Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Rinkside
    Well, you could express your opinion, but it is really 'special' compared with what others think. I could only say that you're really 'uique'. Anyway, I'm pretty sure none of your supported couples would get the result you desire finally.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I don't understand anything you just said. Really. Please clarify.
    me too.aftertherain.

i think sophia KP is too IMAGINATIVE, so we dont understand it.

anyway sophia KP, STOP thinkig that any figure skaters and couples ARE FIXED for a medal.
    its STUPID.
    every topskaters has the chance to get a gold, and every figureskaters may make a mistkake and miss a medal.
    Plushy might not get a gold, and japanese ladies may miss medals.but why not yuna?
    Last edited by yangjie; 02-15-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    I would put
    1st: S/S
    2nd: S/Z
    3rd: K/S
    4th: P/T
    5th: Z/Z

S/Z is kinda hollow and boring.
    S/S massive triple flip throw should put them over in the first place.

The top 2 teams don't have the details down to the tee like K/S. K/S deserve their PCS for all of the little details and nuances they do in each elements. P/T is clean, but lack the wow factor. I don't think they're much better than Amanda Evora and her partner, to be honest.

P/T, Z/Z overscored and should be under 70.

The top 3 should be a bit closer.
    Well, you could express your opinion, but it is really 'special' compared with what others think. I could only say that you're really 'uique'. Anyway, I'm pretty sure none of your supported couples would get the result you desire finally.

Iam so disappointed i couldn't watch this but with the time difference i could not as i work. I cannot find any clips on yt at all. If someone uploads the short program of Shen and zhao somewhere and could send me it i would appreciate it so much.

Custom Title
    I think everyone should use the live judging feature, and then write about their placements. In my own mind, I thought Pang/Tong were better last night than Kawaguchi/Smirnov. But, when it came down to it, my OWN scores that I gave the couples were 72.30 vs. 71.60, in favor of the Chinese. They then received the -1 deduction for a time violation, and my scorecard had K/S beating them by .30 points. Watching this as a casual fan and not scoring it, I think I would never guess it would be that close, let alone having the Russians on top. So while we all watch and think, oh there's some traveling or lack of unison in that spin, or I don't like the flow of that throw jump, when you actually score it as a whole, you might surprise yourself!
    Last edited by Tony Wheeler; 02-15-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    The top 5 teams are so close together that it's anybody's game. I thought that S&Z would separate themselves from the pack after that performance, but the other teams really brought it. Should be a good competition tonight. So happy for S&S- that was the best they've done that program all season.

I was disappointed that NBC did not explain P&T's 1 point deduction. Casual fans watching at home would have no idea why that point was taken off.

Custom Title
    For what it's worth, someone who saw it live prefered D/D to L/H - the former were faster, with better edging, stronger elements in general (and also incredibly thankful that DesertRoad isn't judging - I can't imagine someone thinking they deserved the lowest PCS of the competition, and that's what he would've given them.)

I'll just repeat my comments from the other thread

I have no complaints about the results, but there was so much easy lyrical music being used, especially with the top teams. There was no change of tempo (except for Firebird). Langois/Hay at least danced a waltz on the ice - the others just carefully executing their elements with a dreamy look on their faces. I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I'll just repeat my comments from the other thread

I have no complaints about the results, but there was so much easy lyrical music being used, especially with the top teams. There was no change of tempo (except for Firebird). Langois/Hay at least danced a waltz on the ice - the others just carefully executing their elements with a dreamy look on their faces. I even would have welcomed a Carmen Pairs just to liven up the event. Come to think of it, AFAIK, there has never been a Carmen Pairs which would make more sense than using it for singles.

Hoping for a bit of excitement tonight in the LP.
    I think one of the pairs teams actually did do a Carmen... some team that skated in the middle of the pack. And Gordeeva/Grinkov did Carmen for their SP in 88 I believe.

I'm also not a fan of the tinkly no theme music. Langlois/Hay had tinkly music but they actually showed that it was a waltz, and I like knowing the theme of a program - if there was no music you could still tell they were doing a waltz, whereas other teams you could put on anything and their moves could go with it IMO.

I'm sure to make some people scream..but I agree with almost all the placements ( K/S maybe not quite so close to the top ,considering the twist ) ...I admit there's a bit of a muddle around 6-7-8 that doesn't sit well with me. I don't think D/D should be above L/H but I'm really not so sure they should be below M/T as some would have it. I think Both D/D and M/T were given quite generous PCS ..both generally a point above corresponding marks for L/H. I can't quite buy it .

I think D/D have been given the "national Champion " allowance , and I don't like to see it. I'm going to re-watch before I call it a night , now that I know the scores , and see if it makes any more sense to me...I kind of doubt it.
    Great minds think alike. Completely agree with everything said.

also incredibly thankful that DesertRoad isn't judging
    Please don't feed the anti-Canadian trolls
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 02-15-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gold12345 View Post

Yes, that was really sweet, especially knowing how cold they've sometimes been to each other in the past!
    Definitely. To be honest, when their SP ended, I was totally expecting a Fusar-Poli-style death glare from Maria to Max. Glad to see I was wrong.

Well, I hope this rapport carries over to the LP and they skate their hearts out, they really have nothing to lose at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    I think one of the pairs teams actually did do a Carmen... some team that skated in the middle of the pack. And Gordeeva/Grinkov did Carmen for their SP in 88 I believe.

I'm also not a fan of the tinkly no theme music. Langlois/Hay had tinkly music but they actually showed that it was a waltz, and I like knowing the theme of a program - if there was no music you could still tell they were doing a waltz, whereas other teams you could put on anything and their moves could go with it IMO.
    Well, NBC would not let me see the Carmen.

I do agree with you that what was all that lyrical music about? It was a step above background music and totally unecessary. Music is used because it is mandatory yet how many skaters use it competitively? Their instincts say get the points and do not let the music get in your way. Faux ballet arms and dreamy eyes are not enough! I think this Pairs group showed that music is not important and should be eliminated in future competitions. I would agree to that and we can all see who does the best triple twist.

Quote Originally Posted by yangjie View Post
    me too.aftertherain.

i think sophia KP is too IMAGINATIVE, so we dont understand it.

anyway sophia KP, STOP thinkig that any figure skaters and couples ARE FIXED for a medal.
    its STUPID.
    every topskaters has the chance to get a gold, and every figureskaters may make a mistkake and miss a medal.
    Plushy might not get a gold, and japanese ladies may miss medals.but why not yuna?
    Is there any chance that you can leave the ladiezzzzzz meltdowns for threads about the ladies?

Bad enough that all the Korea vs Japan crap goes on at all but to have it spill out into threads about the pairs just gets on my nerves.

Ant

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Well, NBC would not let me see the Carmen.

I do agree with you that what was all that lyrical music about? It was a step above background music and totally unecessary. Music is used because it is mandatory yet how many skaters use it competitively? Their instincts say get the points and do not let the music get in your way. Faux ballet arms and dreamy eyes are not enough! I think this Pairs group showed that music is not important and should be eliminated in future competitions. I would agree to that and we can all see who does the best triple twist.

Anyways, I think the reason why pairs often use lyrical, soft and twinkly music with dreamy expressions is because many people seem to have the impression that the ultimate ideal of pairs is ROMANCE. People go on and on about "chemistry" and "connection" in regards to pairs skating, and it's a bit sad to see programs like S/S's Send in the Clowns get a bit of the shaft because it isn't as "pretty" as the softer, more romantic programs. It's not a surprise that pairs skaters often go over lyrical music set to a romantic theme, then--judges seem to like it, people gobble it up and I suppose yearning glances are easier to choreograph than something more original.
    Last edited by evangeline; 02-15-2010 at 10:58 AM.

My takes:

Skate of the night: Shen/Zhao
    Wuzrobbed: Pang/Tong
    Wuzgifted: Dube/Davison (at least K/N went clean and have much better skating)
    Team to watch: Lazarova/Barinov (what a surprise...)
    [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] moment: Trankov's spill (I'm still in shock)
    Endearing moment: Murktova being supportive of Trankov (coming from the permafrown queen, this is sweet)
    Worst costume: Hausch/Wende, easily
    Best costume: Morand/Dorsaz
    Pretty girl: Vera Lazarova (she looks like a porcelan doll)
    Hawt boy: Smirinov (we need a drooling smilie)
    Yay moment: Evora/Ladwig, Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao going clean

Steuer probably has brought a really big suitcase, given the amount of team jackets from different countries that he has...
    Everytime I watch S/S' SP, I wish they bring Asoka back...

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast