Olympic Commentators | Golden Skate

Olympic Commentators

JohnNewEngland

Spectator
(This is my first post to the form, so if this topic has either been brought up before, or should be posted elsewhere, please accept my apologies.)

Hi All,

In watching tonight's pairs short program, I was disappointed that both Dick Button and Peggy Fleming seemed to be among the missing in the broadcast booth. Am I accurate in assuming this? Will we not hear from them during this olympics?

I'm not a huge fan of Sandra Bezic. I find her comments to be condescending and her enunciation and "accent" to be exaggerated and affected. I do like Scott Hamilton, though. But I miss Dick Button's commentating the most. For me, he's the voice of international figure skating, and I'm disappointed that he won't be on air in Vancouver. However, maybe he'll be part of the team for the singles competition.

Any thoughts or other information on this?

ARipp42014

Medalist
(This is my first post to the form, so if this topic has either been brought up before, or should be posted elsewhere, please accept my apologies.)

Hi All,

In watching tonight's pairs short program, I was disappointed that both Dick Button and Peggy Fleming seemed to be among the missing in the broadcast booth. Am I accurate in assuming this? Will we not hear from them during this olympics?

I'm not a huge fan of Sandra Bezic. I find her comments to be condescending and her enunciation and "accent" to be exaggerated and affected. I do like Scott Hamilton, though. But I miss Dick Button's commentating the most. For me, he's the voice of international figure skating, and I'm disappointed that he won't be on air in Vancouver. However, maybe he'll be part of the team for the singles competition.

Any thoughts or other information on this?

Well Dick was on tonite with Bob Costas before the final flight. However, I would've loved to have him (as annoying Dick can be pointing out skaters flaws) over Sandra and Scott! At least 2 out of 3 ain't bad (Terry Gannon is hosting the FS Show on Universal Sports with Kristi and Peter).

You have lots of company on this page in these opinions. See the Olympic Drinking Song thread, for example. There are also threads praising Dick Button (aka Uncle Dick to skating fans).

I thought Uncle Dick would have more of a role in the Olympics and I'm annoyed that he's been retired. Rank ageism!

Welcome to the forum!

evangeline

Record Breaker
On the Canadian front, I think Sale and Pelletier did a decent job commenting on CTV. They didn't talk too much during the performances, and generally pointed out useful things like difficult variations, etc--well, mostly Pelletier, I guess.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought Uncle Dick would have more of a role in the Olympics and I'm annoyed that he's been retired. Rank ageism!

Welcome to the forum!

Considering he butchered the Germans' names and can't catch half of what goes on, on the ice anymore.. I don't think it's ageism so much as they want someone more accurate.

then again Bob Costas said Denney & Barrett were two time national champions.

as for Peggy and Dick - they were ABC's commentators, not NBCs... they bring Dick in for color stuff now on NBC, but Peggy wasn't on the team four years ago. She IS in Vancouver and was in the building tonight, though. Sat infront of Vice President Joe Biden.

welcome to the boards, post often, post long!

Moxie

On the Ice
Hah! I want calm/cool/collected Gannon and Hamilton to commentate together. What an odd couple they would make. lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hah! I want calm/cool/collected Gannon and Hamilton to commentate together. What an odd couple they would make. lol

I think it would be a fantastic combination. much like how Scott worked with Lundquist on CBS... when Scott was at his best (IMO)

jcoates

Medalist
I think it would be a fantastic combination. much like how Scott worked with Lundquist on CBS... when Scott was at his best (IMO)

That's a good point. Lundquist, like Gannon, made a serious effort to learn abou the sport and treated it seriously. Quite unlike the obvious disdain Hammond shows. Terry and Vern clearly like figure skating and their professional approach kept Scott's exuberance in check.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That's a good point. Lundquist, like Gannon, made a serious effort to learn abou the sport and treated it seriously. Quite unlike the obvious disdain Hammond shows. Terry and Vern clearly like figure skating and their professional approach kept Scott's exuberance in check.

I agree. Verne often set Scott up for a soundbite or two... and Terry just amazes me as far as a color commentator goes. He really truly appreciates this sport and not just the stars... watching him (yes I kinda sorta stalked him back in teh day lol) at nationals in 2005 and 2006 he was watching the practices more intently than the experts.

And, maybe it's just me, but Scott has been pretty quiet this whole broadcast. Even his enthusiasm is subdued... maybe he reads the boards (we know universalsports lurks here from time to time as they've posted a few times)..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's always acknoledged that - in his book he can't stand listening to himself commentate because he catches everything we complain about :laugh: it just pops out!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
CTV : David in particular is pretty good.. but I've noticed before that he often has something thoughtful to say. Even when they had a bit of fun at the expense of the Ukrainian costumes , it wasn't mean. Certainly not as blunt as I would have been.

ARipp42014

Medalist
CTV : David in particular is pretty good.. but I've noticed before that he often has something thoughtful to say. Even when they had a bit of fun at the expense of the Ukrainian costumes , it wasn't mean. Certainly not as blunt as I would have been.

David wasn't the only one. I think Tom asked Sandra what shade of blue they were wearing and she said "electric blue".

And David looked HOT.

Agreed! :agree::love::biggrin: Jamie, OTOH, :eek:hwell:

(don't worry I love Jamie... just wasn't her best today in the looks department ;) )

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Jamie & David were great. I think he said what the entire aduience were thinking about the Ukranian costumes. I LOL. Loved when he said, "let this be a lesson: don't let your competition design your outfits."

Considering he butchered the Germans' names and can't catch half of what goes on, on the ice anymore.. I don't think it's ageism so much as they want someone more accurate.

then again Bob Costas said Denney & Barrett were two time national champions.

as for Peggy and Dick - they were ABC's commentators, not NBCs... they bring Dick in for color stuff now on NBC, but Peggy wasn't on the team four years ago. She IS in Vancouver and was in the building tonight, though. Sat infront of Vice President Joe Biden.

welcome to the boards, post often, post long!
Everybody makes mistakes in live commentary sometimes. Dick is perfectly acute IMO. Whatever he might lack compared to others he makes up for in wit and directness. I don't miss Peggy though - she was pretty bland and didn't offer much detail. I'd like to see him with a quiet detail person - a PJ Kwong type.

I did notice Scott toned it down, actually. Have we heard the last of "tired legs"??? :rofl:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't miss Peggy though - she was pretty bland and didn't offer much detail.

I think she'd be different with a co-commentator not bullying her into submission ala Dick. Man could not and would not let her have an opinion without talking down to her.

OHgal

Rinkside
Jamie & David were great. I think he said what the entire aduience were thinking about the Ukranian costumes. I LOL. Loved when he said, "let this be a lesson: don't let your competition design your outfits."

Oh that's too funny! Unfortunately I didn't get to see them. Does anyone have link to a picture of their costumes?