OMG I love Yukina Ota | Page 2 | Golden Skate

OMG I love Yukina Ota

rGirl - The famous actor was Carol Burnett. She appeared on the Johnny Carson show and sang her hit recording of "I'm in love with John Foster Dulles" which was just a spoofy thing. But from then it was history for Burnett.

Oh yes, Liz to Todd to Eddie to Richard (and Debbie in pigtails.):laugh:

Joe

Last edited:
Joe,
Carol Burnett! I never would have guessed that one. But I can name all of Liz's hubbys: Nicky Hilton, Michael Wilding, Mike Todd, Eddie Fisher, Richard Burton, Richard Burton, Senator John Warner, and Larry Fortensky, which makes her Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Burton Warner Fortensky.

Back on-topic:
Twinnie,
Ota's strongest point, IMO, is the quality of the way she moves, which one can't see in photos. When you see her, she still might not do it for you as a total skater, but as I said, the one time I saw her at Jr. Worlds in a skate that had its problems and not much projection, I was at least intrigued and impressed by her movement quality, especially of the shoulders, arms, and head. As for the spiral, quite a few junior and even senior skaters hold their free leg up. Hopefully she'll improve that and not have to hold it, and also point her toes. The spread eagle photo I think gives more of an idea of her style. Also, remember, Shine is in love:love: and as we all know and have done, when one is in love, things one might dislike in another don't seem noticable in one's beloved.
Twinnette

shine

Record Breaker
more :love:
You are right on. I'm also not really fond of the hand held position on the spiral because it makes the skater's body appear not as well extended. But WHO CARES when it comes to Ota. I was impressed by her SP, but BLOWN AWAY as well as mesmerized by the LP. I think she brought every aspect of her skating to a whole new level this year. I think you will like what you see, and I surely hope ABC will show BOTH her programs.

IMO, she is a very special skater. Every element is well thought out and connected by great stroking and edging. And she has inate feel for music, but will probalby lose to some jumping jack without any class, imo. But that's the way it is figure skating.

Joe

mpal2

Final Flight
You might want to catch the current issue of BOI. It had some 1-2 page length articles on up and coming skaters. They mentioned a lot of the Japenese ladies including Yukina. Very nice articles.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
I watched Yukina Ota last night on ESPN2, and she was very impressive! She is very elegant and musical!

P.S. Thank you for the photos shine!

Pookie

Final Flight
I saw her for the first time a couple of nights ago. She is a lovely skater. I'm going to enjoy watching her the next few years. :)

eliza88

On the Ice
Count me in as an Ota fan! I just saw her for the first time the other night for her Skate Canada SP. I was very impressed! I look forward to seeing her A LOT in the future! I haven't been this excited about an up and comer since Naomi Nari Nam!

eliza88

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I also saw her for the first time on TV the other night and was very impressed with her skating. She is lovely to watch and I think someone to watch in the future. I also thought her dress was very pretty compared to the others.

Shine count me in as a new fan:)

qoo

Rinkside
Rgirl,
I think we talked about Oksana and Yukina last year... Oksana has been my favorite and now my interest lies on Yukina.
I would like to hear your opinion again now that you saw Yukina's new SP. Her beautiful hands movement and inate musicality always reminds me of Oksana. I thought Oksana's Swan Lake was a materpiece and now I wonder how Yukina will skate to that. I think her version will be(if any) very delicate, gentle and ethereal! I would love to see her skating to Swan Lake. What do you say?

Hi qoo

Yukina's Swan Lake (is that her LP?). It is probably the more lyrical music of Act II (at the Lake). She is a lyrical skater and I am sure she will fit in there quite well.

But, it is Sasha's Act III (the ballroom) bravura music which brings down the house for the pyrotechnic tricks. This is Sasha at ther best.

Joe

qoo

Rinkside
Hi Joe,

You got me wrong... I meant I would like her to skate to Swan Lake eventually and not necessarily now. Her this year's LP is "Daphnis and Chloe" which she presented beautifully.

Yeah.. I think Sasha has lots of tricks under her sleeves and her showing of consistency this year makes me wonder if she overcame her mental weakness and all that. Sasha's program is really fine and seems flawless in addition to all those wow factors. Yet my favorite Swan Lake has always been Oksana's. I enjoyed her "ballet on ice" very much.. and I can't help thinking what it would be like for Yukina to skate to that;)

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Yukina seems to have this inner rhythm that's in resonance with the music at all times. The tension of her body changes spontaneously in accordance to a mood change in the music. She is so "in sync" with the music, and she uses her entire body to express. A few skaters would sacrifice the completion of their technical elements (ie. short of rotation on spins) in the short program so they can match the music, and Yukina would be one of them. And she is such a natural dancer; the fluidity in her movements and the connection between one move and the other is unparalleled.:love:

Last edited: