Pairs Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

hongligl

Final Flight
Congratulations to S/Z!!!! Congratulatios to P/T!!! I just couldn't be too happy for them! What a competition! This is enough to let me forget about what I wanted to complain:)

ARipp42014

Medalist
Actually, the title of greatest pair skaters in the history of the sport belongs to the Russian pair Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov. S&Z have not been skating all that long to be in that category. The Protopopos are legends and have skated for years and inspired many pair skaters and single skaters along the way.

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2008/01/clip-of-the-w-1.html

http://figureskating.about.com/od/olympicchampions/p/protopopovs.htm

I do agree that the Protopopovs are truly legends of the sport, as well as G/G. But I do rank S/Z in the top 5 (maybe 3) all time for their longevity and being able to combine the athletism and the artistry (especially in the later years).

And thank you Scott & Sandra for shutting up tonite! The less chatter the better!

DesertRoad

Final Flight
I have to say so far I'm impressed with how little the NBC commentators are talking through teh performance... then again I've only gotten to see Caydee and Jeremy :laugh:

You'll continue to be impressed, then. I know I was. The US commentator team kept quiet for long stretches during each performance, even when something significant happened on screen. Perhaps some heroic intern snuck some lorazepam in their drinks?

I do agree that the Protopopovs are truly legends of the sport, as well as G/G. But I do rank S/Z in the top 5 (maybe 3) all time for their longevity and being able to combine the athletism and the artistry (especially in the later years).

Not only that, but Shen/Zhao (along with Bin Yao, of course) are responsible for ushering in the modern era of pairs skating with the big twist lifts and the gigantic throw jumps. If you look at videos of the pairs competition from 2002, all the throw elements were far more conservative, except for Shen/Zhao's. They really reshaped the look of the sport. I would count them as one of the most influential pairs teams ever.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
You'll continue to be impressed, then. I know I was. The US commentator team kept quiet for long stretches during each performance, even when something significant happened on screen. Perhaps some heroic intern snuck some lorazepam in their drinks?

:laugh:

I think they discovered a little skating board is planning to drinking game and decided to trick everyone by not speaking as much.

I do hope they keep it up during the Men's comp.

gourry

Final Flight
:love:It was such a thrilling competition!!!!
I have to confess that pair skating is my least favorite field and I don't follow it as thoroughly but it was so beautiful tonight and I'm deeply touched!
To me P/T was the best tonight!! Their program was just beauuuuutiful.
Even with the mistakes I totally enjoyed S/S's program. Actually S/Z's program itself was my least favorite among the podium finishers but there was something special about their performance. It was just very touching. Besides, their SP was picture perfect so they well deserve their win.:agree:
I'm so so happy for the medalists!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

emma

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the skaters - especially the medalists!!!!

I'm beyond thrilled that Shen and Zhao got the gold, but my heart aches a little that they didn't have one of those amazing skates (that they have had many, many times) that got the crowd on its feet; I sort of hoped they would have the entire "olympic dream moment." That said, I'm so, so thrilled for them, for Pang and Tong (a joy to watch in both sp and lp) and of course, Bin Yao. wow.

Like others have said, NOW i can just sit back and enjoy the games (and breathe!).

On a side note/question - what became of Bin Yao's skating partner???

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No Russians on the podium. The world is upside down. But my god, was it gratifying to see Shen and Zhao at the top step. And Robin Szolkowy seems to have a very good sense of humour - I appreciated him smiling on the podium. He knew they could skate better, but there's still pride in medalling at the Olympics. I don't know if they're gonna stay on - I don't see the next generation being quite as strong as in other disciplines, so I sorta hope they do, and grow.

Disappointing skates for the Canadian pairs. It was always a long shot (the podium), but the way Dube and Davison skated at Nationals got my hopes up. Given what they've been through (injuries, personal issues), I wonder how much longer we're gonna see them skate together for. They're so young, though - Sochi shouldn't be out of the picture. And Langlois and Hay - the music was too big for them.

I hope we see growth from M/T. They're quite young too, right? They came to seniors the same time D/D did.

Can I just say how glad I am that Evora and Ladwig did as well as they did. I hope John Baldwin was watching.

Overall, a disappointing night of skating capped off wonderfully. Pang and Tong skating far better than they ever have with a vivacious program, and to climax things, Shen/Zhao skating to gold. Can't say fairer than that.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
CONGRATULATIONS S/Z GOLD MEDAL WINNERS. I am so darn happy for them. P/T blew me away tonight with their perfect program and S/S skated beautifully too. Very happy with the podium.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Double congrats to the Chinese!! And of course to Bin; having the gold and silver medalists must be a total dream. Wonder what his next wave of skaters will be like?
Well, if S/Z have kids, he may be in line to coach the next generation of a skating dynasty! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
David Peletier announced that he (Morosov) was retiring so that she (Volosozhar) could find another partner to medal (presumably because she can't with him, which I think is a fair assessment. He's extremely strong, though).

How about Bryce Davison? His partnership with Jessica Dube has been a bust since they split as a couple.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Volosozhar is a good and strong skater, with the right male, I can forsee some gold medals down the road for them....

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Im beyond happines for both chinese teams.. I was dying of anxiety waiting for PantTong resultss.. they soo deserved it.. Bummed for the Germands and both Russiam teams it wasnt their nights.. I hope SS stay at least one more season and Maria&Max can be the dominant pair team in teh next quadrennial for sure.

Top 10 in TES :

PangTong 70.53
ShenZhao 67.51
ZhangZhang 65.42
SavchenkoSzolkowy 65.08
VolosozharMorozov 64.64
EvoraLadwig 62.06
MukhortovaTrankov 61.27
DubeDavison 60.99
LangloisHay 60.45
KavagutiSmirnov 57.13

ShenZhao should have been a bit lower and damnn the technical panel seriously killed KavagutiSmirnov .. two elements were only Level 1.:think: , EvoraLadwig were a little bit gifted here too.

Top 10 in PCS :

ShenZhao 72.40
PangTong 71.28
SavchenkoSzolkowy 70.56
KavagutiSmirnov 64.48
MukhortovaTrankov 62.08
DubeDavison 61.76
ZhangZhang 58.64
LangloisHay 56.32
VolosozharMorozov 56.00
EvoraLadwig 52.00

Nothing much to complain here I guess.. maybe MukhortovaTrankov higher than KS.. Oh Tatiana Volosozhar's graceness should be rewared more despite her partner..

Top 10 in GOE :

PangTong 13.58
ShenZhao 10.46
SavchenkoSzolkowy 7.84
ZhangZhang 6.92
EvoraLadwig 6.38
VolosozharMorozov 5.64
MukhortovaTrankov 4.92
KavagutiSmirnov 4.20
LangloisHay 3.20
DubeDavison 2.74

Wow crazy GOE scores for PangTong, but well deserved:p! Both canadian teams being at the bottom shows how much they underperformed here but were held up in PCs..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so I'm watching with my best friend who knows zilch about the sport, and she just asked if the move E/L were doing was "that ice spin of death thing" *facepalm*

yes, Erin, that's a death spiral... :laugh:

gold12345

Medalist
The score inflation tonight was absolutely insane for nearly everyone. Overscores everywhere, and it's still somewhat unbelievable that those performances were enough to get Dube and Davison 6th!!! Then again, there weren't many great free skates tonight.

I am so thrilled for Shen and Zhao and Pang and Tong. It looked like P/T were on their way to yet another non-Podium finish, but they rose to the occasion tonight when others crumbled and delivered a heartfelt performance.
I think K/S are overrated, so it was nice to see them off the podium.

I feel a little bad for S/S because they didn't skate that well, but I found their overall performance pleasing, and a medal is still amazing.

I am surprised M/T went for sbs 3S instead of 2A... Was this their first time doing this this season? I guess they felt they had nothing to lose, so why not try it.

As for our American teams... Well, they weren't perfect, but they did close to their best and should be happy with their Olympic experience. They didn't place so well or score competitively with the single-digit placing teams, so I don't think this will change John Baldwin's opinion of what went down at Nationals, but who cares. Realistically, the US pairs situation for this Olympics was kind of hopeless scorewise when our most competitive pair didn't make the team.