Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    I do. I would take off 3 or so points off of both marks, arriving at my score of 60.30.. Their throw was not deserving of +GOE at all in my opinion, and the even bigger joke was that their footwork sequence was scored +. He was very stiff through the entire thing and had a very, very visible slip, again IMO. And there is no relation to the music in this program and it has no emotion at all. I can't believe they could be so boring here when they had a program like The Blowers Daughter in which I thought they completely related to the music. Dube, in my opinion, always seems to be a mechanical skater when going about her basics and she doesn't flow across the ice as well as any of the other top skaters really. If they have the right package, I think a lot of their weaknesses can be masked... but skating to this gloomy music that neither of them seem to care for, it just makes them all the more apparent.
    Agreed. She was hollow all the way through that program after her bad fall on the 3Salchow. He had that silly stumble in the footwork. The program lacked flow, attack, and emotion. Their disinterested demeanor was the polar opposite of the mood of that music. It's such an athletic, heavy, and dark piece of music . . . adjectives that don't fit D/D. It's like Mao skating to Bells of Moscow, a dark and heavy piece of music that doesn't bring out her strengths the way pieces like Nocturne and Claire de Lune do.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 02-14-2010 at 11:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Well K/S are really unpopular around here. uhh?? I was amazed at how they keep improving and nailing that beautiful SP. I was rooting all night for P/T but I thought the russiands deserved the 3rd place. I do agree PantTong shoul be closer ,and were marked way too low, they shoul be at least 73 points.

Both canadian teams were given big gifts. The home bonus doesnt matter here in Pairs where they are not top contenders but It makes me worry about the other three categories.

I would have put them in this order :

01. Shen Zhao
    02. SavchenkoSzolkowy
    03. KawaguchiSmirnov
    04. PangTong
    05. ZhangZhang
    06. VolosozharMorozov
    07. MukhortovaTrankov
    08. LangloisHay
    09. EvoraLadwig
    10. DubeDavison

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Where exactly would you take off the 5-6 points?Where did this number range come from? Where in the protocols do you believe they were over scored? Was it the level or GOE on an element? Or one of the PCS?

Lots of people express their disagreements with the scores, but how many people actually do the math...assign levels and GOES and give individual scores for each PCS component?
    Only taking of 5-6 points off that ridiculous score is charity. I'd have given them: -1.4 on the step sequence. 4 in skating skills for failing multiple criteria of the mark. 5 for average transitions. 4 for weak performance/execution. 4 for choreography/composition. It'd be 5 but I take off 1 there for using Lux Aeterna. 4 in interpretation for being negative examples of all the criteria. This would've given them a total score of 49.96, which is 15.4 points lower than what they have now.

Custom Title
    i know its bad to say this,but please let me say.

canadian couples got too high scores. i will be shocked if patric or rochette get a high score with mistakes.

haha.....that makes me laugh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    I do. I would take off 3 or so points off of both marks, arriving at my score of 60.30.. Their throw was not deserving of +GOE at all in my opinion, and the even bigger joke was that their footwork sequence was scored +. He was very stiff through the entire thing and had a very, very visible slip, again IMO. And there is no relation to the music in this program and it has no emotion at all. I can't believe they could be so boring here when they had a program like The Blowers Daughter in which I thought they completely related to the music. Dube, in my opinion, always seems to be a mechanical skater when going about her basics and she doesn't flow across the ice as well as any of the other top skaters really. If they have the right package, I think a lot of their weaknesses can be masked... but skating to this gloomy music that neither of them seem to care for, it just makes them all the more apparent.
    Fair enough...but Sale noted (during the footwork sequence, I think) about how well the moves fit the music. I believe she used the word dynamic. I also think the throw was given praise by the commentators. Had I been judging, I would have given it +GOES. It's one thing to believe a program is boring and gloomy - it's your opinion. You're also entitled to believe they should have a different placement. It's different to say the judging was terrible, there was inflation in the scores, and the scores were undeserved, because of the subjectivity in the sport. You can say "I wouldn't give them +GOEs on the throw" but, in this situation, you can't say "they don't deserve +GOEs on the throw".

Custom Title
    D&D clearly overmarked but the shock is that Canadians were favored by an Olympics panel.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    Only taking of 5-6 points off that ridiculous score is charity. I'd have given them: -1.4 on the step sequence. 4 in skating skills for failing multiple criteria of the mark. 5 for average transitions. 4 for weak performance/execution. 4 for choreography/composition. It'd be 5 but I take off 1 there for using Lux Aeterna. 4 in interpretation for being negative examples of all the criteria. This would've given them a total score of 49.96, which is 15.4 points lower than what they have now.
    Interesting...

Custom Title
    You know it's really something when Sandra Bezic is puzzled about a Canadian skater or teams scores, and she definitely was with D/D. I heard Sale and Pelletier were also somewhat surprised with their scores. I knew I had marked them low but never did I think they'd be over the three teams in front of them.

And I said everything was IMO, just as the judges scores that count are in their opinions!

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
    D&D clearly overmarked but the shock is that Canadians were favored by an Olympics panel.
    It'd be nice, then, if they'd overmark the Canadian team that didn't suck.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I LOVED Savchenko/Szolkowy and Pang/Tong!!! I am so proud of them! They were amazing. I pray they do just as well in the FS *fingers crossed*

p.s. I am puzzled by D/D's score as well. I hope they don't inflate the Canadians' scores in the other figure skating events. I will be pissed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    Interesting...
    Put much more politely then I would have.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Agreed. She was hollow all the way through that program after her bad fall on the 3Salchow. He had that silly stumble in the footwork. The program lacked flow, attack, and emotion. Their disinterested demeanor was the polar opposite of the mood of that music. It's such an athletic, heavy, and dark piece of music . . . adjectives that don't fit D/D. It's like Mao skating to Bells of Moscow, a dark and heavy piece of music that doesn't bring out her strengths the way pieces like Nocturne and Claire de Lune do.
    I don't think it's the skaters not relating to dark and heavy music; it's more the audience doesn't relate to it much so it's harder to pull off. If it is light and soft music; it usually pleasant to listen to. Either way, it's not their program that was the problem but that they made a lot of mistakes in their elements. While I am not happy with the overscoring of some teams, it's a good sign that the judges have decided to put the top contenders fairly close to each other to make for an actual competition in the free. I hope this will be the case for both the men and ladies events, because then it will be exciting
    Last edited by miki88; 02-15-2010 at 12:29 AM.

I'm Canadian and I even think D&D's score was WAY TOO HIGH. I would have liked to see Langlois and Hay over them. D&D are too inconsistent and I really believe L&H are truly Canada's best pair. I was impressed with Evora & Ladwig, but surprised to see Denney & Barrett finish so low. I guess the doubling of the SBS jump on Caydee's part really screwed them. All the pairs ahead of D&D were amazing. The bad performances of Mukhortova & Trankov and Volosozhar & Morozov were surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Put much more politely then I would have.
    Uninspired is about the nicest thing I could say about D/D's skate. Too bad there isn't a mark for boring the judges could check off.

Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast