Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Short and Long Track Speed Skating

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    A little bit off topic, but I have a question about speed skating lingo. Does "goat" mean "the best?" In other sports the "goat" refers to the person whose bonehead play causes his team to lose. ("Here comes the field goal kicker onto the field. Will he be the hero or the goat?")
    Greatest Of All Time

So Charlie Brown should be happy that he is the Greatest of All Time

(But Snoopy was a better skater)
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    CONGRATULATIONS LEE JUNG-SU FOR YOUR SECOND GOLD MEDAL FOR THE SHORT TRACK 1000M AND TO LEE HO-SUK FOR THE SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(as usual Apolo gave ZERO credit to the Koreans in the post-race NBC interview, he kept on making excuses and said that he should have won the race even though he was clearly OUTCLASSED, such a despicable "athlete". )

Medalist
    our overhyped canadian men chokes big time, as usual

Custom Title
    Okay, I seriously think Korea wuzrobbed in women's relay.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well done,judges in women's relay!

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by pengdequan View Post
    Well done,judges in women's relay!

That was an objectionable DQ. You shouldn't stoke bad feelings.

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post

That was an objectionable DQ. You shouldn't stoke bad feelings.
    If that shove to the chest wasn't against the rules, it should have been. Much harder, or it she'd been less skilled, and the Chinese skater could have fallen over(and then Canada might have won!)
    Last edited by MissIzzy; 02-25-2010 at 10:29 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    If that shove to the chest wasn't against the rules, it should have been. Much harder, or it she'd been less skilled, and the Chinese skater could have fallen over(and then Canada might have won!)
    That's ridiculous. There was no shove against the chest. NBC did like 3 or 4 slo-mo of the whole scene. The NBC commentator said that Korean skater's arm (which was at most outstretched) really didn't make contact with the Chinese skater. The commentator said that what actually happened was that the Chinese skater stepped on the skate of the Korean skater and due to that contact, the Chinese skater lost her speed. In any case, if that's considered interference, Apolo should have been immediately DQ'd for pushing Jung Su in the heats which was more intentional.

That said, S. Korea got the gold medal from 10,000m from a DQ, so I don't think they should make that big of a deal out of this.
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-25-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh, well, it was funny to see different versions of analysis from each side.
    TV commentator says it "might" be the blades, the referees "notifies" it's the physical contact, a chinese skater "guess" there was a foul and the Korean who made the foul "cries out" she didn't do anything wrong.

That's the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by newvie View Post
    Oh, well, it was funny to see different versions of analysis from each side.
    TV commentator says it "might" be the blades, the referees "notifies" it's the physical contact, a chinese skater "guess" there was a foul and the Korean who made the foul "cries out" she didn't do anything wrong.

That's the sport.
    The NBC commentator said there was definite contact with the blades--ie the Chinese skater stepped on Min Jung's blade; they also presented several different angles of Min-Jung's arm movements and it showed she hardly touched the Chinese skater. Chinese skaters are known to use those type of strong arm tactics. It's no coincidence that Wang Meng was DQ'd for elbowing Reutter in the 1500m. That's how the Chinese skaters race. Maybe the Korean skaters were fighting back?
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-25-2010 at 12:46 PM.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Figure88 View Post
    The NBC commentator said there was definite contact with the blades--ie the Chinese skater stepped on Min Jung's blade; they also presented several different angles of Min-Jung's arm movements and it showed she hardly touched the Chinese skater. Chinese skaters are known to use those type of strong arm tactics. It's no coincidence that Wang Meng was DQ'd for elbowing Reutter in the 1500m. That's how the Chinese skaters race. Maybe the Korean skaters were fighting back?
    Don't want to revive a dead topic but I find your "that's how the Chinese skaters race" comment very offensive. If anything, Korean skaters generally have the reputation for having "arm movements". The official reason for the DQ was "impedance", which is harder for amateurs to judge than pushing/shoving. Heck, most of the time, it's a 50/50 call. I feel sorry for the Koreans, but it really could have gone either way.

On the Ice
    Why so much hate on this topic? I love how all the controversies are always from short track.

Anyways, I agree that the DQ in the women's relay was questionable. I think that the Korean ladies should have taken it.

Then again, the Korean skater won the 10,000m with a DQ from Sven Kramer, who was amazing but didn't cross over. It must suck to lose the gold, let alone any other medal because he listened to his coach, who was dead wrong about the crossovers. But he made a huge mistake, so the DQ was justified I believe, along with every sports analysts. I find it impressive how the Lee Seung Hoon is skating in the long track team for only seven months and won silver and gold after he failed to make the national short track team.

As for Apollo, he is a great skater, but when he wins his medals he should be more gracious to his competitors and not say things like he would have had this happened or had he not pushed me. It just gives the Koreans more reason to hate him. I miss Ahn Hyun Soo. He is undoubtedly the greatest skater in the history of the sport.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to tomorrow night. It'll be exciting for short track.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pshla View Post
    Don't want to revive a dead topic but I find your "that's how the Chinese skaters race" comment very offensive. If anything, Korean skaters generally have the reputation for having "arm movements". The official reason for the DQ was "impedance", which is harder for amateurs to judge than pushing/shoving. Heck, most of the time, it's a 50/50 call. I feel sorry for the Koreans, but it really could have gone either way.
    Korean racers definitely DO NOT have a reputation for arm movements. You see more of that among Chinese racers. It's obvious you know nothing of short track. In fact, Koreans make as LITTLE bodily contact as possible because of unwarranted DQ calls. That's why you see most of them passing on the outside (which is extremely hard to do) rather than the inside so as to avoid contact with the racers. BTW, an outside pass is a signature Korean move. Certain racers like Wang MEng are known for her agressive arm movements. In fact, Meng is the one who was DQ'd for the elbow punch to Reutter's gut that ended up in the pile up in the 1500m recently. No surprise.

Sorry, it definitely could not have gone the other way. The only reason the Chinese racer lost her pace is because her skates clicked with Min Jung's. That's not the Korean racers fault. I suggest you take a look at the slo-mo, if you don't believe me or some news articles on the internet that come to the same conclusion.
    Last edited by Figure88; 02-26-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Well, it seems Apolo can get disqualified for tapping someone just like everyone else. Meanwhile Joannie's ex-boyfriend gets a bronze!
    Looking forward to the relay tonight. If nothing else, the visuals should be fun.

Canada wins gold in the relay too!! 4 Medals again today - 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze. We are now in the lead for gold medals with TEN! Way to go Canada!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast