Pairs Free Skate | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

Fae

Rinkside
Pang/Tong's FS
hosted on a chinese website. Oh! the wonders of babelfish :D

the quality isn't brilliant but until IOC stops blocking vids on youtube...*shakes fist*

now all i need to do is find the rest of them!

ARipp42014

Medalist
Jamie & David had only good things to say about M/T ..(BTW.. I was thrilled to see their costume change )

Jamie said they had a great choice of music ( not at all in a snarky tone of voice) . ..of course they commented on their mistakes , but David said he really liked the team ( Jamie in agreement ), Both praised their big tricks ( that's my paraphrase). And David said they're much better than they showed at this competition...

*** BTW, David pointed out re: all the problems couples were having tonight that it might not be the best idea to have the two programs skated on consecutive days. he said they usually have a day in between . ..Skaters legs feel like lead the next day and you need that day off to bounce back into top form...:think:..Hope this doesn't bode ill for the men. Seems like they could just as easily have staggered the competition.

Good thing to clear it up because after their performance, NBC showed a closeup on Jamie and David in a not so positive light. It's like NBC wanna start this whole "which Love Story was better" drama and that they didn't approve of it. Plus, I just :love: their costumes. Red looks good on Masha.

Well... I'm Russian and of course I dreamt of a medal, but I did understand none of them deserved one, after the short program, honestly, I would put

short
CHN SHEN Xue, ZHAO Hongbo (fantastic)
RUS KAVAGUTI Yuko, SMIRNOV Aleksandr (breathtaking)
CHN PANG Qing, TONG Jian (clean)

free:
RUS KAVAGUTI Yuko, SMIRNOV Aleksandr - a disaster
GER SAVCHENKO Aliona, SZOLKOWY Robin - were overscored both in the short and in the free, they did not deserve a medal
CHN PANG Qing, TONG Jian - were perfect in both programs
CHN - CHN SHEN Xue, ZHAO Hongbo not perfect, but very impreesive.

There are certainly some agreements we are not aware of. All chineses couples should have been on the podium, it's not fair!

Welcome to the boards! Post often! :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
David pointed out re: all the problems couples were having tonight that it might not be the best idea to have the two programs skated on consecutive days. he said they usually have a day in between . ..Skaters legs feel like lead the next day and you need that day off to bounce back into top form...:think:..Hope this doesn't bode ill for the men. Seems like they could just as easily have staggered the competition.
Maybe David Pelletier is commenting based on his own experience, but these days the skaters should be used to skating on consecutive days: they do it at senior Bs, GPs, at Euros/4CC and at Worlds. The two day break the men will have is actually unusual and I hope it won't stress them out. Or at least, that it won't make my favorites nervous ;).

I woke up in time for the medal ceremony so I can't comment on the skating. Although I wanted S/S to win, it's very moving to think of Zhao Hongbo winning the OGM 30 years after he started skating, and of both Shen and Zhao being rewarded for all their sacrifices and hard work. Also, what an amazing job by Bin Yao, from finishing dead last at the 1984 Olympics with his partner to coaching the top two teams.

I hope Aliona and Robin will consider staying for another cycle, and that whoever Tatiana Volosozhar is paired with next will be good enough for her to get the medals she deserves. I look forward to seeing the baby Swiss grow as competitors, and to seeing if their great result will be a boost for Evora and Ladwig's career.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Chiocciola.. In my heart , I agree with you about Z/Z.They did have those slip-ups in their programs, but not the disasters of the other two teams. I can't really argue the very fine points..but I compared elements , I saw the programs.. it still doesn't sit totally comfortably with me. I hope they'll do well at worlds.

I detested Yuko ripping her costume open to expose her heart.:disapp:pure cheese.

enchantment19

Rinkside
I detested Yuko ripping her costume open to expose her heart.:disapp:pure cheese.

ITA!!!! That bothered me as well!

I'm so happy for Shen & Zhao for their gold medal. I also think that Pang/Tong was very deserving of the gold as well, as they skated the program of their life tonight and had a solid short last night.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)Further to the costume rip...like the face paint , save it for a show, not competition... please?

I know it's a very Moskvina -ish thing , and others have picked it up occasionally over the years, but the only time it didn't bother me was when it was Arturs Demetriev, at the very end of his program. He was such a force of nature you fellt he was pouring his soul out on the ice anyway. Only he could carry it off.;)

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Pairs just ended on the west coast (I tried not to read any spoilers).

AND I AM FREAKING OUT! TWO OF MY APARTMENTMATES WERE LIKE, "I THINK IT'S TIME WE GET AWAY FROM HER."

AND ANOTHER ONE CAME OUT OF HER ROOM AND WAS LIKE,"Your favorite team won, didn't they?"

SHEN AND ZHAO, FOR THE WIN! :biggrin:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Pairs just ended on the west coast (I tried not to read any spoilers).

AND I AM FREAKING OUT! TWO OF MY APARTMENTMATES WERE LIKE, "I THINK IT'S TIME WE GET AWAY FROM HER."

AND ANOTHER ONE CAME OUT OF HER ROOM AND WAS LIKE,"Your favorite team won, didn't they?"

SHEN AND ZHAO, FOR THE WIN! :biggrin:

Hahaha!! Well, at least you didn't have to be at work like I was. I had to watch in snippets...I freaked out a little too and my colleagues were all who? what? who won? what happened? I told them the whole shen/zhao story ... they were mostly impressed that they are in their 30s (same age as most people in the office :) I have to listen to my colleagues shout and scream everytime there's some important soccer match on so I feel justified ...:biggrin:

And congrats on avoiding the spoilers :agree:

chiocciola

On the Ice
I detested Yuko ripping her costume open to expose her heart.:disapp:pure cheese.[/QUOTE]

I did not notice, and not extaclty understand what's that...the things I hate, honestly, I used to love this couple but now I find it disgusting - gestures and emotions on Savchenko's face... I dunno maybe it's just me... I don't like exageration.

In expressing emotions I like Dube/Davison and Mukhortova/Trankov - simple but very touching!

TCAngel18

Medalist
I wasnt home, but DVR'd the competition....it was great!!!...i am sooooo happy for the results!!! S/Z finally get their gold!!!! P/T break through again, they did win world gold in 2006, but werent really seen in the tip top echelon of pair teams, so im soooo glad they skated lights out when it counted! and although S/S are not my favorites, they do so many things so well that i really wanted them for bronze, so im glad the podium came out this way.....quick references, does anyone agree??

Underscored: Evora/Ladwig, Volosozhar/Morozov(only cuz shes probably the best female skater in the comp)

Overscored:Zhangs, Zhangs and more Zhangs..they do have the technical, yes, i agree with their tech scores, but no way do they deserve any score over a 6.5 in PCS....perhaps in skating skills, but not in interpretation or musicality....

ok, thats my rant...im really a lurker, lol....i always come on here every day, but rarely comment, and am quite more knowledgeable about FS than my amount of posts indicate, lol...and i do appreciate most peoples insight into skating, especially dorispulaski, tonichelle, mathman, ant, tigger,and bennett!!!!....so react away, people!!!! i wanna hear responses, even if they are "ur an idiot Tyler, shut up"...=D

and btw tenorguy, i didnt mean to steal your profile, lol....you are just my twin, really....

=D

Last edited:

Alatariel

On the Ice
Fell asleep between group 3 and 4, wonderful :eek:hwell:

On another hand, I am so pleased with the results in re to my fav pairs! I am yet to see the skating and see what happened to the Russians.

If I fall asleep for men's tonight I'll be mighty angry though.

BTW I picked up pairs short from a torrent, so I expect they'll put up last night's soon too!

Last edited:

formersk8ter

On the Ice
Of course, I'm happy that Shen/Zhao finally got their gold. But I'm a little disappointed by the judging.

I think Pang/Tong's free program should have overcome a 5 point difference from the SP. Again, I'm happy for S/Z, but it just doesn't feel right. I think they were held up and overscored.

Kavaguti/Smirnov were such a mess they should have ended up somewhere around 6th or 7th, not 4th. I actually have a soft spot for Zhang/Zhang, always have. I'll bet Hao is beating himself up for that missed 3toeloop. I've never seen him miss, ever. Without that mistake, it might have been a Chinese sweep.

Savchenko/Szolkowy: they've never been one of my favorites, but I do think they deserved the bronze here.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am thrilled with the podium! Pang and Tong were under marked in the SP, and were brilliant in the free skate. Even though Shen & Zhao weren't perfect in the free skate, they were still lovely to watch (and I'm so glad their dream to win gold was realized). I am very glad that Aliona & Robin were on the podium too. :biggrin: :love:

I am so proud of Amanda & Mark & Caydee & Jeremy! :)

yangjie

On the Ice
Congratulations for PANG/TONG
and i really hope that they have a great life afterwords in their skating career and their PRIVATE LIFE.

screech

Final Flight
One thing I really loved about P/T's free skate was that right from the start they were putting everything into their performance, skating the whole thing like it was the last 10 seconds after a clean skate (you know how skaters do...) and to me that just made the whole program even more 'wow' and added to the whole effect. So happy for them.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Just finished watching the Eurosport coverage, it was dissapointing to say the least. At lot of switching back to the speeding (problems with the ice, the ISU chief was not impressed) so I ended missing a lot of the couples - No M/T, D/D/ V/M. E/L, D/B, B/L. But from what I did see it was not the best quality competition, it seems to be the trend in pairs now to have excellent short programmes followed by less than excellent long programmes. Can not believe how high the scores were, never seen so many couples over 100 but so few of them deserving it.

I think P/T were robbed, undermarked in the short by 2/3 points and should have been further ahead of S/Z in the long. Their long was spectacular, passion, emotion, powerfull music that build to a big finish, the crowd reaction at teh end. I am glad they got a medal, seeing as they were robbed in Torino. They are my favourite of Chinese pairs. S/Z had probably their poorest performance of the year (but still much better than most), it was their overstated lead from the short that pulled them home.

S/S after being the dominat pair this last four years come up short in the biggest competition of their careers. I am disappointed for them, but Out of Africa is not their best programme, maybe having to go back and come back with a new programme mid season done them no favours. Very dissapointed for K/S. They looked very nervous before they were announced, even Moskvina seemed edgy but they were not on form and the judges really hammered them on TES. Dissapointed for M/T, was hoping they would come back strong, I wonder if they will stick around till Sochi?

I also seen the first group of skaters, and there was some nice skating admittely not the technichal level of the top teams but enjoyable none the less. I liked the Polish couple