Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Short and Long Track Speed Skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    BTW, wonbinfan86, where are YOUR SIX OLYMPIC MEDALS? Oh, that's right, you don't have any!

Oh please! How many of them are gold? Besides the fact that half of them were won because of DQ's or falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    There a TON of reasons people watch short track besides to follow Apolo.

Only 2 gold, and he won the medals just because he's the only racer to have participated in 3 Olympics, not necessarily through superior talent.

I agree there are plenty of reasons to watch short track and I find it an entertaining sport.

I read that Apollo is lucky, and other more negative things about him.
    I am no expert in short track but this much I know. Apollo could have retired and he returned because he loves the sport and Vancouver is close to his home and heart.

He is a very popular athlete in a country that does not really care about his sport. He doesn't need the money and I admit I respect him for training so hard and competing one last time in Vancouver.

I think in a demanding sport like short track making three Olympic teams is quite an accomplishment. Winning medals now in three different Olympics is also quite an accomplishment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea21307 View Post
    BTW, wonbinfan86, where are YOUR SIX OLYMPIC MEDALS? Oh, that's right, you don't have any!
    Your ad hominem argument won't change the fact that only 2/6 of the olympic medals were gold, Ahn Hyun Soo earned 3 gold medals in one olympics WITHOUT having to rely on bad calls / DQs. Any olympian will tell you that he/she dreams of winning a GOLD medal not settle for 2nd or 3rd best, just because consolation prizes are given out at the olympics doesn't change the fact that any individual or team in ANY SPORT strives to be at the TOP. My argument is simply that people in the media should not be making dilettante remarks like "Apolo Ohno is the best of all the time just because his medal count is the highest ever". Yes this is a pretty good achievement but the so-called GOAT or BEST needs to do a LOT more to earn that distinction. Ahn Hyun-Soo has TWENTY gold medals at the world championships and ALL OF THEM were earned fair and square with no DQs/Referee intervention, Apolo has 9 but 7-8 of them were b/c of flopping, cheating, DQS, and bad calls.
    Last edited by wonbinfan86; 02-15-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Custom Title
    Does anyone else think that Jeremy Wotherspoon looks an awful lot like Wentworth Miller (lead from the TV show Prison Break)?

SHANI!!! Another gold for USA! Plus congrats Chad on the bronze!

SILVER FOR CANADA!!!

And she won it on her Birthday too!! Talk about giving yourself a Birthday Gift!!

Not sure what I enjoyed more earlier...Shani's reaction after his race and win or Stephan Colbert's. He was literally jumping up and down in the stands.

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    Congrats shani and chad on the gold & bronze in the men's 1000m speed skaing!!!

Way to go Shani! - the first man ever to win back to back OGM's in the 1000

Custom Title
    I am so sad for Jeremy! This is possibly his last olympics and just did not have what it takes to go return home with a medal. Happy for Shani Davies and a fantastic win for him.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Long-track and short-track speedskating are quite different, and I don't think they should have been combined into one thread. But in any case, Ahn Hyun-su and Jin Sun-yu were two of the best short-track skaters I have ever seen (along with Meng Wang, who is so incredibly dominant, her rivals usually don't even get close to her.) I'm quite disappointed in some of the stories I heard about Lee Ho-suk and his faction wrangling a spot on the Olympic team from Ahn. He was indeed careless and greedy in not wanting to settle for bronze in the potential podium sweep and knocking out his teammate in his quest.

As for long track, has anyone heard of the ice conditions in Vancouver? I've read somewhere that most of the wins are coming from slower than expected performances, and that the ice quality has something to do with it...?

Custom Title
    Congratulations to Shani for winning the gold in the 1000m and Tae Bum as well for the silver along with the gold in the 500m! Also, congratulations to Sang Hwa for winning the gold in the 500m!
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    As a Korean American this is my feeling: It is almost inborn for Koreans to hate Apolo. It's scary to believe an entire country can be against one person who is not even evil. He is only an athlete, but Koreans hate him like he's imperial Japan. When I see Koreans get so angry at Apolo and attack with racist remarks I get embarrassed. I never knew my relatives could be so racist!

It's pathetic to read Korean people here attack Apolo by saying untruthful remarks. I cannot say if poor sportsmanship is a true or false attribute of Apolo, but poor skating skills? No talent? Even as a Korean, I know that is NOT TRUE. He is a great short track skater!

I think it's all right to believe Apolo's comments are unsportsmanlike or one does not enjoy his skating, but to make false and biased statements such as he has poor skating skills makes the aggressor look ridiculous.

Back to speed skating

Wang Meng is unstoppable!!!!!!!!! She is truly one of the greatest women in this sport! No one else can match her speed!

Sven Kramer was also the favorite and succeeded. Good job to him. Most of the favorites have delivered. Wang Meng, Sven Kramer, Shani Davis. Hehe, the only times the favorites haven't delivered are when a Korean surprisingly wins. IE, Mo Tae Bum, Lee Sang Hwa

Mo Tae Bum is the newest young star in Korea now! His nickname is Motor Bum. Already one gold and one silver! This is unexpected and incredible games for him. In one interview, he said he would be so happy to have one medal of each color! All that is left is bronze in the 1500m.

Really unfortunate results for Jenny Wolf and Wang Beixing. They have been going back and forth as the top 500m female speed skater. Lee Sang Hwa came from beneath their shadows to take the gold! Lee Sang Hwa is a cutie and is garnering a lot of attention in Korea now. I predict a lot of endorsements and commercial opportunities for her when she comes home.

Korean short track males are impressive, but the females not so much. Maybe they should pick up speed skating instead. Lee Sang Hwa has no competition in Korea so she trains with the male speed skaters. Maybe after her gold medal, young short track girls will change their mind and turn to speed skating.

RELAYS ARE GOING TO BE SO EXCITING! Actually, I dread the competition between Korea and USA because it's going to blow up Korea, whether a good or bad result. I'm more excited for the womens relay. China with Wang Meng is going to be crazy hard to beat. I think the other countries are fighting for silver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrock View Post
    As a Korean American this is my feeling: It is almost inborn for Koreans to hate Apolo. It's scary to believe an entire country can be against one person who is not even evil. He is only an athlete, but Koreans hate him like he's imperial Japan. When I see Koreans get so angry at Apolo and attack with racist remarks I get embarrassed. I never knew my relatives could be so racist!
    No, many people don't like Apolo because of his lack of sportsmanship on the ice. I've seen him purposely slap (Yes, SLAP!), punch, push Korean skaters during a race. It's like a full frontal assault. That's the way he wins his gold medals. He does it as he nears the finish line, very much like what happened the quarterfinal heats on Sat. to Lee Jung Su (Apolo's probably targetting him b/c he's #1 skater in this distance) and the skater is so shocked that they lose their pace and Apolo ends up first place. Short track skating is not a contact sport and he should be immediately DQ'd for this, but judges just tend to look the other way.

Sorry, I doubt that you're Korean? Maybe a troll?
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-18-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    Sorry, I doubt that you're Korean? Maybe a troll?
    Oh please. ootgijima. I say something negative about Korea so I must not be Korean??

Ask me something in Korean then and I'll answer for you. Or I can romanticize it too. I could try replying in Korean but my typing is really slow. plus i don't know the Korean keyboard by heart!

Just because I don't fall down over and worship everything and all things that are Korean doesn't mean I'm not. There are many, many things about Korea I love, but obsessive arguments about Apolo Ohno are not one of them!

What do you want to know? Back in the day I listened to Jinusean, Diva, Baby VOX, SES, FinkL, HOT, Tashannie, Sechskies, GOD, Shinhwa, Cool, Uptown, UP, Roo'ra and so on. Now I'm over Kpop and more into indie Krock or electro bands like Clazziquai, HUM, Casker..

I used to watch dramas back in the day like all the ones with Ryu Shi Won (hahaha) All About Eve, Last Match, Model, ByuleunNaeGaeseumEh my favorite! RIP Choi Jin Shil :( Now I have no time to watch dramas and they're all the same story anyways. A rich chaebol is mean at first falls in love with a quirky poor girl and turns into a nice guy who wants to live a normal life.
    Last edited by sunrock; 02-18-2010 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonbinfan86 View Post
    ...the so-called GOAT or BEST
    A little bit off topic, but I have a question about speed skating lingo. Does "goat" mean "the best?" In other sports the "goat" refers to the person whose bonehead play causes his team to lose. ("Here comes the field goal kicker onto the field. Will he be the hero or the goat?")

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast