Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Short Program, Sunday 14th, 7:30PM EST

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Dube/Davison skated a Carmen LP last season. Granted, it was a pretty limp renedition...

Anyways, I think the reason why pairs often use lyrical, soft and twinkly music with dreamy expressions is because many people seem to have the impression that the ultimate ideal of pairs is ROMANCE. People go on and on about "chemistry" and "connection" in regards to pairs skating, and it's a bit sad to see programs like S/S's Send in the Clowns get a bit of the shaft because it isn't as "pretty" as the softer, more romantic programs. It's not a surprise that pairs skaters often go over lyrical music set to a romantic theme, then--judges seem to like it, people gobble it up and I suppose yearning glances are easier to choreograph than something more original.
    Ah Romance! It's very competitive in Pairs and Dance - and so is that other chestnut "Artistry" in Singles

Evangeline, you hit the nail on it's head. Pretty easy to follow music and showing romance is a must for Pairs. Dance,at least follows the rhythm of the music. Let's face it, Stoyko is 95% correct. It is a Sport or it wouldn't be in the Olympics. Isn't Mogul skiing judged on Form in addition to speed?

And the biggest judgement for romance and artistry is opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    Worst costume: Hausch/Wende, easily
    WHAT?!?!?!?!?! You did see Volosozar&Morosov didn't you? Hausch and Wende's was not good but the horrific blue tin foil of V&M (especially on him!) is by far the worst costume in the pairs at least...dance is a whole nuther story!

Ant

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Then I'm sure you'll enjoy this lovely picture of Stanislav Morozov. The race for biggest travesty in the short program is between that outfit and Dube/Davison's scores. At least with the shiny tights, we knew it was coming and could prepare for it with a good dose of antiemetics.

Custom Title
    As for me-I support Germans.Go Savchenko/Szolkowy!
    http://worldskating.blogspot.com

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by beep_beep View Post
    My takes:

Skate of the night: Shen/Zhao
    Wuzrobbed: Pang/Tong
    Wuzgifted: Dube/Davison (at least K/N went clean and have much better skating)
    Team to watch: Lazarova/Barinov (what a surprise...)
    [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] moment: Trankov's spill (I'm still in shock)
    Endearing moment: Murktova being supportive of Trankov (coming from the permafrown queen, this is sweet)
    Worst costume: Hausch/Wende, easily
    Best costume: Morand/Dorsaz
    Pretty girl: Vera Lazarova (she looks like a porcelan doll)
    Hawt boy: Smirinov (we need a drooling smilie)
    Yay moment: Evora/Ladwig, Pang/Tong, Shen/Zhao going clean

Steuer probably has brought a really big suitcase, given the amount of team jackets from different countries that he has...
    Everytime I watch S/S' SP, I wish they bring Asoka back...

Rinkside
    A bit disappointed by Vanessa and Yannick. Still, a pair to watch in the future!

Pang and Tong seem to have been underscored, or at least, Kavaguti and Smirnov were way overscored.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    ik. the maria scene was so sweet.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertroad
    Then I'm sure you'll enjoy this lovely picture of Stanislav Morozov. The race for biggest travesty in the short program is between that outfit and Dube/Davison's scores. At least with the shiny tights, we knew it was coming and could prepare for it with a good dose of antiemetics.

OUCH. You have quite possibly the wickedest mouth on this forum (and I love it). (Are you Johnny??)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Anyways, I think the reason why pairs often use lyrical, soft and twinkly music with dreamy expressions is because many people seem to have the impression that the ultimate ideal of pairs is ROMANCE. People go on and on about "chemistry" and "connection" in regards to pairs skating, and it's a bit sad to see programs like S/S's Send in the Clowns get a bit of the shaft because it isn't as "pretty" as the softer, more romantic programs. It's not a surprise that pairs skaters often go over lyrical music set to a romantic theme, then--judges seem to like it, people gobble it up and I suppose yearning glances are easier to choreograph than something more original.
    I dunno - while I see where you're coming from, Savchenko/Szolkowy are second by only seven tenths of a point AND the audience sorta thought they should be in first, and I think. I also think that S/S's program is very soft - what program is softer (even the more romantic programs this season seem to have a harder edge than that).

pour atteindre l'inaccessible étoile! 1795's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

S/Z is kinda hollow and boring.
    S/S massive triple flip throw should put them over in the first place.
    the clowns were the "hollow and boring" ones and one great element doesn't justif placement even in this context.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I dunno - while I see where you're coming from, Savchenko/Szolkowy are second by only seven tenths of a point AND the audience sorta thought they should be in first, and I think. I also think that S/S's program is very soft - what program is softer (even the more romantic programs this season seem to have a harder edge than that).
    I had Shen and Zhao and the Germans tied after the SP, and that is pretty much what it is. I prefered the Germans, but I can understand why Shen and Zhao are ahead by a hair. Why Dube ans Davidson were held up like that but fellow Canadians Langois and Hay thrown under the bus is beyond me. I think Evora and Ludwig were also cheated a little.

The protocols had Annabelle Langlois and Cody Hay quite low (mid-6s) on every element of the PCS. Not sure I agree w/ that but that was the difference. Full protocols aren't on there (isufs) yet but the TES and each individual PCS score are.

Custom Title
    I'm so happy for S/Z! That was perfect! Glad that S/S, P/T and Z/Z had a clean programs! So exciting to watch. K/S was good, but IMO should be behind P/T, at least close in score with P/T. P/T wozrobbed. D/D and M/T got a bit gifted IMO, but they skated beautifully other than the fall. Sorry for L/H, even they just did a double twist, D/D's triple twist was by no means spectaclar. The second american pair did a great job! All in all, a great competition. Wish S/Z go clean and skate their hearts out again in the LP, and for P/T get the marks they deserve!!!

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    OUCH. You have quite possibly the wickedest mouth on this forum (and I love it). (Are you Johnny??)
    God, I hope not. I... I mean he really should be praticing and getting ready for tomorrow's competition.

I've watched the replay on nbcolympics.com (some watching for the 2nd or in S/Z's case, the 3rd time), here's what I think watching the replay....

First flight is on...
    -Watching Shen & Zhao for the 3rd time still gives me goosebumps! So much love between them! They even played "Truly Madly Deeply" (the Cascada version) during K&C before the Estonians went on. How cute!
    -The Estonians were okay. Pity on the fall on the throw and the step out. Like the lemon meringue pie color! Too bad Elena didn't go to pairs with her brother Ilja.
    -The Polish... blah! Only two people can pull of that music: Mao Asada and Al Pacino in Scent Of A Woman.

Here's Flight #2...
    -Caydee & Jeremy skated okay (2nd time watching since last night) but lacked that spark from Nationals.
    -Germany's #2... [color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color][color=red]*[/color] is Maylin wearing? This isn't a day at the beach. And people complained about lack of modesty in figure skating! At least Daniel was channeling Jeremy Abbott's SP costume. Performance was very blah!
    -Vanessa & Yannick... great performance from them. Great height on their throw triple twist. Pity on Ness' double.

(ice break and here some Josee Chouinard at the stands)

Time for #3....
    -Vera & Yuri.... whoever said that they have a bright future, you're right! They can really improve by Sochi! Love Vera's line.
    -Amanda & Mark... liking it more the 2nd time around, especially without Scott and Sandra blabbing! Is it me or is Mark and Jeremy (Barrett) separated at birth? LOL
    -Tinybelle & Cody... Love, love, love! I said that it was inflated. I will take it back. It was a well earned score but they still won't be a threat if they're doing a double twist instead of a triple. How D-squared scored ahead of them is beyond me.
    -Ukrainian #2... massive blah! CARMEN?!?!! And a gosh awful version of that. NEXT!!!

Start of the 2nd half....
    -Italians... they were okay. Nothing more or less. Kinda overmarked for a performance like that.
    -K-squared (Kemp & King)... are they copying the other K-squared (the Kerrs) by using a Linkin Park song? It was good but not great. Cute at K&C!
    -Swiss... 2nd time during the short we're hearing Queen. Attractive pair. Nice "Tano" twist! Much better that Kemp & King. Interesting they used "Gold digger" for K&C! A bit undermarked! Should've been higher than the Italians.

(watching Josee at the stands again... is it too late to hire JRo do that even though she's hired by CTV?)

Time for the Russian-Ukrainian sandwich to the music of "Bad Romance" (looking for Johnny Gaga to come out and skate during the warmup )
    -Masha & Max... for Max. Nice to see a kinder, gentler Masha. Oleg's giving a Babs stare. It's just odd to mess up on the SP. Ironically they're playing Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me" during K&C. Hopefully they'll rebound tonite.
    -Tatz & Stans and those electric blue costumes.... who do you think Tatiana's next partner should be? She's too talented to be held back like this. Haha on Ingo wearing the Ukraine jacket before switching it back to the German one.
    -Yuko & Sasha... while I still think they were a little overmarked, they did deserve their 3rd place spot. They're skating a with a little more confidence now that they won Euros. Still not a fan of their LP and still hoping they don't win but we'll see what happens.

Time for the poutine, dim sum, radish cake, and sauerkraut finale!
    -D-Squared (Dube & Davison)... I turned off my speakers because I will not hear "Requiem For A Dream". Can that music be banned just like US Weekly banned Speidi stories? MASSIVELY GIFTED!!! I usually like them but come on.. how they are ahead of Tinybelle & Cody and Masha & Max is beyond me?
    -Pang & Tong... ROBBED!!! Their scores should've been within tenths from Yuko & Sasha. One of my favorite performances of the night. Can anyone explain why they got a 1-point deduction? They finished on time!
    -Zhang-squared... All tricks, no artistry! :sheesh: At least they're not in the top 3 right now so I'll accept that!
    -Our favorite clowns (Ali & Robin)... what a finish to a great pairs competition. They are in par with Shen/Zhao so I'm not surprised how close the scores are. Very cute that Ali was wiping off Robin's cheek after she kisses him. Ingo looks good no matter which jacket he wears. Plus using Miley's "Party In The USA" is a great way to end the night. They should've renamed it "Party In Van BC".

It was great watching it all over again without any commentary!
    Last edited by ARipp42014; 02-15-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast