Elvis Stojko Previews Men's, Pair's, and CoP | Golden Skate

Elvis Stojko Previews Men's, Pair's, and CoP

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Just read Stojko's preview of the Men's competition. May I say, I for one am getting a wee bit tired of Elvis playing the "if you think men's skating is a bunch of men trying to be artistic skating to classical music and using effeminate moves" rhetoric. Elvis - ENOUGH already. We know you are butch beyond belief. Truly, he seems like he's stuck in a buddy cop movie. Great skater Elvis, lousy columnist. Just my take.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
;)Not just you. Let Go, Elvis...And CoP ain't perfect yet , but already it's easier to explain finishes than under 6.0

schiele

Final Flight
Which is just sad, cos apart from the tedious "if you think men's skating is a bunch of men trying to be artistic skating to classical music and using effeminate moves" rhetoric, he actually makes some good points in men's analysis and once you get past that part, it was an interesting read.. :rolleye:

I think Elvis makes some valid points about male figurre skating.

I have not read anything about the origins of FS and if the 2nd mark was to be the opinionated Artistry or whether it was meant to be simply Form.

it was originally a male sport but with the advent of Miss Henie it became a colossall woman's sport with skating rinks opening every where as well as coloring books and paper doll books. Today, I would say it is an Emotional Woman's Sport with the 2nd mark more important than the first.

I think he has something to say and writes well, with attention to each skater's strengths and weaknesses... even if I don't agree with what looks like an animus against Johnny (I would guess). And no mention of Jeremy, Nobu or Lambiel?

His evaluation of Evan is one of the few I've seen that combines a high estimation of his ability with a very fair assessment of his weaknesses. He seems to assess Patrick very fairly as well.

His podium predictions don't seem to fit the analyses although I pray he is right about Daisuke! But then, in this event, the podium truly is anybody's guess. The only thing that would shock *everyone* is Plushenko not on it.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
He does make some interesting points , once you get beyond his "effeminate movement" hangups. Trouble is, he never gets beyond them..and it always makes me feel there's an underlying self justification still at play.I'm pleasantly surprised that he gives Takahashi the credit that he does, but then, his jumps are gorgeous when on ( jumps trump all , with Elvis )..I'm equally dismayed that he doesn't appear to give Johnny or Jeremy or Stephane any consideration, when surely they have to be in the mix...it's slippery out there.:rolleye:

Last edited:

Justafan

On the Ice
These pro-macho guys can rag all they want on Johnny. I'm betting some of these former skaters turn commentators WISH they had the amount of female fans that Johnny has and the skating officials should take note for future reference that more fans = more tickets at pay-to-watch events. Scott Hamilton should take note of that too for SOI. Just my 2 cents.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I respect Stojko's view of a what a male skater should be in his eyes, however, a guy landing jump and after jumps with no transitions, emotion, spins, or choreography does nothing for me. Afterall, there is a PCS components along with TES....Hmmm, perhaps thats why I never got into Joubert...

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If one forgets what Stojko mentions about artistry, otherwise the article was a great analysis, in my opinion.