Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Hurdler4eva

Rinkside
I think S/Z and S/S were in a league of their own tonight. K/S were obviously overmarked. I'm okay with having them in third, but their score should be within a point of P/T.

D/D were overmarked and didn't even seem happy about it. I think they know that they didn't deserve their scores.

I didn't mind S/S clown costumes, but the guys I was watching with in my dorm thought they were "freaks" and they thought D/D deserve to be overmarked because they had "cool music."

They also agreed that Maria Mukhortova was the prettiest.

miki88

Medalist
Honestly, I thought the placements were SPOT on, EXCEPT for Dube/Davison - would have had them 8th. I suppose the Canadian factor does come in there. But it doesn't really matter anyway...their out of contention now.

The hometown inflation is not a big deal for pairs, but it would play a bigger factor for men and ladies where Canada actually have medal contenders. I would be upset if Chan and Rochette get on the podium with lackluster performances but help from hometown scoring. :disapp:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Agree as well. K&S had "it" in their performance. So did P&T. Not too crazy about S&S's performance, btw.

Also agree about D&D - that was some strange judging; they should have been 10th, behind V&M and especially M&T.

BTW, I love how on that results page you can click the "+" to get scoring details.

amateur

Final Flight
I thought the judging was fine, except for D/D being overscored (even Canadian commentators S & P expressed puzzlement at the score), and P/T being a bit underscored - though not as much as people think, as they did get a 1-point time deduction. Everything else was just fine as far as I'm concerned. Some very good skating, good event!

magicalwords

On the Ice
I think S/Z and S/S were in a league of their own tonight. K/S were obviously overmarked. I'm okay with having them in third, but their score should be within a point of P/T.

D/D were overmarked and didn't even seem happy about it. I think they know that they didn't deserve their scores.

I didn't mind S/S clown costumes, but the guys I was watching with in my dorm thought they were "freaks" and they thought D/D deserve to be overmarked because they had "cool music."

D/D must've been disappointed with their mistake..
It was really contrasting with how Yuko reacted to their scores, as if she expected higher score than that :sheesh:

ITA about Maria M. being the prettiest, heh.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Please forgive me for not answering questions addressed to me now; I'm just dog-tired lol. All in all, a very enjoyable evening, and I have enjoyed reading the opinions posted here; thank you. I am impressed by how many of the pairs rose to the occasion, in spite of nerves or bad practices. We got to see a lot of skill tonight, and the fruits of a lot of hard work. It gives me faith in the future of figure skating. I especially love that some couples manage to work in a great deal of beauty in spite of the soulless CoP lol. There's hope for us yet. ;)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to S/Z, S/S, K/S and P/T. Beautifully skated programs. Best darn SP pairs competition I have seen ever. Loved it.

Panther2000

On the Ice
When the two main commentators, Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton, verbalize that they don't understand how some of these scores were arrived at i.e. they were inflated for less than perfect skates, we have a problem. This is on national t.v When is this nonsense going to stop? The Russian team and Canadians shouldn't have been nearly as close to Shen and Zhao as they were scored. The Germans did a good job and deserved their scores. Eevryone else got gifts. Sandra Bezic has done a phenomenal job of commenting. She calls it like she sees it and she has been spot on.

When will it stop? Never

It is judged sport. So their scoring will always be suspect. Espically when somesone has errors in their program & still manages to come away with a high score. I wonder what S/P had to say about the scors of their Candian pair? Do they think that they were scored correctly

aftertherain

Record Breaker

No.

On another note, apparently, because I don't have "standard cable", I don't get to watch NBC at home. Therefore, no Olympics until I go back to school (university) tomorrow.

I forced my parents to stay an extra half-hour in a Korean restaurant so I could watch S/Z .... then we had to go ...:p:sheesh:

Yaaaay! So happy they're in the lead!:biggrin:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Ok... I'm mad at some scores, so I'm going to bed now. It's passed 3:00 a.m. here in Azores and I'm so sleepy. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Good luck to all!

:eek:hwell:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can say I agree with the pairs that are in the top 3. :thumbsup:

Dube/Davison's overscore was baffling, the WTF?! moment of the night for sure :eek:, particularly considering they haven't skated that well since winning World bronze in 2008. I would have scored them 5-6 points lower than the SP score they received. They should be behind Langlois/Hay (who were terrific!), Mukhortova/Trankov, and Volosozhar/Morozov right now. Very confusing!

I could have done without NBC's constant criticism of Kavaguti/Smirnov and Sandra saying they were not in the same league as Shen/Zhao. :disapp: I actually thought technically they were better than Shen/Zhao; their program is tougher than the Chinese . . . granted, they don't have Shen/Zhao's chemistry on the ice in their relationship with each other and with the public.

I'm so proud of Aliona and Robin for holding it together despite their reported rough practices. They were beautiful! :love:

Pang/Tong were wonderful too!

I was so heartbroken for Mukhortova/Trankov; by far, the saddest moment of the night for me! My eyes started tearing up when I saw his reaction in the kiss & cry. I have NEVER seen Maxim fall on a triple toe . . . just unbelievable. He was shocked too; he can normally do those jumps in his sleep. :cry:

Last edited:

Tenorguy

On the Ice
I still dont get why people hate S/S costume so much....there are way worse costumes besides their costume...

Most likely because the song Send in the Clowns has nothing to do with literal clowns; it is from Steven Sonheim's A Little Night Music and the song is sung by an actress lamenting the choices she has made in her life. She says to "send in the clowns" as they do in a circus to cover up an accident, to distract the crowd from a tragedy. So, using the clown theme is just too literal. At least that is my take.

gold12345

Medalist
Couldnt have said it better, I do think K/S deserved their score. Afterall they completed their elements and landed their jumps. If people are upset that P/T are behind K/S then blame the judges...P/T were clearly underscored..

K/S's throw was eeked out, and their triple twist is always crashy. Also, Kavaguti is not nearly as polished as Shen. I just don't think their score should have been that close to S/Z... I would have put their score closer to P/T, or behind P/T.

Eh, K/S were really overscored. D/D were definitely overscored (I like them, but I thought they'd be behind M/T and L/H. Ahead of V/M because he's such a block of wood). I thought P/T were scored a little too low, though that might just be the deduction. Z/Z were a little overscored too. Basically about what we'd expect (though you wouldn't think that from the comments). I'm beginning to give credence to those who think that K/S can get gold, and that wouold be a travesty.

Z/Z probably scored so high to separate them enough from D/D, who had received a massive score for a fall. Now that I think about it, D/D really didn't get THAT overscored compared to what the others were getting.... Yes, I would have had them behind L/H and M/T, but neither of those teams really scored that much lower than D/D- and that was with M/T making multiple mistakes (including a fall) and L/H doing a double twist. Still, D/D really were kind of a mess.

Last edited:

mishieru07

On the Ice
Please forgive me for not answering questions addressed to me now; I'm just dog-tired lol. All in all, a very enjoyable evening, and I have enjoyed reading the opinions posted here; thank you. I am impressed by how many of the pairs rose to the occasion, in spite of nerves or bad practices. We got to see a lot of skill tonight, and the fruits of a lot of hard work. It gives me faith in the future of figure skating. I especially love that some couples manage to work in a great deal of beauty in spite of the soulless CoP lol. There's hope for us yet. ;)

This.:thumbsup:

I will sorely miss S/Z and P/T when they retire.

Now to wait for the skates to come up on youtube. I only got to watch S/Z before the CCTV feed was abandoned. Grr.

So to round up, going by what most posters thought:
1. D/D were HUGELY overscored. (I smell a konspiracy in the making)
2. Can't agree whether K/S deserved their scores or not (Another konspiracy!)
3. P/T were underscored
4. S/Z and S/S had great skates and were appropriately scored.

Good luck to all the pairs for tomorrow! Let's hope we'll get to see some really great skates!

Now, regarding Ice Dance, if the judging is as warped as it was today, will the North Americans (V/M in particular) triumph or will the Russians politik their way to the top? Can't decided lol. :p

Moxie

On the Ice

I'm very tired of Requiem for a Dream, but you should point your dorm buddies to ice dance. ;P

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
When will it stop? Never

It is judged sport. So their scoring will always be suspect. Espically when somesone has errors in their program & still manages to come away with a high score. I wonder what S/P had to say about the scors of their Candian pair? Do they think that they were scored correctly

S/P were surprised to see them ahead of L/H. Jamie Sale admitted as much pretty quickly and Peletier said he'd have to look at the protocols. As gold12345 mentions, D/D had a bit of a cushion thanks to a triple twist, but it was the PCS score, each one about 0.8 higher than L/H that really made the difference. I do think the scoring will look less suspect with the cold light of day, but only if it doesn't ruin the medals.