"Slovenly snowboarder barred from opening ceremony and nearly kicked out games | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Slovenly snowboarder barred from opening ceremony and nearly kicked out games

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
was it manditory to wear the uniform? if so - wear it the way it's supposed to be worn.

I'll bet if he got on the plane and got settled and the plane took off and he was under one of those blankets he could have gotten more comfy in them and no one would have noticed.

I totally understand wanting to be comfy, I don't wear contacts make up or anything like that and normally have pj pants on and wear flip flops for shoes.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Kokubo passed the qualification placing 4th scoring good. Yay!

Believe me or not, the Minister of Education, Sports, Culture, Science, and Technology commented that Kokubo's action/attitude was extremely regrettable.

I like wearing a suit for formal occasions, but I'd like to relax in comfortable cloths and don't even want to wear makeup during a long flight. Kokubo wore that uniform suit neatly at ceremonies back home. How he wears it during a long flight trip with bags to carry is IMO within a range of discretion.

I'm probably generalizing too much, but in Asia, especially in Japan, individuals are very liberal whereas social institutions are incredibly repressed IMO. Perhaps this could be attributed to issue of generation gap, but I believe there might be more to it.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Kokubo unfortunately fell after trying a big trick but still finished at 8th. Congrats!!

Alatariel

On the Ice
They barred not only Kokubo, but also his two coaches and snowboard team manager from attending the opening ceremony at the village on last Wed for not supervising him properly (group responsibility).

Kokubo also "voluntarily refrained" from attending the Olympic Opening Ceremony on last Sat 13th (Voluntary restraint is what Nobunari Oda did at the Japanese Nationals two seasons ago for DUI, in addition to being barred from attending the GP series. It's like self-punishment to express regrets to the outside pressures).

ETA: Kokubo's university's rationale for canceling a cheering party for Kokubo to watch his performances live was also "self-restraint." Kind of snow bowling effects.

I understand it's their culture but this in the 21st century...

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Hmm, I had no idea there was any kind of bruhaha about snowboarder's appearances. But yet last night, when I was watching the qualifications and finals, I couldn't help but think what a completely different attitude snowboarders have rom other Olympic athletes, and how obvious it is. It's almost like there's no dignity, with pants half-way down your hips, rocking out and singing along to your iPod mere seconds from (and during!) your competition run.

I realize that's the culture and atmosphere of snowboarding, just like it is for skateboarding and other X-games-type sports. It just clashes with the general Olympic atmosphere, though.

I don't really want snowboarders to go all stuffy in their demeanor and whatnot, but surely there's a happy middle that's somewhere in between hippy-dippy rebel/casual-practically seeing your boxers and acting like an old Soviet gymnast. (Not that I'm knocking them either. ;) )

Does that make sense?

Bennett

Record Breaker
was it manditory to wear the uniform? if so - wear it the way it's supposed to be worn.

I'll bet if he got on the plane and got settled and the plane took off and he was under one of those blankets he could have gotten more comfy in them and no one would have noticed.

I totally understand wanting to be comfy, I don't wear contacts make up or anything like that and normally have pj pants on and wear flip flops for shoes.

It seems mandatory to wear the uniform while they travel. But what is the way it is supposed to be worn during a flight trip? Here is an article titled, "Kokubo goes home properly dressed," even though he did not wear a tie, neither did the other athletes. An important item that indicates formality, the tie, is lacking, but it is still considered to be "proper" at the airport if you have your shirt neatly in your pants. Was Kokubo disrespectful because the way he wore the uniform was against many people's preferences and others' examples, rather than he didn't dress it in the way it was supposed to be?
In Japanese
http://vancouver.yahoo.co.jp/news/ndetail/20100221-00000000-jij_van-spo

Last edited: