Thread: NBC wins at jinxing

Hybrid View

NBC wins at jinxing

is it just me, or is NBC doing an phenominal job this year to jinx every "lock" they've called today? I don't think a single "lock for gold" athlete has won today. Every end of the event has been something like "did you think _____ would be the name on top?" or "well it was ______ until the event started" or whatever.

looks like Scott's talents have rubbed off on the other sports

Custom Title
    The biggest jinx is Canada's "Own the Podium" drive. Not only does it give the appearance of poor sportsmanship, but it is bad karma and it has put far too much pressure on the Canadian athletes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    The biggest jinx is Canada's "Own the Podium" drive. Not only does it give the appearance of poor sportsmanship, but it is bad karma and it has put far too much pressure on the Canadian athletes.
    Trust me, the dialogue right now about that idea is quite fascinating and very interesting in terms of national character.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Trust me, the dialogue right now about that idea is quite fascinating and very interesting in terms of national character.
    I liked Apollo's take on it. He said "Canadians might own the podium but we intend to borrow it for two weeks."

it reminds me of Skate Canada's Dore in the 80s with his "Medals, Medals, Medals" mantra that Kurt Browning "laughingly" wrote about in his autobiography

We may only have 11 medals but over half of them are gold...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    We may only have 11 medals but over half of them are gold...
    Canada is 5th in the medal standings, passed by the US, Germany, Norway and Russia, who have won 79 medals cumulatively, 23 of them gold. Overall, there have been 177 medals awarded, 59 of them gold. Therefore, other countries have won 90% of the overall medals, and 90% of the gold medals as well.

It was a mistake to have such a slogan as "own the podium", for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. It is really impossible for any one country to dominate the Olympic podium today anyway.
    Last edited by chuckm; 02-24-2010 at 12:38 PM.

Canada is 5th in the medal standings, passed by the US, Germany, Norway and Russia, who have won 79 medals cumulatively, 23 of them gold. Overall, there have been 177 medals awarded, 59 of them gold. Therefore, other countries have won 90% of the overall medals, and 90% of the gold medals as well.

It was a mistake to have such a slogan as "own the podium", for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post. It is really impossible for any one country to dominate the Olympic podium today anyway.
    Canada pulled out four medals today - including another gold - which ties us with the US and Germany for gold medals won. So in a sense, yes we are owning the podium - at least part of the top of it
    Last edited by i love to skate; 02-25-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Custom Title
    The US has twice the medals as Canada, and Germany has almost as many. As I said, NO ONE COUNTRY can claim to dominate the podium, Canada included.

Looking only at GOLD medals gives short shrift to the Canadians who won silver and bronze. One of the TV commentators remarked that Canadians are so focused on winning gold that if the win medals of a lesser color, they feel they've failed somehow. He said the Canadians are under tremendous pressure to win, more so than any other athletes.