"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order" - Article | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order" - Article

Alatariel

On the Ice
Not defending him per se, as I am not a fan of his believe it or not but he has improved. Not spectacularly of course and he is still focused on jumps but an improvement was there IMO.

Plushenko has improved on his spins too, and if you think that now they are not something great will tell you what I thought of them in Torino. Doesn't annul the fact he has improved. I like Plushenko, doesn't mean I'm blind to his faults though I actually am annoyed more about the fact that I think he can do great choreo, he just doesn't want to it seems. Though again, let's wait and see what he does now.

seniorita

Record Breaker
thank you Ximena of what you wrote, it was a relief cause I have doubts that my english are that bad, I read an english article but journalists were writing in like..chinese. It is a shame people neither jourmalist actually read before judging. It is the same case as buying a book by its cover I guess. Probably looking at tilte only. I m sort of tired with all these articles. Too much of aggresiveness in a gentle and artistic sport. I dont have such a strong stomach. Waiting to enjoy the competition tonight, this is what I like anyway!
So figure skating boards can have 2500-post, 100,000-view threads?
:):):)
MM, when you re bored with Maths, you can start teaching psychology(i m in no position to give carrier advice , I know:cool:), you can balance and can take a whole negative feeling off with just a line, I really smiled at the end of an ugly thread, it has happened multiple times with your posts!So now i can go happy to plushy thread to make it 2501:p thank you!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Read this on Yahoo! while searching for the medal count:

Yahoo! Article by Maggie Hendricks
"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order"

Mishin: "The instinct for the judges is the late groups are better skaters."

"If Mishin and Plushenko want proof that the start order means nothing, they should look to Sunday night's pairs short program. The Chinese pair of Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao were the very first skaters to take to the ice, and they broke the scoring record."....So true

This article means nothing, except to show that North Americans are intimidated by Plushenko's come back and trying to do everything they can to diminish him.;):biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
I love Mishin's joke :)

Mishin told a joke to express his feeling that the judges' mindset hadn't changed.

``One time the devil came to God and said, `We should organize a figure skating competition between the underground and paradise.'''

``God said, `Listen, you suggest a silly thing because all Olympic champions are with me.'''

``The devil answered, `All the judges are with me.'''

That is the best thing I have read today ! :biggrin:

prettykeys

Medalist
Plushenko has improved on his spins too, and if you think that now they are not something great will tell you what I thought of them in Torino. Doesn't annul the fact he has improved. I like Plushenko, doesn't mean I'm blind to his faults though I actually am annoyed more about the fact that I think he can do great choreo, he just doesn't want to it seems. Though again, let's wait and see what he does now.
I feel that exact same way. Still, I'm quite tired of the Plushenko hate.

I do believe starting order/groups still matter for the most part, especially when it comes to PCS and you are relatively unknown. However, for big names like S/Z and Plushenko, I think their reputations null that fact.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Actually, statistically it does. I remember Mathman posted soma data about it once.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Love Mishin's joke.

And the Plushy / choreo thing has always been my main knock on him. I was afraid when he first won that we'd see his expession, choreo etc. firm into an ironclad sameness... ( at the time, sort of in challenge to Yagudin.) So, I feel robbed , because we'll never see anything different from him, and I always felt he was capable of more artistically.

But if he pulls off a deserving win , I'll be happy.

From what i've seen of the changes Brian has made at Euros, I feel he has for the first time, seriously tried to address his weaknesses. It might be too little, too late.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reasons against his comeback: low transition scores, diva attitude, lack of charisma, boosted marks bad for figure skating credibility, antiquited views on skating.

The article touches on some of those. Do you have a point?

Plushenko may not have much artistry, but he has a ton of charisma, IMO. I admire his arrogance--oops, I mean confidence. His jumping is the best, bar none. Plushy's critics, it seems to me, are those who want to hold back the sport (and there seem to be many) by valuing "transitions" more than quads.

Last edited:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Plushenko may not have much artistry, but he has a ton of charisma, IMO. I admire his arrogance--oops, I mean confidence. His jumping is the best, bar none. Plushy's critics, it seems to me, are those who want to hold back the sport (and there seem to be many) by valuing "transitions" more than quads.

Actually, favoring transitions over jumps is moving the sport forward. Jumps last less than what 10 seconds in a long program? The rest is a lot more than filling.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Ideally we would have a skater who wouldn't favour either of these but would be consistent and equally good in both jumps and choreo, trs etc.

Since there is no such thing as perfection but there is beauty in diversity both styles should be equally valued and not put one in front of the other, because if absolute balance is not possible, then someone close to it will be the best and preference of one or the other style will be just that, preference.

The sport while going forward in chore and trs has gone backwards in jumps and that is not good either. Stagnation in any part is not good.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
The sport while going forward in chore and trs has gone backwards in jumps and that is not good either. Stagnation in any part is not good.

The last two World Champions won without a single quad, and it's possible that this year's OGM-winner may also lack it. Some athletes won't risk the quad, as attempting harder jumps is no longer as awarded as it was in the past -- but that doesn't mean there's no progress. The focus now is to hone technique on jumps already in the arsenal, rather than breaking new land, and with the earned time, perfect the other parts to the program. Increasingly, skaters are learning better technique and correcting their flutzes and lips, although they are setting aside that lovely quad. I think any judgment on "progress" and "regression" in figure skating itself is bound to be subjective, and comes down to how one sees figure skating. I see it as a perfectly equal combination of athleticism and artistry. One who lacks even slightly in one department tips the balance, and no longer meets my ideal. Some people consider it a sport of the likes of 1500m speed skating, while others consider it kindred to modern dance. People have different opinions on everything -- why can't they have different approaches to skating? I, for one, understand the beauty of transitions, but don't think they constitute as much as jumps do in a program. The aggregate sum of all those PCS factors, now that I might champion over jumps. I actually think skaters like Plushenko and Joubert are great for the sport, as they encourage transition-focused skaters (like Chan) to upgrade their technical arsenal in order to remain competitive. If Plushenko were to stay for a few more competitive years, I bet he would incorporate transitions in response to his unsatisfactory 6.8, and Chan would try to master that quad, like he was earlier last year. It's kind of a symbiotic relationship, and from this both "camps" would benefit in the long-run.

As for Plushenko, I admit I'm biased, but I adore his personality. I'm a sucker for divas. I really don't get all the Plushenko-hating because he really is awe-inspiring to watch. We are all given to our opinions, but I really have to object to the suggestion that he has no charisma. He's absolute 24K charisma on ice. He has PRESENCE. Real presence that emanates not only from his long list of achievements, but also from his dominance and confidence. I'm always thrilled to see a skater who doesn't tremble in competition.