Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Custom Title
    Top 10 in TES :

01. ShenZhao 42.42
    02. SavchenkoSzolkowy 42.24
    03. ZhangZhang 41.08
    04. KavagutiSmirnov 40.92
    05. PangTong 39.90
    06. LangloisHay 37.60
    07. DubeDavison 36.16
    08. VolosozharMorozov 34.62
    09. MukhortovaTrankov 34.24
    10. EvoraLadwig 33.10

I wouldnt have Zhangs above PT or KS. It must be because of their higher base value.

Top 10 in PCS :

01. ShenZhao 34.24
    02. SavchenkoSzolkowy 33.72
    03. KawaguchiSmirnov 33.24
    04. PangTong 32.60
    05. DubeDavison 30.20 *
    06. MukhortovaTrankov 30.20 *
    07. ZhangZhang 30.20 *
    08. VolosozharMorozov 27.52
    09. LangloisHay 26.60
    10. EvoraLadwig 24.76

* Zhang, MT and Dsquared all tied in PCS I put the team with the highest Interpretation score first since is the most "artistic" of the PC categories. Maria and Maxim were a bit dumped and ShenZhao should have received at least 2.5 points of a lead above the rest of the field here.

Custom Title
    To the people who think Langlois/Hay were gifted... how/where do you think they were?

I'm in complete agreement that D/D were WAY overmarked. I thought they would have had 60 points... at the most and should have been 9th or 10th. I agree with how most people have put 'their' placements with P/T ahead of K/S and with L/H in 6th.

Here's hoping for a well-skated long with proper placements!

Custom Title
    Well, I don't mind the placement of D/D, M/T and V/M ... it could have been in any order between the 3 of them, but so long as it was sufficiently close (as it is). They all were lacking in the presentation area tonight. Pelletier was surprised by their ranking in relation to Langlois and Hay, and said he'd need to look at the protocols. I think the fall automatically gives a spectator the mentality that they should be lower, without considering the little differences that add up (in levels, GOEs, PCS). It's like Mirai's performance at Nationals - the performance seemed awesome, Scott Hamilton thought she'd make a strong case for the title, and then she fell short by a wide margin, because of so many URs. It's the same type of thing here with D/D placement compared to L/H; D/D stronger in PCS.

It could be seen as either a fault or strength of the code of points. It rewards non jump elements, but causes seemingly odd placements to the viewers. And it allows people to cry bias, when there isn't always a valid reason to...which is what upsets me the most. Cries of inflation happened way before D/D took to the ice.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Another vote for K&S - I thought they were great, overall the best after S&Z. I share the general shock at D&D.

I was pleasantly surprised by Z&Z after their struggles this season. Thank God they changed their program!

Honestly I could hardly take in S&Z's performance - my heart was in my throat and I was chugging champagne (it being Valentine's Day and all) to relieve the stress. And of course because Scott and Sandra were so irritating. (The sound went off for a few moments - it was nice just to have the skating!) I'll have to rewatch it after this competition is over.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 02-15-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    -For once I do agree with Scott about something... Tatiana needs a new partner! Stans seriously holding them back. It's like she's carrying all the weight! Pity because they do have nice lifts.
    -Poor Masha & Max. Masha's so pretty yet so disappointed. Someone give Max a hug!
    I don't think it's that bad. Morozov's going back into retirement -- he only came back so she would have someone to skate with (I think that's sweet!) Now she's gotten noticed and has lots of new partnership offers.

Poor Trankov. But I liked how she was comforting him in the K&C. A far cry from the death glares she used to give.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    Let's play a game. How would YOU have placed the teams? Here's mine.

1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    3. Pang/Tong
    4. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    5. Zhang/Zhang
    6. Langlois/Hay
    7. Voloshazar/Morozov
    8. Mukhortova/Trankov
    9. Dube/Davison
    1. Shen/Zhao
    2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
    3. Pang/Tong
    4. Savchenko/Szolkowy
    5. Zhang/Zhang
    6. Langlois/Hay
    7. Voloshazar/Morozov
    8. Mukhortova/Trankov
    9. Dube/Davison

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post

Poor Trankov. But I liked how she was comforting him in the K&C. A far cry from the death glares she used to give.
    Yes, I thought it was very sweet how Maria was hugging and comforting Maxim in the kiss and cry, he looked absolutely crushed. Vasiliev, on the other hand, looked none too pleased...

Custom Title
    Aside from the double twist, there really was nothing lacking for Langlois and Hay. They fell behind b/c of PCS and GOE which is odd considering the speed, flow and attack they displayed in every element.

Custom Title
    was amazed by Pang and Tong,,,,,,,,,,,such a beautiful program

the Russian fed is so annoying!!!! have to say, I never enjoy K/S's program,,,over the top,,, they dont have their own style,,,do they really think they are B/S???? can't understand why Miss K was unhappy about the score

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Well K/S are really unpopular around here. uhh?? I was amazed at how they keep improving and nailing that beautiful SP. I was rooting all night for P/T but I thought the russiands deserved the 3rd place. I do agree PantTong shoul be closer ,and were marked way too low, they shoul be at least 73 points.
    I agree about Pang/Tong, but I guess I just don't understand K/S. I appreciated their program more when I watched it a second time, but I don't understand the +GOE when she clearly collides with him on the triple twist, does a wonky looking death spiral, and has an iffy landing position on the throw. I thought the performance was good, definitely one of the better performances of the night, but was it really just about as good as S/Z? I'm not convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm Canadian and I even think D&D's score was WAY TOO HIGH. I would have liked to see Langlois and Hay over them. D&D are too inconsistent and I really believe L&H are truly Canada's best pair. I was impressed with Evora & Ladwig, but surprised to see Denney & Barrett finish so low. I guess the doubling of the SBS jump on Caydee's part really screwed them. All the pairs ahead of D&D were amazing. The bad performances of Mukhortova & Trankov and Volosozhar & Morozov were surprising.
    I, too, was surprised about M/T, but not with V/M... Their skating was similar to how it usually is, and that music sure isn't helping them any. If their program wasn't so awful (IMO, anyway), I definitely would have had them ahead of the two teams- D/D and M/T- who fell. I agree with you that D/D should have been below L/H tonight, although L/H didn't do a triple twist and skated a little slow.

I wasn't really surprised with D/B's placement. They had an error, and a clean short on the Grand Prix this season scored them in the 55 point area, which gives us a general idea of how they are received internationally... We had to have known coming into this that the 2 U.S. pairs we were sending didn't have great scoring potential in front of an international panel. I think D/B's consistency (and the fact that they will attempt more technical difficulty than a couple teams ahead of them) will definitely allow them to move up tomorrow, but those huge scores they were getting at Nationals aren't going to happen internationally where the judges care about more than just who can stay on their feet.
    Last edited by gold12345; 02-15-2010 at 01:24 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    I'll be crushed if P/T end up in 4th again. ESPECIALLY if they shafted for the sake of K/S. Sigh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    I'll be crushed if P/T end up in 4th again. ESPECIALLY if they shafted for the sake of K/S. Sigh.
    Please, enough with K/S hate. K/S might actually win, what 4th place? P/T's problem is not K/S but their regularly downgraded a level or two and the fact that they not Chinese Number one. Thats' life.

Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post

I, too, was surprised about M/T, but not with V/M... Their skating was similar to how it usually is, and that music sure isn't helping them any.
    I don't recall EVER seeing them skate before (V&M that is), but I just (probably wrongfully) expected more from them because I knew about their good past results.

Custom Title
    The Olympic website put up the skate order for the Pairs Long and S/Z will skate last. They opened the Pairs event and they will close the Pairs Event. Hopefully with another world and olympic record and the Gold !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kyla2 View Post
    When the two main commentators, Sandra Bezic and Scott Hamilton, verbalize that they don't understand how some of these scores were arrived at i.e. they were inflated for less than perfect skates, we have a problem.

considering they're the ones that made the CoP possible because of their comments in SLC, I wouldn't just outrightly say - yeah something's wrong. they're good at letting emotion get teh better of them.

THAT being said - They've been spot on IMO tonight (so far, I just got done watching P&T skate). Dube and Davison were more than given a gift tonight.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast