Pairs Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

Alatariel

On the Ice
my DVD player ate my recording of the event! ACK! I didn't get to watch the final flight! anyone wanna burn me a copy of theirs and send it to me? please? *begs*

Just download the thing from a torrent. I got an entire SP event that way. LPs are not up yet but they will be soon!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Xue realized they had won the gold medal, I thought Tara Lipiniski was back. :laugh: :laugh: That is the first time I saw Xue react the way she did. It was terrific. :clap: :clap: I am so happy for Shen & Zhao but wished their music had been better. :bow: I love them!!!

dannyascii

On the Ice
Fantastic night of skating last night!
I think everything for the most part was fair. P/T were phenomenal, which I was so happy about. They are undoubtedly one of the most talented pairs in the world and for so long haven't gotten the recognition they deserve. I was kinda sad that S/Z couldn't lay down a program reminiscent of the 2004 GPF LP or another one of their legendary programs, but it definitely was solid. The showed passion, well executed jumps, and while the lift may have broken the mood of the program, it really wasn't -that- big of a bobble.
D/D really impressed me. While they weren't "on" technically, you really felt something watching that program and they fought hard. The last combination spin gained speed throughout and you could tell they were giving 110%.
Definitely happy about the podium! :D

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I feel P/T deserved the Gold. Their SP was clean, and on per with the Russian around 73-74 range. I don't know what their -1 deduction is for? Do they go over time limit or something?? I think they could have win by a very tiny margin, if they SP was marked a little better.

S/Z skated enough to win the Gold point wise, but their LP was slower than usual and very cautious, same goes with the S/S, but at least they stay on their feet.

Overall we got one repeat of 2007 world podium! Could this be the same for men and ladies event??

dannyascii

On the Ice
Yes, P/T went over the time limit in the SP and got a -1 deduction. I think it could have gone either way with P/T and S/Z really, and I guess I could have accepted it either way, but just with their story, I was happy it was S/Z.
Watching K/S and V/M was kinda rough though. Both pairs just feel so mismatched. I mean, I was watching with some of my friends who know hardly anything about skating and even they commented about how with V/M it was so obvious that she was far superior to him. And with K/S, stylistically they just have never made much sense to me; his artistry seems slight more refined, she's kinda all over the place, and just the different way they portray their artistry makes their programs seem disjointed and very non-unified.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
surprise they one--no- congrats to all.
only thing say-blocking still there why-all year stated would win-overlook some mistakes possible-favor probably. but teams didn't skate well. so who knows.
now we as public wont be able to say biased against chinese in olympics why won gold-politics as usual.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I thought the results were right: S/Z several pts ahead after the short, P/T ahead in the LP. S/Z come out golden and P/T close but silver. I enjoyed P/T's inerpretation of the LP and feel that their artistry has come a long way. I don't agree with the poster who found it robotic. Props have to be given to whoever chose that music for them because the music was part of why it was so enjoyable, IMO.

Last edited:
surprise they one--no- congrats to all.
only thing say-blocking still there why-all year stated would win-overlook some mistakes possible-favor probably. but teams didn't skate well. so who knows.
now we as public wont be able to say biased against chinese in olympics why won gold-politics as usual.
You can find racist bias in the Chinese going 1, 2, and 5? :rolleye:

You know, sometimes it's really nice to celebrate. You might give it a try.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is not so much that Yuko Kavaguti is 28, but that she has so many physical problems. Her joints are hyperflexible, which means she suffers from frequent shoulder dislocations. In fact, her left shoulder became dislocated during the FS and she had to push it back into place. Her costume was designed to allow her to do this, which is why you saw her "ripping" her costume to "show her heart".

Hikaru

Final Flight
When Xue realized they had won the gold medal, I thought Tara Lipiniski was back. :laugh: :laugh: That is the first time I saw Xue react the way she did. It was terrific. :clap: :clap: I am so happy for Shen & Zhao but wished their music had been better. :bow: I love them!!!

I know, I thought the same thing, and I've never seen her so emotional, but of course this was their dream. Their heartfelt happiness on their victory really moved me. But then again they have that unique quality not often found in other skaters, when not only they execute the elements but they make you feel. They did it in 2003, 2004, 2007 and also 2010. I don't care about that little bobble on the lift, they held it together. If I had been in their place, at my last chance of olympic gold, I'm sure I would have also been nervous. But they held it together very well.

Sorry about that.... but I watched them perform, and I was not as impressed as you were Joe, apparently. But they did skate the best they ever did overall. Again, speaking from someone who "got" the essence of many performances, I must have missed it somehow....but maybe after a few more reruns... or not.
graceful - do not fret it. I am more of a man who critiques rather than judges. On that day of the competition, I did feel that P&T were the better of the two Teams - not by much, but enough for gold. :think:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:Oh, please.. The baring of the heart was to accommodate her shoulder problem ? let's not be ridiculous..why aren't her other costumes designed the same way ?

Look , this woman has lovely lines , and has many qualities to be admired. Certainly , no-one would fault her determination. Clearly this is something that happens to her all the time, and she absolutely has my admiration for popping the shoulder back into place and continuing.But the costume bit is obviously a choreographed and calculated attempt to move the audience. I'm just saying it's too obvious for me.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I was thrilled to see the Chinese teams going 1 & 2. Pang & Tong were exquisite. That program for me will be as memorable as any of the best Gordeeva & Grinkov programs. The choreography was beautiful & so were they.

hauteor

On the Ice
I'm so extremely glad for Shen and Zhao! I knew nothing about them before this season because they had already retired when I took interest in the sport. The first time I saw them was at Skate America 2009- they just had me at hello! The more I got to know them, following them at current events and also looking up their previous career high-points, the more I fell in love with their style and their story. I must be a hopeless romantic, but for half a season all I kept thinking was that I wish these two would get their faery-tale ending... I didn't go to sleep last night, as the FS started at 3 AM where I am and concluded just past 7 AM. I was exhausted all day, but the joy of seeing a modern-day love story on ice reach its golden conclusion was more than worth it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh that Dick Button!
He was going on about how much catchfoot K&S had (which is why he didn't really care for them). And thanks to him....I noticed that Yuko does do the catchfoot thing way too much.

But real excited for S/Z and P/T. I think S/Z wasn't perfect of course, but I feel their artistry really made up for those slight bobbles. I love the S/S Out of Africa program, but yeah, just couldn't get it together last night.

Also excited for a top 10 finish from E/L! How about the +2 GOE lift?!! And I B/D had a nice comeback. They talked on the figure skating review show this morning about how they want to do well enough in World's get a third team for 2011! That would be pretty awesome.