Pairs Free Skate | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

BlackAxel

Final Flight
so I'm watching with my best friend who knows zilch about the sport, and she just asked if the move E/L were doing was "that ice spin of death thing" *facepalm*

yes, Erin, that's a death spiral... :laugh:

Haha, that is so what my family would say! Lol, I am known as the "geek" in my family for watching figure skating, but hey I really dont care! :D

SweetPea21307

Rinkside
I'm so happy for Shen/Zhao, they deserved it more than anyone!! Does anyone know where I could watch the medal ceremony since NBC doesn't think its worth showing on television?

mishieru07

On the Ice
My Dream Podium! :love:

I absolutely adored Pang/ Tong. Love love love the music (why don't skaters use Joe Hisashi's music more often?) and their skate was breathtaking, graceful and worthy of an Olympic medal. After so many disappointing splatfests, I was thrilled to see them nail it. The skate of the night for me.

I liked S/S as well; pity about the mistakes but I thought they delivered emotionally. Aliona was soo disappointed during the medal ceremony, I felt kinda bad for them.

S/Z were fantastic apart from that lift and some spin issues. They were rightfully 2nd in the FS but definitely did enough to be OGMs imo. Finally, finally, they did it.

I thought the judges were generous with D/D (and so did the ESPN commentators). I would've put them below M/T.

Well, the scoring for the medallists was fair imo. It gives me hope that the other disciplines will be fairly scored too. I hope the judges don't let me down.

Congratulations to the medallists!

CassAgain

On the Ice
Holding out hope that NBC is going to show the medal ceremony during the late night show...

saltypig

Rinkside
Couldn't have asked for a better podium. Wish all the skaters skated perfectly including S/Z then there would not be any controversy at all...not a perfect program but in the end all S/Z fans got their wish come true. Congratulations to all the skaters - be proud of yourselves because you all gave it your best. Thank you very much to you all.

Shen and Zhao have been crowned king and queen of the universe, Pang & Tong had a dream skate, and Yao Bin has received his just rewards while he is still on this earth. I am full of joy.

It was a great night, full of drama if not perfect skating except P & T where I never thought to look for it. K & S -- how painful. I don't like to think of how Mama Moskvina will treat them now.

To me, all season S & Z were handicapped by inferior programs and music choices. They didn't have a "Dream the Impossible Dream" to get the crowd on their feet. Their programs weren't perfectly built and romantic the way their "Meditation" of 2007 was (one of my all time favorites -- now disappeared from Youtube btw). Yet they triumphed from end to end of the season with the quality of their skating. Uncle Dick thinks their mistakes in the FS tonight will rankle all their lives. I think that in light of their decades of work, pain, and richly earned victories, tonight's bobbles will fade away next to the joy of achieving their goal, like the pain of childbirth next to the amazing new life that's been brought into the world.

We can hope that, all pressure gone, Xue and Hongbo will celebrate their OGM by performing their free skate at Worlds the way they meant to do it at the Olympics. But for now, celebrations, congratulations, and thanks to this wonderful pair and to all who helped them achieve their dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: And BRAVO to all the medalists!

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
I am SOOOOOO freakin proud of Pang and Tong!!! If the judges hadn't screwed them in the SP they would have won the GOLD! I predicted this podium, not the right order, but the right skaters. Too bad about the German's mistakes :( Also an astrologer I know was spot on for her predictions in Pairs, I am amazed by her prowess. Even predicted S/Z having an odd mistake in the FS and the other two Chinese teams skating cleanly. She predicted both Russian teams faltering and the Canadians as well, and she said the Germans would have too many mistakes to win gold or silver. Spot on! I hope her predictions are right for the Men too :) I'm not at liberty to say, but the top 5 might surprise some people if she's right ;)

aurora100

Final Flight
I have to say that having watched figure skating for SO many years, I never thought I'd see the day when a Russian pairs team was not on the Olympics podium.

I still can't believe it. A true end of an era, 46 years! of GOLD broken, with no medal on the podium. And a beginning of new era. But looking at little Bazarova/Lariyonov they remind me so much of young Katia and Sergei. Russians will come back with vengence in Sochi 2014.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
from Jeremy's facebook:
I am officially an Olympian for the rest of my life!!
I think that sums up the night perfectly for both US teams. They were fantastic!

and I have a new found appreciation and respect for Yao Bin. touching fluff piece on an amazing coach.

trevorgao said:
Where can I watch PT's free skate???? Thank you so much guys...

NBC's website should have the whole competition, at least they had the short programs up the day after the event.

aurora100

Final Flight
Shen and Zhao have been crowned king and queen of the universe, Pang & Tong had a dream skate, and Yao Bin has received his just rewards while he is still on this earth. I am full of joy.

It was a great night, full of drama if not perfect skating except P & T where I never thought to look for it. K & S -- how painful. I don't like to think of how Mama Moskvina will treat them now.

To me, all season S & Z were handicapped by inferior programs and music choices. They didn't have a "Dream the Impossible Dream" to get the crowd on their feet. Their programs weren't perfectly built and romantic the way their "Meditation" of 2007 was (one of my all time favorites -- now disappeared from Youtube btw). Yet they triumphed from end to end of the season with the quality of their skating. Uncle Dick thinks their mistakes in the FS tonight will rankle all their lives. I think that in light of their decades of work, pain, and richly earned victories, tonight's bobbles will fade away next to the joy of achieving their goal, like the pain of childbirth next to the amazing new life that's been brought into the world.

We can hope that, all pressure gone, Xue and Hongbo will celebrate their OGM by performing their free skate at Worlds the way they meant to do it at the Olympics. But for now, celebrations, congratulations, and thanks to this wonderful pair and to all who helped them achieve their dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: And BRAVO to all the medalists!

Wow, beautifully said.

Tigger

Final Flight
So very, very happy for Xue and Hongbo!!! I got so choked up hearing them FINALLY introduced as Olympic Champions. :biggrin:

WOW OH WOW did Pang and Tong lay one down tonight or what!?! I had goosebumps on my goosebumps after their skate. Very worthy Silver Medalists.

Felt so bad for Ali and Robin, but they didn't let the performance slide and that final throw was a beauty. Also major kudos to Ali on the podium. Yes, she was crying and understandably upset, but she was still trying to smile and put a brave face on things. Now that's how you act on the Podium after not having the finish you dreamed of. W/time, that Bronze Medal will look wonderful to her, but tonight, it's just nice and I understand. They'll bounce back though.

Disappointed for my Canadian Teams, but it was that kind of a night.

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks Yuko and Sasha are over rated. Never thought I'd see the day when there wasn't a Russian Pair on the Olympic Podium, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thrilled by that.

What a wonderful Chinese New Year's present their two Pairs gave to the Chinese People tonight!! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So M/T skated to Love Story for Jamie and David???? Canucks - what did S/P have to say about the program?

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
Here's what i'll remember:

The good things

-S/Z finally getting that gold medal:bow:
-P/T's performance of their life
-Stanislas Morozov's amazing lifts

The bad things

-S/S only getting bronze, although i had a feeling it was going to happen
-S/Z's LP not being as good as what we're used too, though very good all the same
-The amount of mistakes made

aurora100

Final Flight
So M/T skated to Love Story for Jamie and David???? Canucks - what did S/P have to say about the program?

Jamie said the music brings back memories and David said it's a fantastic choice of music. They said they liked the team and was sad/disappointed (didn't say that exactly) that they didn't perform so well.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Jamie & David had only good things to say about M/T ..(BTW.. I was thrilled to see their costume change )

Jamie said they had a great choice of music ( not at all in a snarky tone of voice) . ..of course they commented on their mistakes , but David said he really liked the team ( Jamie in agreement ), Both praised their big tricks ( that's my paraphrase). And David said they're much better than they showed at this competition...

*** BTW, David pointed out re: all the problems couples were having tonight that it might not be the best idea to have the two programs skated on consecutive days. he said they usually have a day in between . ..Skaters legs feel like lead the next day and you need that day off to bounce back into top form...:think:..Hope this doesn't bode ill for the men. Seems like they could just as easily have staggered the competition.

Last edited:

chiocciola

On the Ice
Well... I'm Russian and of course I dreamt of a medal, but I did understand none of them deserved one, after the short program, honestly, I would put

short
CHN SHEN Xue, ZHAO Hongbo (fantastic)
RUS KAVAGUTI Yuko, SMIRNOV Aleksandr (breathtaking)
CHN PANG Qing, TONG Jian (clean)

free:
RUS KAVAGUTI Yuko, SMIRNOV Aleksandr - a disaster
GER SAVCHENKO Aliona, SZOLKOWY Robin - were overscored both in the short and in the free, they did not deserve a medal
CHN PANG Qing, TONG Jian - were perfect in both programs
CHN - CHN SHEN Xue, ZHAO Hongbo not perfect, but very impreesive.

There are certainly some agreements we are not aware of. All chineses couples should have been on the podium, it's not fair!