Pairs Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

roma

On the Ice
I'm ecstatic on Shen and Zhao's win! Yes! They finally have GOLD. Happy for Pang and Tong too. That was quite a skate! :biggrin: Congrats to Aliona and Robin for getting bronze.

jcoates

Medalist
Congrats to all medalists! So happy that Pang and Tong finally had their moment. I hope Aliona and Robin don't retire. I know he is no spring chicken, but I still feel their best is yet to come. Xue and Hongbo are marvelous competitors and people. So pleased for them and Yao Bin. I can finally breathe a little, at least until tomorrow.

As for all the wuzrobbed talk about P/T, they would still have lost even with the timing violation, which they have incurred several times before. As good as P/T were in the SP, S/Z were much cleaner and more precise with all their elements executed bigger and higher and faster. Their margin after the SP was completely justifiable.

P/T's FS score was the highest they've ever gotten by a mile (and well deserved) a truly Olympian effort. Shen and Zhao are not the first and will not be the last to win an Olympics without winning the FS.

This is a wonderful moment for Chinese skating, let's not ruin it.

Hikaru

Final Flight
agree agree agree i don't care what happens for the rest of the figure skating in this olympics. Yes yes yes
rock::rock::rock::bow::bow:

ITA I exchanged all the other medals for this one, now I can watch the rest of the competition at ease!!!!

magicalwords

On the Ice
Phew, now I can rewatch Pairs LP relaxed knowing how each pair performed.. totally ready to enjoy these amazing performances once again!! I just couldn't keep my eyes open when S/Z was doing throw sal..

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'm so happy for S/Z, P/T, S/S, and most of all, Bin Yao (who just cracked a small smile :D).

Congratulations to all!

ARipp42014

Medalist
Still teary eyed from watching the medal ceremony! So much love and pride. I do feel bad for Ali and Robin but tonite shouldn't take away everything they have done in the past couple of years. They (along with Ingo) should be proud of themselves.

Interesting fact: Torino's 3rd, 4th, and 6th place finishers went into Vancouver as one of the highest ranked skaters from the last games. In the end, they went 1, 2, and 3! :)

Oh and sorry to gloat but... RUSSIAN SHUTOUT!!!!

Now let's hope the happy mojo continues tomorrow. Dreams really do come true! :biggrin:

Last edited:

mhu714

On the Ice
Double congrats to the Chinese!! And of course to Bin; having the gold and silver medalists must be a total dream. Wonder what his next wave of skaters will be like? Anyone have any info on that?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Well, I'm assuming she is crying because she knew a clean skate would have given them gold tonight.

Yes, being a gold medal favourite is an extremely difficult situation to be in. I do hope Aliona and Robin stay on, though. If S/Z can win a medal in their 30s, I'm sure Aliona and Robin can.....

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I am so happy for P/T and S/Z. I am sooo upset that I didn't get to see them though. My feed works fine during speed skating, luge, etc., but will never fail to die on me when it's figure skating. Oh well, at least I got to see the victory ceremony. Finally, P/T have gotten an olympic medal. They deserved bronze four years ago.

Moxie

On the Ice
Phew, now I can rewatch Pairs LP relaxed knowing how each pair performed.. totally ready to enjoy these amazing performances once again!! I just couldn't keep my eyes open when S/Z was doing throw sal..

Oh my... glad I'm not the only one that does that. :laugh:

jennylovskt

Medalist
Congratulations to S/Z!!!!!!!! I am soooooooooo happy for them!!!!! And congratulations to all the medalists!

Finally, the fairytale ending!!!!!!!:love: I don't care their little mistakes in LP. I don't care whether there is any controversy or not on the judging. The most important thing is they won!!!!!!:rock::rock::rock: My dream podium, and my dream gold medalists!:biggrin: One discipline's done, three more to go. Love it!

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Pang and Tong weren't robbed. They were in 4th going into the free skate. Yes, the skated a clean program but the quality of their overall skating, positions, and flow, wasn't comparable to Shen and Zhao. They don't finish their movements and jumps the way Shen and Zhao do either. But I agree that P and T skated beautifully compared to the rest of the field. If shen and Zhao hadn't competed they would have won gold. Shen and Zhao are the greatest pairs skaters in the history of the sport in my opinion.

Actually, the title of greatest pair skaters in the history of the sport belongs to the Russian pair Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov. S&Z have not been skating all that long to be in that category. The Protopopos are legends and have skated for years and inspired many pair skaters and single skaters along the way.

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2008/01/clip-of-the-w-1.html

http://figureskating.about.com/od/olympicchampions/p/protopopovs.htm

aurora100

Final Flight
P/T looks very happy. They don't look like they were robbed. This is figure skating and they are ranked by both SP and LP! S/Z gave themselves a cushion after SP. Just by the way they went out and nailed down the SP no one could catch. That means a lot of Olympic figure skating. And S/Z did their job in the long too. If they made mistakes like others did, except for P/T they wouldn't have won. They were so close to the other top two from the SP. Olympic Gold is won by both SP and LP, as all the other medalists in Men, Dance and Women will find out.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to say so far I'm impressed with how little the NBC commentators are talking through teh performance... then again I've only gotten to see Caydee and Jeremy :laugh: