Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Commentators

Jamie & David were great. I think he said what the entire aduience were thinking about the Ukranian costumes. I LOL. Loved when he said, "let this be a lesson: don't let your competition design your outfits."

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Considering he butchered the Germans' names and can't catch half of what goes on, on the ice anymore.. I don't think it's ageism so much as they want someone more accurate.

then again Bob Costas said Denney & Barrett were two time national champions.

as for Peggy and Dick - they were ABC's commentators, not NBCs... they bring Dick in for color stuff now on NBC, but Peggy wasn't on the team four years ago. She IS in Vancouver and was in the building tonight, though. Sat infront of Vice President Joe Biden.

welcome to the boards, post often, post long!
    Everybody makes mistakes in live commentary sometimes. Dick is perfectly acute IMO. Whatever he might lack compared to others he makes up for in wit and directness. I don't miss Peggy though - she was pretty bland and didn't offer much detail. I'd like to see him with a quiet detail person - a PJ Kwong type.

I did notice Scott toned it down, actually. Have we heard the last of "tired legs"???

I don't miss Peggy though - she was pretty bland and didn't offer much detail.
    I think she'd be different with a co-commentator not bullying her into submission ala Dick. Man could not and would not let her have an opinion without talking down to her.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8n Mama View Post
    Jamie & David were great. I think he said what the entire aduience were thinking about the Ukranian costumes. I LOL. Loved when he said, "let this be a lesson: don't let your competition design your outfits."
    Oh that's too funny! Unfortunately I didn't get to see them. Does anyone have link to a picture of their costumes?

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by OHgal View Post
    Oh that's too funny! Unfortunately I didn't get to see them. Does anyone have link to a picture of their costumes?
    http://www.daylife.com/photo/0fn34bL...figure+skating

Quote Originally Posted by OHgal View Post
    Also see post 453 in the Pairs Short thread.

Custom Title
    I think she'd be different with a co-commentator not bullying her into submission ala Dick. Man could not and would not let her have an opinion without talking down to her.
    That is true. She was more assertive circa 81-83 and then became "classic Peggy". Towards the end, after Dick's head injury, she reasserted herself, especially when she was paired with Carruthers.

Gosh, I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

But... I just "can't help loving that man"!

Custom Title
    I usually don't like Sandra Bezic commenting but I liked her this time (Pairs).
    I do miss Uncle Dick! Sometimes his comments about flexibility and pointing the toes and stuff get annoying, but now it kinda feels empty without that

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Gosh, I never noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

But... I just "can't help loving that man"!
    it became extremely noticable once Kurt Browning joined the team for me. Dick would try to pull the same crap with Kurt and Kurt - while respectful - would restate his opinion and put Dick in his place reminding him that he had his own opinion. First time Kurt did that I stood up and cheered lol

Rinkside
    Rod Black(Canadian coverage) is annoying the crap out of me. I hope they have someone else for the other events.

Custom Title
    Am I the only one who likes Scott and Sandra? They love skating and skaters, and they each have insights that add to my understanding of what's going on. They've both been rather quieter this year, but if Scott wants to be enthusiastic, he's certainly earned that right. Sandra is not just a former skater but a choreographer, so her commentary on details of people's programs can be very helpful. For example, she pointed out that the positioning of S and S's jump in their layout made the jump automatically chancy. Someone mentioned her accent. I think a lot of Canadians have that crisp enunciation. It might depend on where in Canada she comes from. To my ear it's very pleasant, so I guess it's all a matter of taste.

Liz Manley is doing pretty good tonight with David. However, Rod Black has just gotta go!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Am I the only one who likes Scott and Sandra?
    I don't like Sandra, I can't get over her overly mean/biased commentary during the pro competitions, or her high and mighty attitude during 2002 with the anti-Russian bias and how she sided with NBC and let Scott hung Scott out to dry when he came back the next night and apologised for letting his emotion get the better of him during the LPs...

that being said I love listening to Scott's commentary, grunts, groans, and all!

Rinkside
    I don't like Sandra, I can't get over her overly mean/biased commentary during the pro competitions, or her high and mighty attitude during 2002 with the anti-Russian bias and how she sided with NBC and let Scott hung Scott out to dry when he came back the next night and apologised for letting his emotion get the better of him during the LPs...

that being said I love listening to Scott's commentary, grunts, groans, and all!
    I agree. She's obviously very knowledgeable and experienced, but there's something about her voice that I just dislike. That, and the way she dominates the commentating.

On another note, does anyone know why Dorothy Hamill isn't a commentator? I think she'd be awesome.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast