Thread: "Slovenly snowboarder barred from opening ceremony and nearly kicked out games

Hybrid View

News "Slovenly snowboarder barred from opening ceremony and nearly kicked out of games

The dreadlocked 21-year-old drew sharp criticism for the way he wore Japan's official Olympic uniform when he traveled with the snowboard team to Vancouver and was not allowed to attend an arrival ceremony at the Olympic athletes' village held Wednesday.

Kokubo was seen at Narita International Airport with his tie loosened and his shirt hanging out of his trousers, which were worn low down off his hips.

The Ski Association of Japan was leaning toward kicking Kokubo out of the games altogether but Hashimoto persuaded the association to allow him to compete.
    In English
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100214a1.html

Kokubu's so-what attitude, saying "I reflect on myself," stretching the ending of the word (i.e., a joking tone) at a press conference, fueled the fire.......One of CEOs of Skating Association of Japan and the vice-president of the Japanese Olympian Team, Mr. Yukio Kasahara, also suggested that he would resign from the position and kick out Kokubo as well.
    In Japanese
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000239-sph-spo

Picture of "slovenly" Kokubo arriving at the airport
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100214a1.html

Are there any dress codes when olympians travel? Why does this have to result in not only barring him from opening ceremony but also kicking him out of the games and resignation of a CEO?
    Last edited by Bennett; 02-15-2010 at 01:56 AM. Reason: grammar

it sounds like a TEAM rule, not an Olympic rule.

kinda like when Johnny was told to tone it down with the CCCP jacket and Russian love during the games in Torino. You're not just representing yourself - whether you agree with it or not - your country is living through you for these two weeks. I don't see it as wrong or as a problem that a federation - who's paying your plane ticket, etc - acts that you conduct yourself appropriately while at those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    it sounds like a TEAM rule, not an Olympic rule.

kinda like when Johnny was told to tone it down with the CCCP jacket and Russian love during the games in Torino. You're not just representing yourself - whether you agree with it or not - your country is living through you for these two weeks. I don't see it as wrong or as a problem that a federation - who's paying your plane ticket, etc - acts that you conduct yourself appropriately while at those games.
    Hummm, I wouldn't argue if it were the opening ceremony, but it was just a flight...

Besides, wearing a jacket of some other country is another story.

Kokubu did wear the Japanese uniform, but did not wear it as neatly as they wanted him to (see the pic <http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/so20100214a1.html>).
    Last edited by Bennett; 02-14-2010 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Kokubu did wear the Japanese uniform but did not wear the tie and the pants as neatly as they wanted him to (see the pic).
    opperative word being "uniform"

once you're in a uniform you wear it like they tell you. It's disrespect, is what it is, I'd have the same reaction the federation did. It's stupidity on his part, as well as arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'd have the same reaction the federation did.
    Really? Kick him out of the games and a CEO resign from the position taking responsibility for his dressing sloppily while he traveled? I think that warning would have been enough.

You've got to remember though that we're talking about the Japanese here. They take respect *very* seriously and it is still a very rigid and traditional society.

It may seem way out of bounds of reason for us, but for the Japanese, I'm not surprised at all.