Top Ladies LP math/element analysis & comparisons to their "Yu-Na beating" LPs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Top Ladies LP math/element analysis & comparisons to their "Yu-Na beating" LPs

nghtvsn

Rinkside

Program Components
In addition to the technical score, the judges will award points on a scale from 0 to 10 with increments of 0.25 for the program components to express the overall presentation and technical mastery of figure skating. The program component score (PCS) is calculated and factored by specified percentages.

In ladies, men's and pairs, the following five components are scored in the qualifying round, the short program and the free skate. In ice dancing, the following five components are scored in the original dance and the free dance:

Does this mean that the judges are creating the unfactored PCS values as they are viewing the performance? That's my question.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So how come Yuna is the only one being forced while Mao can merrily ignore 3S? *confused*

Or based on your biased remark earlier -- which I responded to but you chose to igore -- you obviously want a way to bring Yuna down and prop Mao up... by changing the system?

And unless I'm mistaken I think Yuna may be able to throw 3F/3T or 3F/2T in there since she does 3F as a solo jump. (Though I'm not 100% clear on this )

I will have to wait for the planned elements, but I remember it being mentioned during the Figure Skating Preview/Review that Yu-na has been practicing her LP with a second 3-3. It was in reference that up to that day Yuna has been low key but on the day she had to pratice with Mao, she did her LP clean with TWO triple-triple combos. I don't think I was imaging this.

So maybe

3Z-3T
3F-3T
2A
2A-2T-2L
3Z
2A
3S

But I doubt she would just do two 2As solo....I don't know...just guessing. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:

enlight78

Medalist
I don't think a we need incentive for skaters to use all five triples; If there was a skater who could perform all five triple with +goe she would be kicking a##; the only reason why joannie is not kicking a## is because she doesn't have a triple/triple. I like the way COP give you ways to make up for your flaws or the same skater will when everytime.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think a we need incentive for skaters to use all five triples; If there was a skater who could perform all five triple with +goe she would be kicking a##; the only reason why joannie is not kicking *** is because she doesn't have a triple/triple. I like the way COP give you ways to make up for your flaws or the same skater will when everytime.

I think some folks are also underestimating the 3-3, particularly Yuna's 3LZ-3T. Yes a triple axel is hard, but so is doing a 3-3. There's a reason that we only had a few of them during the SP. And heck, given how well she does the 2A (it's obviously her money jump since she does it 3X in her LP), who says she can't try for the 3A next season? (That is, if she stays in compeition).

And I think people forget that the 3L is what caused all those crazy back problems Yuna had in '07 and '08. I wouldn't blame her for not doing it. I mean we all know what happened to Tara Lipinski after she did all those 3L-3L combos in 1998.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
It looks like the whole system's been carefully crafted to make sure Yuna wins no matter what. It simply doesn't matter whether or not Mao makes history by making the first woman to suceed three triple axels in a competition.

Wow. Just wow. I don't know if you've done this intentionally or not, but you've just devalued one skater's passion, determination and a lifetime of efforts with that one comment. So you think a system is conspiring against Mao in order to prop Yu-na? Are you for real? Did Mao not also break the 200-mark, set a few WRs and get a 73+ mark under this same system? Mao not rewarded enough for the 3A? The difference between a 3Lz and a 3A is 2.2 points, more than four times the difference between any two jumps of descending difficulty (e.g. 3Lz and 3F).

What a double-standard. Yu-na's not so good because she doesn't have the full set of triples (the 3L), but that's suddenly OK and Mao's off the hook for not having a 3Lz and 3S because she has the 3A? And please stop crowning the 3A as the Second Coming of Jesus. I know it's extraordinarily difficult, but the 3A is not all there is to figure skating. Mao has numerous other qualities that keep her head and shoulder above the average skater, but the 3A is only one of them. With your myopic focus on the 3A, you have not only demeaned numerous outstanding skaters (in particular, Yu-na Kim), but also reduced Mao's beauty on ice to just the 3A. Shame on you if you're a fan of Mao's skating, as she is so much more than the 3A.

Last edited:

hurrah

Medalist
IAnd heck, given how well she does the 2A (it's obviously her money jump since she does it 3X in her LP), who says she can't try for the 3A next season? (That is, if she stays in compeition).

I believe her double-axel will remain her money jump whilst she remains in competition, and I would be willing to bet a great, great deal that she'll never do a triple-axel.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I believe her double-axel will remain her money jump whilst she remains in competition, and I would be willing to bet a great, great deal that she'll never do a triple-axel.

I'm not a betting woman, but I would never say never either. Her coach was one of the first people to do a triple axel in competition. If she needed it to be competitive you can bet your sweet bippy that they would go for it. That's why Orser is a good coach, he knows how to make the most of her strengths and weaknesses and can gauge how to win a competition with (or without) those elements.

Last edited: