90
06. LangloisHay 37.60
07. DubeDavison 36.16
08. VolosozharMorozov 34.62
09. MukhortovaTrankov 34.24
10. EvoraLadwig 33.10

I wouldnt have Zhangs above PT or KS. It must be because of their higher base value.

Top 10 in PCS :

01. ShenZhao 34.24
02. SavchenkoSzolkowy 33.72
03. KawaguchiSmirnov 33.24
04. PangTong 32.60
05. DubeDavison 30.20 *
06. MukhortovaTrankov 30.20 *
07. ZhangZhang 30.20 *
08. VolosozharMorozov 27.52
09. LangloisHay 26.60
10. EvoraLadwig 24.76

* Zhang, MT and Dsquared all tied in PCS :eek: I put the team with the highest Interpretation score first since is the most "artistic" of the PC categories. Maria and Maxim were a bit dumped and ShenZhao should have received at least 2.5 points of a lead above the rest of the field here.

screech

Final Flight
To the people who think Langlois/Hay were gifted... how/where do you think they were?

I'm in complete agreement that D/D were WAY overmarked. I thought they would have had 60 points... at the most and should have been 9th or 10th. I agree with how most people have put 'their' placements with P/T ahead of K/S and with L/H in 6th.

Here's hoping for a well-skated long with proper placements!

Scout

Final Flight
Well, I don't mind the placement of D/D, M/T and V/M ... it could have been in any order between the 3 of them, but so long as it was sufficiently close (as it is). They all were lacking in the presentation area tonight. Pelletier was surprised by their ranking in relation to Langlois and Hay, and said he'd need to look at the protocols. I think the fall automatically gives a spectator the mentality that they should be lower, without considering the little differences that add up (in levels, GOEs, PCS). It's like Mirai's performance at Nationals - the performance seemed awesome, Scott Hamilton thought she'd make a strong case for the title, and then she fell short by a wide margin, because of so many URs. It's the same type of thing here with D/D placement compared to L/H; D/D stronger in PCS.

It could be seen as either a fault or strength of the code of points. It rewards non jump elements, but causes seemingly odd placements to the viewers. And it allows people to cry bias, when there isn't always a valid reason to...which is what upsets me the most. Cries of inflation happened way before D/D took to the ice.

Another vote for K&S - I thought they were great, overall the best after S&Z. I share the general shock at D&D.

I was pleasantly surprised by Z&Z after their struggles this season. Thank God they changed their program!

Honestly I could hardly take in S&Z's performance - my heart was in my throat and I was chugging champagne (it being Valentine's Day and all) to relieve the stress. And of course because Scott and Sandra were so irritating. (The sound went off for a few moments - it was nice just to have the skating!) I'll have to rewatch it after this competition is over.

Last edited:

Moxie

On the Ice
-For once I do agree with Scott about something... Tatiana needs a new partner! Stans seriously holding them back. It's like she's carrying all the weight! Pity because they do have nice lifts.
-Poor Masha & Max. Masha's so pretty yet so disappointed. Someone give Max a hug!

I don't think it's that bad. Morozov's going back into retirement -- he only came back so she would have someone to skate with (I think that's sweet!) Now she's gotten noticed and has lots of new partnership offers.

Poor Trankov. But I liked how she was comforting him in the K&C. A far cry from the death glares she used to give.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Let's play a game. How would YOU have placed the teams? Here's mine.

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Voloshazar/Morozov
8. Mukhortova/Trankov
9. Dube/Davison

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Pang/Tong
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Voloshazar/Morozov
8. Mukhortova/Trankov
9. Dube/Davison

evangeline

Record Breaker
Poor Trankov. But I liked how she was comforting him in the K&C. A far cry from the death glares she used to give.

Yes, I thought it was very sweet how Maria was hugging and comforting Maxim in the kiss and cry, he looked absolutely crushed. Vasiliev, on the other hand, looked none too pleased...

jcoates

Medalist
Aside from the double twist, there really was nothing lacking for Langlois and Hay. They fell behind b/c of PCS and GOE which is odd considering the speed, flow and attack they displayed in every element.

yqs100

On the Ice
was amazed by Pang and Tong,,,,,,,,,,,such a beautiful program

the Russian fed is so annoying!!!! have to say, I never enjoy K/S's program,,,over the top,,, they dont have their own style,,,do they really think they are B/S???? can't understand why Miss K was unhappy about the score

gold12345

Medalist
Well K/S are really unpopular around here. uhh?? I was amazed at how they keep improving and nailing that beautiful SP. I was rooting all night for P/T but I thought the russiands deserved the 3rd place. I do agree PantTong shoul be closer ,and were marked way too low, they shoul be at least 73 points.

I agree about Pang/Tong, but I guess I just don't understand K/S. I appreciated their program more when I watched it a second time, but I don't understand the +GOE when she clearly collides with him on the triple twist, does a wonky looking death spiral, and has an iffy landing position on the throw. I thought the performance was good, definitely one of the better performances of the night, but was it really just about as good as S/Z? I'm not convinced.

I'm Canadian and I even think D&D's score was WAY TOO HIGH. I would have liked to see Langlois and Hay over them. D&D are too inconsistent and I really believe L&H are truly Canada's best pair. I was impressed with Evora & Ladwig, but surprised to see Denney & Barrett finish so low. I guess the doubling of the SBS jump on Caydee's part really screwed them. All the pairs ahead of D&D were amazing. The bad performances of Mukhortova & Trankov and Volosozhar & Morozov were surprising.

I, too, was surprised about M/T, but not with V/M... Their skating was similar to how it usually is, and that music sure isn't helping them any. If their program wasn't so awful (IMO, anyway), I definitely would have had them ahead of the two teams- D/D and M/T- who fell. I agree with you that D/D should have been below L/H tonight, although L/H didn't do a triple twist and skated a little slow.

I wasn't really surprised with D/B's placement. They had an error, and a clean short on the Grand Prix this season scored them in the 55 point area, which gives us a general idea of how they are received internationally... We had to have known coming into this that the 2 U.S. pairs we were sending didn't have great scoring potential in front of an international panel. I think D/B's consistency (and the fact that they will attempt more technical difficulty than a couple teams ahead of them) will definitely allow them to move up tomorrow, but those huge scores they were getting at Nationals aren't going to happen internationally where the judges care about more than just who can stay on their feet.

Last edited: