Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Free Skate

Custom Title
    Congratulations to S/Z!!!!!!!! I am soooooooooo happy for them!!!!! And congratulations to all the medalists!

Finally, the fairytale ending!!!!!!! I don't care their little mistakes in LP. I don't care whether there is any controversy or not on the judging. The most important thing is they won!!!!!! My dream podium, and my dream gold medalists! One discipline's done, three more to go. Love it!
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 02-16-2010 at 07:42 AM.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyla2 View Post
    Pang and Tong weren't robbed. They were in 4th going into the free skate. Yes, the skated a clean program but the quality of their overall skating, positions, and flow, wasn't comparable to Shen and Zhao. They don't finish their movements and jumps the way Shen and Zhao do either. But I agree that P and T skated beautifully compared to the rest of the field. If shen and Zhao hadn't competed they would have won gold. Shen and Zhao are the greatest pairs skaters in the history of the sport in my opinion.
    Actually, the title of greatest pair skaters in the history of the sport belongs to the Russian pair Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov. S&Z have not been skating all that long to be in that category. The Protopopos are legends and have skated for years and inspired many pair skaters and single skaters along the way.

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2008/...f-the-w-1.html

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ol...rotopopovs.htm

Custom Title
    P/T looks very happy. They don't look like they were robbed. This is figure skating and they are ranked by both SP and LP! S/Z gave themselves a cushion after SP. Just by the way they went out and nailed down the SP no one could catch. That means a lot of Olympic figure skating. And S/Z did their job in the long too. If they made mistakes like others did, except for P/T they wouldn't have won. They were so close to the other top two from the SP. Olympic Gold is won by both SP and LP, as all the other medalists in Men, Dance and Women will find out.

Rinkside
    Congratulations !!!!SZ GOLD!!

I have to say so far I'm impressed with how little the NBC commentators are talking through teh performance... then again I've only gotten to see Caydee and Jeremy

Custom Title
    Congratulations to S/Z!!!! Congratulatios to P/T!!! I just couldn't be too happy for them! What a competition! This is enough to let me forget about what I wanted to complain

Custom Title
    I am very happy for Xue and Hongbo. They are brave, wonderful people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Actually, the title of greatest pair skaters in the history of the sport belongs to the Russian pair Oleg and Ludmila Protopopov. S&Z have not been skating all that long to be in that category. The Protopopos are legends and have skated for years and inspired many pair skaters and single skaters along the way.

http://www.lifeskate.com/skate/2008/...f-the-w-1.html

http://figureskating.about.com/od/ol...rotopopovs.htm
    I do agree that the Protopopovs are truly legends of the sport, as well as G/G. But I do rank S/Z in the top 5 (maybe 3) all time for their longevity and being able to combine the athletism and the artistry (especially in the later years).

And thank you Scott & Sandra for shutting up tonite! The less chatter the better!

Go marry the quad if you love it so much DesertRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I have to say so far I'm impressed with how little the NBC commentators are talking through teh performance... then again I've only gotten to see Caydee and Jeremy
    You'll continue to be impressed, then. I know I was. The US commentator team kept quiet for long stretches during each performance, even when something significant happened on screen. Perhaps some heroic intern snuck some lorazepam in their drinks?

Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    I do agree that the Protopopovs are truly legends of the sport, as well as G/G. But I do rank S/Z in the top 5 (maybe 3) all time for their longevity and being able to combine the athletism and the artistry (especially in the later years).
    Not only that, but Shen/Zhao (along with Bin Yao, of course) are responsible for ushering in the modern era of pairs skating with the big twist lifts and the gigantic throw jumps. If you look at videos of the pairs competition from 2002, all the throw elements were far more conservative, except for Shen/Zhao's. They really reshaped the look of the sport. I would count them as one of the most influential pairs teams ever.
    Last edited by DesertRoad; 02-16-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRoad View Post
    You'll continue to be impressed, then. I know I was. The US commentator team kept quiet for long stretches during each performance, even when something significant happened on screen. Perhaps some heroic intern snuck some lorazepam in their drinks?

I think they discovered a little skating board is planning to drinking game and decided to trick everyone by not speaking as much.

I do hope they keep it up during the Men's comp.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    Did anyone else notice Yuko pop her shoulder back in after the fall on the throw 3lp? Makes me cringe every time I see it.
    I thought I saw her shoulder pop out and she pop it back in!

Custom Title
    It was such a thrilling competition!!!!
    I have to confess that pair skating is my least favorite field and I don't follow it as thoroughly but it was so beautiful tonight and I'm deeply touched!
    To me P/T was the best tonight!! Their program was just beauuuuutiful.
    Even with the mistakes I totally enjoyed S/S's program. Actually S/Z's program itself was my least favorite among the podium finishers but there was something special about their performance. It was just very touching. Besides, their SP was picture perfect so they well deserve their win.
    I'm so so happy for the medalists!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ARipp42014 View Post
    Oh and sorry to gloat but... RUSSIAN SHUTOUT!!!!
    I have to say that having watched figure skating for SO many years, I never thought I'd see the day when a Russian pairs team was not on the Olympics podium.

Custom Title
    Congrats to all the skaters - especially the medalists!!!!

I'm beyond thrilled that Shen and Zhao got the gold, but my heart aches a little that they didn't have one of those amazing skates (that they have had many, many times) that got the crowd on its feet; I sort of hoped they would have the entire "olympic dream moment." That said, I'm so, so thrilled for them, for Pang and Tong (a joy to watch in both sp and lp) and of course, Bin Yao. wow.

Like others have said, NOW i can just sit back and enjoy the games (and breathe!).

On a side note/question - what became of Bin Yao's skating partner???

Custom Title
    No Russians on the podium. The world is upside down. But my god, was it gratifying to see Shen and Zhao at the top step. And Robin Szolkowy seems to have a very good sense of humour - I appreciated him smiling on the podium. He knew they could skate better, but there's still pride in medalling at the Olympics. I don't know if they're gonna stay on - I don't see the next generation being quite as strong as in other disciplines, so I sorta hope they do, and grow.

Disappointing skates for the Canadian pairs. It was always a long shot (the podium), but the way Dube and Davison skated at Nationals got my hopes up. Given what they've been through (injuries, personal issues), I wonder how much longer we're gonna see them skate together for. They're so young, though - Sochi shouldn't be out of the picture. And Langlois and Hay - the music was too big for them.

I hope we see growth from M/T. They're quite young too, right? They came to seniors the same time D/D did.

Can I just say how glad I am that Evora and Ladwig did as well as they did. I hope John Baldwin was watching.

Overall, a disappointing night of skating capped off wonderfully. Pang and Tong skating far better than they ever have with a vivacious program, and to climax things, Shen/Zhao skating to gold. Can't say fairer than that.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast