Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

magicalwords

On the Ice
I still can't believe S/Z only one point ahead, S/S less than a point ahead, and P/T less than what K/S got for PCS.. such a shame, if they get overscored again.. GAHHH!!

Kissx3

Final Flight
I'd agree with K/S in 3rd. They should be lower in points and much closer to P/T & Z/Z though. Honestly, I would've put both D/D & M/T under V/M although still in that order. M/T was a nightmare on ice but you know those Russians.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
For me, S&S were crisp, but mechanical; I felt completely unmoved by their program. Perhaps I am just a little tired now, but this is how it impressed me. I notice that many pairs cannot get the catchfoot death spiral low enough, and I consider them in this category. I thought that S&Z did that move much better. The S&S thrown jump was very big, however.

For me, S&Z definitely were the high point of the evening. They really did skate as one.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Final thoughts....

Still buzzing over S/Z!
Glad Ali & Robin performed well. Their 2nd place was well deserved.
Yuko & Sasha were overmarked.
Pang & Tong wuzrobbed!
Zhangs & D-squared were meh!

Btw for those who watched the NBC broadcast... did you noticed the epic fail? When did Shen & Zhao became Canadian and when did Dube & Davison became Chinese?

Tomorrow nite will be fun to watch. I'll call shenanigans if Yuko & Sasha wins! :mad:

S/Z FTW!! :agree:

Scout

Final Flight
So...what does everyone think of the judging?

I think people are very quick to call inflation and bad judging when skaters aren't placed the way they wish. I think over all the judging was alright. Over 70 for all the pairs with no major errors, with a gap of a minimum of 6 points for those pairs with major errors.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I speak as one who never liked Kavaguti/Smirnov, I hate hate hate her flexed feet. Still do. Needs to take that door-stopper out of her hamstring. However, their SP performance just now was inspired, beautiful and incredibly difficult. I think their score is accurate. Still, she needs to fix her feet.

If anything, I think Shen/Zhao got slightly lower scores than they deserved, especially in the PCS.

The only score I have a huge problem with is Dube/Davison. That was a horrible skate even if you ignore the fall. Minor bobbles all over. Slow and tentative. I am befuddled by those marks. No way did they deserve to be over their compatriots, or even M/T and V/M.

Couldnt have said it better, I do think K/S deserved their score. Afterall they completed their elements and landed their jumps. If people are upset that P/T are behind K/S then blame the judges...P/T were clearly underscored..

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
results after short?

Does anyone know where to see a list of the final standings after the short program? That's a very talented group of top 5 skaters! There won't be any room for errors in the long.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
For me, S&S were crisp, but mechanical; I felt completely unmoved by their program. Perhaps I am just a little tired now, but this is how it impressed me. I notice that many pairs cannot get the catchfoot death spiral low enough, and I consider them in this category. I thought that S&Z did that move much better. The S&S thrown jump was very big, however.

Really? You found them mechanical? I speak again as someone who was never particularly impressed by the performance/emotive side of this team, but they performed the hell out of this program. They seem more moved by the music than ever, a quality I don't usually associated with S/S.

A great night of skating overall for me. The top 4 teams skated the best I've ever seen them skate.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So...what does everyone think of the judging?

Eh, K/S were really overscored. D/D were definitely overscored (I like them, but I thought they'd be behind M/T and L/H. Ahead of V/M because he's such a block of wood). I thought P/T were scored a little too low, though that might just be the deduction. Z/Z were a little overscored too. Basically about what we'd expect (though you wouldn't think that from the comments). I'm beginning to give credence to those who think that K/S can get gold, and that wouold be a travesty.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Honestly, I thought the placements were SPOT on, EXCEPT for Dube/Davison - would have had them 8th. I suppose the Canadian factor does come in there. But it doesn't really matter anyway...their out of contention now.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I speak as one who never liked Kavaguti/Smirnov, I hate hate hate her flexed feet. Still do. Needs to take that door-stopper out of her hamstring. However, their SP performance just now was inspired, beautiful and incredibly difficult. I think their score is accurate. Still, she needs to fix her feet.

If anything, I think Shen/Zhao got slightly lower scores than they deserved, especially in the PCS.

The only score I have a huge problem with is Dube/Davison. That was a horrible skate even if you ignore the fall. Minor bobbles all over. Slow and tentative. I am befuddled by those marks. No way did they deserve to be over their compatriots, or even M/T and V/M.

I'm not exactly Kavaguti/Smirnov's biggest fan, but I do agree. They skated rather well and I would agree with their placement. Whatever Tamara Moskvina has done to them, it's working.

Dube/Davison were pretty horrible and were probably the most gifted team of the night.

Moxie

On the Ice
IMO it's not the costumes and makeup that turn people off figure skating, though I don't like S/S's clown "interpretation", but the seemingly arbitrary scoring and obvious inflations for certain teams.