Why women aren't allowed to ski jump in the Olympics | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why women aren't allowed to ski jump in the Olympics

viv

On the Ice
I also think that they waited too long; in fact I pointed that out before. But there are a lot of sports without world wide popularity or participation which are Olympic, there is not even a definition what worldwide means - how many nations have to take part in international events, how many and which continents have to be included and so on. As much as I am a fan, I wouldn't even call mens ski jumping a world wide event, there are only about twelve nations where it has a higher degree of popularity; outside Europe it's only Japan. But as where it has popularity it is very, very popular, it is Olmpic. As is Curling, or, as an example of the Summer Olympics, Archery.

Last edited:

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Whoa, a big problem with a lot of posters' sentiments here: a sport without robust participation from both genders is not a sport with "worldwide participation". Female ski jumping isn't a separate sport, it's part of ski jumping. That, for whatever reasons, it's not more open to half the population of the Earth is a failure of the sport. Therefore, until ski jumping truly gains full participation of people around the world, it should be stricken from the Olympic games.

The same goes for any other sport that outright excludes a gender, including synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics. The Olympics should strive to be equal and fair, more so than other sporting events. That's what makes the Olympics special and worthy of the glory people bestow on it and its medals. It's time the games live up to it.

viv

On the Ice
Well that was five years ago...

No. He repeated it recently and is quoted in todays German newspaper FAZ with the words: "Ski Jumping should not be allowed to women because the landings could damage their wombs." No need to say that he is not a physician.

:sheesh:

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
Whoa, a big problem with a lot of posters' sentiments here: a sport without robust participation from both genders is not a sport with "worldwide participation"...

This was not what I said or at least what I wanted to say. (Did my English let me down?) What I tried to express was that the demand of "world-wide participation" is hypocritical here because there are a lot of sports without worldwide participation which are Olympic anyway.

viv

On the Ice
How come there is 2 man luge, but not 2 woman luge?

I think 2woman luge exists, but it is not Olympic - as, for example, in athletics 3000m are not Olympic. It is a different question than women ski jumpers - the luge ladies can compete as single.