Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Let's play a game. How would YOU have placed the teams? Here's mine.

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Voloshazar/Morozov
8. Mukhortova/Trankov
9. Dube/Davison

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
I used the nbcolympics.com you be the judge feature, and the only difference from the real judges is that you can only score PCS in .5 intervals rather than .25, so here are my scores, which are basically what they would have been had I been on the panel.

1. S/Z CHN 77.90
2. S/S GER 77.20
3. K/S RUS 71.60
4. P/T CHN 71.30 (includes the time violation)
5. Z/Z CHN 66.30
6. L/H CAN 63.40 (win on the TES)
7. M/T RUS 63.40
8. V/M UKR 62.10
9. D/D CAN 60.30
10. E/L USA 58.40

You want explanations for anything? Let me know!

Last edited:

aurora100

Final Flight
Let's play a game. How would YOU have placed the teams? Here's mine.

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Voloshazar/Morozov
8. Mukhortova/Trankov
9. Dube/Davison

Wow, that' good Skatemom. My sentiment exactly. Plus I would have TOP three close with 1.5 points or so separation each, but there would be at least 3 point separation between 3 and 4 under this scenario for me. That's what I saw in Pairs short tonight.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I used the nbcolympics.com you be the judge feature, and the only difference from the real judges is that you can only score PCS in .5 intervals rather than .25, so here are my scores, which are basically what they would have been had I been on the panel.

1. S/Z CHN 77.90
2. S/S GER 77.20
3. K/S RUS 71.60
4. P/T CHN 71.30 (includes the time violation)
5. Z/Z CHN 66.30
6. L/H CHN 63.40 (win on the TES)
7. M/T RUS 63.40
8. V/M UKR 62.10
9. D/D CAN 60.30
10. E/L USA 58.40

You want explanations for anything? Let me know!

Don't be like NBC now. ;)

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I would place the teams in this order:

1. Shen/Zhou
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Pang/Tong
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Mukhortova/Trankov
7. Voloszhar/Morozov
8. Langlois/Hay
9. Dube/Davison

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I would have it

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Pang/Tong
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langois/Hay
7. Mukhortova/Trankov
8. V/M
9. Evora/Ladwig

aurora100

Final Flight
Does anyone know where to see a list of the final standings after the short program? That's a very talented group of top 5 skaters! There won't be any room for errors in the long.

go to www.vancouver2010.com They have excellent website with all the details of the scores. They update them virtually live. Handy for all figure skating event.

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Don't be like NBC now. ;)

Hahaha.. that's funny. I made the same mistake on my Facebook posting that I just copied and pasted here, and I don't feel like changing it on there and having yet another status update sent to many friends who could care less about skating. I think they've already had enough tonight :) I did change it here though, thank you!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would have it:

1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
3. Kavaguti/Smirnov
4. Pang/Tong
5. Zhang/Zhang
6. Langlois/Hay
7. Mukhortova/Trankov
8. Volosozhar/Morozov
9. Dube/Davison
10. Evora/Ladwig

ARipp42014

Medalist
Back from work and ready to watch the Olympic late show and NBC's replay tonite. Here's more thoughts...
-D-squared was not only meh but overmarked. I had them after that behind L/H but they are the reigning Canadian national champs so they get a boost from that. I don't know if I can survive the many Requiems we're gonna see later on (we're getting at least 3 times in Ice Dance).
-L/H and E/L did well. No pressure on them (well at least for Amanda and Mark) and skated to their fullest potential tonite!
-For once I do agree with Scott about something... Tatiana needs a new partner! Stans seriously holding them back. It's like she's carrying all the weight! Pity because they do have nice lifts.
-Poor Masha & Max. Masha's so pretty yet so disappointed. Someone give Max a hug!

Btw here's how I would've placed everyone tonite...
1. Shen & Zhao
2. Ali & Robin
3. Pang & Tong

(little gap)
4. Yuko & Sasha
5. The Zhangs

(little gap)
6. Anabelle & Cody
7. Tatz & Stans
8. Masha & Max

(little gap)
9. D-squared
10. Amanda & Mark

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
1. Shen/Zhao
2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
-
3. Pang/Tong
-
-
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
-
-
5. Zhang/Zhang
-
-
6. Langois/Hays
7. Murhktova/Trankov
8. Dube/Davison
9. Voloszhar/Morozov (they might deserve higher, but I really don't like him)
10. Evora/Ladwig

Scout

Final Flight
Dube/Davison's overscore was baffling, particularly considering they haven't skated that well since winning World bronze in 2008. I would have scored them 5-6 points lower than the SP score they received. They should be behind Langlois/Hay, Mukhortova/Trankov, and Volosozhar/Morozov right now. Very confusing! :confused:

Where exactly would you take off the 5-6 points?Where did this number range come from? Where in the protocols do you believe they were over scored? Was it the level or GOE on an element? Or one of the PCS?

Lots of people express their disagreements with the scores, but how many people actually do the math...assign levels and GOES and give individual scores for each PCS component?

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Where exactly would you take off the 5-6 points?Where did this number range come from? Where in the protocols do you believe they were over scored? Was it the level or GOE on an element? Or one of the PCS?

Lots of people express their disagreements with the scores, but how many people actually do the math...assign levels and GOES and give individual scores for each PCS component?

I do. I would take off 3 or so points off of both marks, arriving at my score of 60.30.. Their throw was not deserving of +GOE at all in my opinion, and the even bigger joke was that their footwork sequence was scored +. He was very stiff through the entire thing and had a very, very visible slip, again IMO. And there is no relation to the music in this program and it has no emotion at all. I can't believe they could be so boring here when they had a program like The Blowers Daughter in which I thought they completely related to the music. Dube, in my opinion, always seems to be a mechanical skater when going about her basics and she doesn't flow across the ice as well as any of the other top skaters really. If they have the right package, I think a lot of their weaknesses can be masked... but skating to this gloomy music that neither of them seem to care for, it just makes them all the more apparent.

Buzzz

Final Flight
Two of my favourite pairs teams of all time are in the top three. I am shocked at how well Shen & Zhao skated considering how long they have been off. Hats off them! And also to Kavaguti & Smirnov, because I am a fan and was so happy to see how well they skated. It would be nice to see both teams win medals but as long as they both skate clean in the long and short programs I will be extremely happy. :)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do. I would take off 3 or so points off of both marks, arriving at my score of 60.30.. Their throw was not deserving of +GOE at all in my opinion, and the even bigger joke was that their footwork sequence was scored +. He was very stiff through the entire thing and had a very, very visible slip, again IMO. And there is no relation to the music in this program and it has no emotion at all. I can't believe they could be so boring here when they had a program like The Blowers Daughter in which I thought they completely related to the music. Dube, in my opinion, always seems to be a mechanical skater when going about her basics and she doesn't flow across the ice as well as any of the other top skaters really. If they have the right package, I think a lot of their weaknesses can be masked... but skating to this gloomy music that neither of them seem to care for, it just makes them all the more apparent.

Agreed. She was hollow all the way through that program after her bad fall on the 3Salchow. He had that silly stumble in the footwork. The program lacked flow, attack, and emotion. Their disinterested demeanor was the polar opposite of the mood of that music. It's such an athletic, heavy, and dark piece of music . . . adjectives that don't fit D/D. It's like Mao skating to Bells of Moscow, a dark and heavy piece of music that doesn't bring out her strengths the way pieces like Nocturne and Claire de Lune do.

Last edited:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Well K/S are really unpopular around here. uhh?? I was amazed at how they keep improving and nailing that beautiful SP. I was rooting all night for P/T but I thought the russiands deserved the 3rd place. I do agree PantTong shoul be closer ,and were marked way too low, they shoul be at least 73 points.

Both canadian teams were given big gifts. The home bonus doesnt matter here in Pairs where they are not top contenders but It makes me worry about the other three categories.

I would have put them in this order :

01. Shen Zhao
02. SavchenkoSzolkowy
03. KawaguchiSmirnov
04. PangTong
05. ZhangZhang
06. VolosozharMorozov
07. MukhortovaTrankov
08. LangloisHay
09. EvoraLadwig
10. DubeDavison

DesertRoad

Final Flight

Only taking of 5-6 points off that ridiculous score is charity. I'd have given them: -1.4 on the step sequence. 4 in skating skills for failing multiple criteria of the mark. 5 for average transitions. 4 for weak performance/execution. 4 for choreography/composition. It'd be 5 but I take off 1 there for using Lux Aeterna. 4 in interpretation for being negative examples of all the criteria. This would've given them a total score of 49.96, which is 15.4 points lower than what they have now.

yangjie

On the Ice
i know its bad to say this,but please let me say.

canadian couples got too high scores. i will be shocked if patric or rochette get a high score with mistakes.