Short and Long Track Speed Skating | Golden Skate

Short and Long Track Speed Skating

futureidol

On the Ice
Congrats to Apolo and JR on the first medals for team USA in Vancouver!!! Silver and Bronze in the 1500m Short Track.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Yay to Apolo's 6th medal and JR's 1st! I actually thought Olivier might have a chance but just imagine all 3 Koreans went down and Apolo won gold with Olivier winning bronze.

Time to watch Moguls! :)

Tigger

Final Flight
Now that was some kind of race!!

Feel bad for Charles Hamelin, but I knew after the first lap his legs just weren't w/him tonight. :sad:

They're replaying the Mens Long Track Race from earlier on CTV and I just wiped the drool off the TV *again* after watching Sven Kramer's Gold Medal Race. That man's strokes down the straightaways...So fluid and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

Did you all know this was The Netherlands' 100th Gold Medal when you combine both Summer and Winter Games? Considering how much they love their Speed Skating, very fitting that 100th Gold Medal for them comes from *their* sport. :)

ks777

Record Breaker
I was so happy to see both Apolo and JR win silver and bronze! Go Washington state!! I wish the koreans had taken the other korean with them.. Apolo would have won the gold! To bad!

Figure88

On the Ice
I was so happy to see both Apolo and JR win silver and bronze! Go Washington state!! I wish the koreans had taken the other korean with them.. Apolo would have won the gold! To bad!

Are you kidding me? You win speed skating because you can skate faster than other racers with better technique and strategy, not through some accidental wipe out of the frontrunners.. Lee Jung Su clearly earned the gold here (He's #1 in this distance, so no surprise here). Apolo took silver, but the way he wins races leaves a wierd afterthought. I wish I didn't feel like that. Still, Apolo did win this race fair and square.

Surprised Charles Hamelin didn't make it to the finals. He's a very strong skater. I guess 500m is more of his distance.

miki88

Medalist
I guess this is a little off topic, but did anyone find all the Korean skaters to be kinda cute? ;) The Korean who got gold is only 19 too. So young.:)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I really got into watching this! Apolo was awesome, what a competitor.

ARipp42014

Medalist
They're replaying the Mens Long Track Race from earlier on CTV and I just wiped the drool off the TV *again* after watching Sven Kramer's Gold Medal Race. That man's strokes down the straightaways...So fluid and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

Sven! :love:

Was watching earlier a report from Mary Carillo when she was in Holland and saw how much the Dutch love the sport (even giving love to Shani Davis). I just love the Orange People! :D

Since Jenn Heil didn't win gold, you think Clara will be the first today for Canada?

Tigger

Final Flight
I honestly don't know.

When I heard the Men's Downhill had been postponed yesteday, I had a baaaaad feeling about those Gold Medal Hopes.

Today's another day though. :)

PROKOFIEV

On the Ice
Are you kidding me? You win speed skating because you can skate faster than other racers with better technique and strategy, not through some accidental wipe out of the frontrunners.. Lee Jung Su clearly earned the gold here (He's #1 in this distance, so no surprise here). Apolo took silver, but the way he wins races leaves a wierd afterthought. I wish I didn't feel like that. Still, Apolo did win this race fair and square.

Surprised Charles Hamelin didn't make it to the finals. He's a very strong skater. I guess 500m is more of his distance.

You win speed skating because you can skate faster WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES!!! The accident happened because of lack of technique and strategy. You are right. Apolo and JR did get medals FAIR and SQUARE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! APOLO AND JR!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Right. Now read the comment Figure88 was responding to, in which ks777 wished the crash affected the leader as well as Apolo could win gold.

Figure88

On the Ice
You wil spee dskating because you can skate faster WITHOUT ANY MISTAKES!!! The accident happened because of lack of technique and strategy. You are right. Apolo and JR did get medals FAIR and SQUARE!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! APOLO AND JR!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!

We'll see who can actually skate with technique and strategy as opposed rely on DQ's and accidents to win their medals as the race progresses to the 1000m and the men's relay. I don't think it will be Apolo.

wonbinfan86

Match Penalty
I find it funny how the American media is all over Apolo Ohno b/c through a stroke of dumb luck he captured a silver medal, the Koreans should have gotten the 1-2-3 sweep b/c their skating skills are superior to Apolo's. As usual Apolo was far from a class act in the post-race interview giving ZERO credit to the WINNER of the race Lee Jung-Soo. And why the heck is the media anointing him as the goat of short track speed skating? the most basic of wikipedia searches will reveal how far behind he is in terms of world championship / world cup medals, etc. and let's not forget he only has TWO olympic gold medals out of the 6 he has earned so far. It's almost saying something like Andy roddick is the best tennis player ever b/c he was the runner-up at so many wimbledons!! who cares about Roger Federer he's not AMERICAN so therefore he's not a good tennis player.

He even had the audacity to make the following comments:
"A day later, after watching videotape of the race, he was spicier in his comments, claiming the Koreans impeded him and cost him a chance for gold. "With about 1 1/2 laps to go, (Lee) put his left hand over and blocked me. That's where I lost a lot of my speed,'' Ohno said. "If that didn't happen, the outcome would have been much different. I felt like all three of them were trying to line up behind me. When I was bumped, I felt impeded on. At that point, I had so much speed, there definitely was a distinction between me and the rest of the racers. That bump helped the two Koreans behind us and helped close the gap."

I find the above comments very ironic given how many times he's cheated his way onto a podium. He absolutely refuses to give any credit to his opponents and makes disgraceful comments like above and makes baseless accusations of cheating when he is known to the rest of the world as the king of cheating.

He went on to say:
"I proved the power that I've brought to these Games. I've proved my strength and that I'm a much different skater than in the past," he said. "I think that created some of the fear and confusion in the final; (his rivals) know that I'm stronger. I have many more events to compete in here, and I think I have an incredible opportunity that I could medal in three more."

There was no confusion Mr. Ohno, contrary to what you think all the Koreans outskated you and were able to pass you because they know you're slow and have poor skating skills, Lee Ho-Suk got greedy and made a careless error.

CONGRATULATIONS LEE JUNG SU ON YOUR FIRST OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL!!! AWESOME PERFORMANCE YOU OBLITERATED YOUR COMPETITORS! I AM SO HAPPY THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO PROVE TO THE WORLD THAT YOU NEED ACTUAL SKILL AND ATHLETICISM TO PASS THE THRESHOLD OF MEDIOCRITY AND WIN THE TREASURED MYTHICAL GOLD MEDAL!!!!!!!! :rock::clap::rock::thumbsup::love:

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
Well...that was rude. I heard him congratulate the gold medalist in at least a couple of interviews. Oh and like the Koreans have never cheated. And he's slow and has poor skating skills? LOL. Um...wow. I guess that's why he is tied for the most medals of any Olympian. Occasionally there are sloppy wins but I'm betting had the tables been turned, Lee Jung Su wouldn't have turned the medal down. So yes, congrats to Lee Jung Su but to say that Apolo cheated his way to where he is and that he has no skill and athleticism just takes the cake. To say that he cheated his way through is basically calling all the judges cheaters too then isn't it?

From Apolo's twitter last night:

#
Apolo Anton Ohno Congrat to Lee-Jung Su for winning the 1500m today--big congrats to JR for grabbing the Bronze! Wow Koreans are strong as always.

Last edited:

newvie

Rinkside
I follow the sport and Ohno is infamous to non-american skaters for his ungentlemanly behavior during competitions.
However, I don't think it is only Ohno who cheats. Every skater does their best to win and it's judges' role to detect it and penalize it properly. Ohno's Korean coach admitted in an interview (i think it was 2~3 years ago) that he taught his skaters on cheating skills and the only skater he recognized for clean technique was Hyunsoo Ahn. Therefore, I guess others cheat, too.

I think Ohno is a great skater. Whether he's lucky (or cheating) or not, it's never easy to earn so many medals. If there's anything i don't like about him, however, is his arrogance. Whenever he makes mistakes or does not well, he claims he has been impeded when it is not exactly true. When he gets a medal by luck (by wrong judgment or others' mistakes), he doesn't simply appreciate it, but goes further saying it was a rightful judgement or he deserves more (i.e. gold medal this time).

Thank god the Korean team is entangled in factional strife. It's really sad as a short track skating fan that I cannot see Ahn (the true genius and the victim of the stupidity of political power game), but Ohno will be able to set up the record without much difficulty.

"Good luck" to all the athletes who deserve to medal ;)

Figure88

On the Ice
I find it funny how the American media is all over Apolo Ohno b/c through a stroke of dumb luck he captured a silver medal, the Koreans should have gotten the 1-2-3 sweep b/c their skating skills are superior to Apolo's. :

I agree w/you here. It's usually the Koreans who make the races exciting with their crazy moves and spectacular skating skills. But as usual NBC gives only credit to Ohno and completely ignores the Koreans in the race.