Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodhiyel View Post
    For me, S&S were crisp, but mechanical; I felt completely unmoved by their program. Perhaps I am just a little tired now, but this is how it impressed me. I notice that many pairs cannot get the catchfoot death spiral low enough, and I consider them in this category. I thought that S&Z did that move much better. The S&S thrown jump was very big, however.
    Really? You found them mechanical? I speak again as someone who was never particularly impressed by the performance/emotive side of this team, but they performed the hell out of this program. They seem more moved by the music than ever, a quality I don't usually associated with S/S.

A great night of skating overall for me. The top 4 teams skated the best I've ever seen them skate.

Rinkside
    I think P&T were robbed in marks, too low IMO

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    So...what does everyone think of the judging?
    The top 3 is about right.
    I would have had Aliona and Robin first.

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Like most of the ice dance teams, for instance :D
    YES!!! I cant get over Khoklova/Novitski's costumes...Absolutely horrendous with no taste whatsoever...

Custom Title
    all results are posted on the official vancouver olympics website...http://www.vancouver2010.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Final thoughts....

Btw for those who watched the NBC broadcast... did you noticed the epic fail? When did Shen & Zhao became Canadian and when did Dube & Davison became Chinese?
    They had S/S as Chinese and Z/Z as German too

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    So...what does everyone think of the judging?
    Eh, K/S were really overscored. D/D were definitely overscored (I like them, but I thought they'd be behind M/T and L/H. Ahead of V/M because he's such a block of wood). I thought P/T were scored a little too low, though that might just be the deduction. Z/Z were a little overscored too. Basically about what we'd expect (though you wouldn't think that from the comments). I'm beginning to give credence to those who think that K/S can get gold, and that wouold be a travesty.

Honestly, I thought the placements were SPOT on, EXCEPT for Dube/Davison - would have had them 8th. I suppose the Canadian factor does come in there. But it doesn't really matter anyway...their out of contention now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    I speak as one who never liked Kavaguti/Smirnov, I hate hate hate her flexed feet. Still do. Needs to take that door-stopper out of her hamstring. However, their SP performance just now was inspired, beautiful and incredibly difficult. I think their score is accurate. Still, she needs to fix her feet.

If anything, I think Shen/Zhao got slightly lower scores than they deserved, especially in the PCS.

The only score I have a huge problem with is Dube/Davison. That was a horrible skate even if you ignore the fall. Minor bobbles all over. Slow and tentative. I am befuddled by those marks. No way did they deserve to be over their compatriots, or even M/T and V/M.
    I'm not exactly Kavaguti/Smirnov's biggest fan, but I do agree. They skated rather well and I would agree with their placement. Whatever Tamara Moskvina has done to them, it's working.

Dube/Davison were pretty horrible and were probably the most gifted team of the night.

IMO it's not the costumes and makeup that turn people off figure skating, though I don't like S/S's clown "interpretation", but the seemingly arbitrary scoring and obvious inflations for certain teams.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    But it doesn't really matter anyway...their out of contention now.
    Hmmmm.... they might end up in the top 5. With a solid skate.

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    You know those crashy catches on the twist lifts they talk about? A photog captured Kavaguti/Smirnov's:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...sqe82/610x.jpg

Oof! This möbius-like pair spin, though, is pretty trippy:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...RKbJf/610x.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hsuhs View Post
    Hmmmm.... they might end up in the top 5. With a solid skate.
    Perhaps, but I was mainly talking about the podium.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think S/Z and S/S were in a league of their own tonight. K/S were obviously overmarked. I'm okay with having them in third, but their score should be within a point of P/T.

D/D were overmarked and didn't even seem happy about it. I think they know that they didn't deserve their scores.

I didn't mind S/S clown costumes, but the guys I was watching with in my dorm thought they were "freaks" and they thought D/D deserve to be overmarked because they had "cool music."

They also agreed that Maria Mukhortova was the prettiest.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Honestly, I thought the placements were SPOT on, EXCEPT for Dube/Davison - would have had them 8th. I suppose the Canadian factor does come in there. But it doesn't really matter anyway...their out of contention now.
    The hometown inflation is not a big deal for pairs, but it would play a bigger factor for men and ladies where Canada actually have medal contenders. I would be upset if Chan and Rochette get on the podium with lackluster performances but help from hometown scoring.

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast