"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order" - Article | Golden Skate

"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order" - Article

reynycpr

On the Ice
"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order" - Article

Read this on Yahoo! while searching for the medal count:

Yahoo! Article by Maggie Hendricks
"Team Plushenko whining again; this time, it's skating order"

Mishin: "The instinct for the judges is the late groups are better skaters."

"If Mishin and Plushenko want proof that the start order means nothing, they should look to Sunday night's pairs short program. The Chinese pair of Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao were the very first skaters to take to the ice, and they broke the scoring record."....So true

heyang

Record Breaker
There is one good thing out of COP, IMO. Skate order shouldn't play as much of a role. Under the old system, the judges probably would've scored S/Z lower in case another team performed better - in other words, I would've been shocked of S/Z got all 6.0's or 5.9's for their SP going 1st.

Going early does mean that an early skater might have to create more energy in the building and not all of the audience was seated. I'm glad they are announcing the skate orders - otherwise, i might not have tuned in early enough for S/Z's SP.

Alatariel

On the Ice
I don't mind the order really, it certainly didn't bother him in Torino when he skated, what, second? I think Mishin is just being himself though he is more objecting to the system than whining.

And whining 'again'? Meh, I just don't get the animosity towards Plushenko. :think:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Oh please. And if it was a blind draw he very well could have drawn 1st. Skating early does not matter under CoP. Look and Shen and Zhao. I wonder why Mishin alwasy feels that Plushenko is slighted when his student goes out and scores 100 points for the SP.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rolleye: How quickly Plushy forgets that he skated only 2nd in the Olympic SP draw in Torino. Takahashi skated 1st in that SP.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Frankly I just think it's some sort of tactics, because of all the talk about Inman etc and him telling that joke in the end. He probably knows very well it means little, it's just mind games he's playing.

amateur

Final Flight
(as an aside...) I think I'm in the minority, but I really preferred the complete random draw for the Olympic SP, the way it used to be done... it somehow seems more exciting that way for me, like you never know who is gonna lay it down and when

Ximena

Final Flight
It's really impressive how some people call themselves journalist and they can't read their own links, when did Evgeni (or his camp as the article mentions it) says that the judges are bias to NA? And the video part, ISU sent out an official communication saying that the decision was their own doing while checking with the Russian fed that Evgeni is actually coming back.

DesertRoad

Final Flight
So Plushenko coming back is a good thing for what reasons again?

I don't care for Plushenko's skating at all, and I think he's vastly overmarked in the PCS. But regardless, despite the 4 year absence, Plushenko can still do enough in the TES to be a dominant force in men's skating. He is the best men's skater competing right now. And if he's got that in him, why shouldn't he compete?

BigJohn

On the Ice
What would be the reasons against his comeback so to say? And how is this article in any way related to them?

Reasons against his comeback: low transition scores, diva attitude, lack of charisma, boosted marks bad for figure skating credibility, antiquited views on skating.

The article touches on some of those. Do you have a point?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Reasons against his comeback: low transition scores, diva attitude, lack of charisma, boosted marks bad for figure skating credibility, antiquited views on skating.

The article touches on some of those. Do you have a point?

Diva attitude is hardly a credible reason, we have quite a few more divas than just Plushenko here, and he's not even the worst.

I agree on his TR scores in Euros, I would have scored him down some 2 to 3 points more. On the other hand, neither of us have a time machine, so we'll have to see what he actually does first for his Olys skate.

Lack of charisma is nonsense because it is your subjective opinion, has nothing to do with this conversation except to show your overall personal bias.

I have no idea what you mean by boosted marks for figure skating credibility? I am guessing this again has the TR scores in mind but he is not the only skater to be overscored and that is not so much a Plushenko issue but a judging issue.

Antiquated views of skating is another nonsense - there is not one view that should be the rule for everyone. People have different styles and that's it. There were good and bad things that happened in skating in the past four years and again, we will see if he adjusts his programs at all based on what he saw at the Euros.

So anything related to Plushenko specifically that HE can influence or just general issues of skating judging and you personal agenda?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
please remember GS is not a skater specific board. we're going to disagree - best to ignore most of the negative on your favorite. bickering just fuels the fire instead of changes a person's mind.

took me a long time to realize that, just offering up advice. :agree:

BigJohn

On the Ice
Diva attitude is hardly a credible reason, we have quite a few more divas than just Plushenko here, and he's not even the worst.

I agree on his TR scores in Euros, I would have scored him down some 2 to 3 points more. On the other hand, neither of us have a time machine, so we'll have to see what he actually does first for his Olys skate.

Lack of charisma is nonsense because it is your subjective opinion, has nothing to do with this conversation except to show your overall personal bias.

I have no idea what you mean by boosted marks for figure skating credibility? I am guessing this again has the TR scores in mind but he is not the only skater to be overscored and that is not so much a Plushenko issue but a judging issue.

Antiquated views of skating is another nonsense - there is not one view that should be the rule for everyone. People have different styles and that's it. There were good and bad things that happened in skating in the past four years and again, we will see if he adjusts his programs at all based on what he saw at the Euros.

So anything related to Plushenko specifically that HE can influence or just general issues of skating judging and you personal agenda?

1- Well so far, he's the biggest diva at these games, so that's a minus in my book.

2- Are you suggesting that Plushenko has any kind of charisma?

3- I do believe that a former champ clearly a step behind on every elements of skating saved for jumping has no business being crowned OGM, especially based on boosted by reputation unfair judging.

4- Plushenko and Joubert represent an antiquated view of skating, putting all emphasis on jumps.

Not my agenda, just my views on Plushenko's return, and his whining attitude about skating order. :)

Alatariel

On the Ice
1- Well so far, he's the biggest diva at these games, so that's a minus in my book.

2- Are you suggesting that Plushenko has any kind of charisma?

3- I do believe that a former champ clearly a step behind on every elements of skating saved for jumping has no business being crowned OGM, especially based on boosted by reputation unfair judging.

4- Plushenko and Joubert represent an antiquated view of skating, putting all emphasis on jumps.

Not my agenda, just my views on Plushenko's return, and his whining attitude about skating order. :)

How can he be the biggest diva of the games when he is yet to utter a single sentence? He's been seen only in practices and hasn't spoken to journalists.

The charisma bit is subjective and how that can be considered a negative for his return, even if it were true, is simply beyond me.

Obviously I don't agree with the third point, apart from transitions. We have no idea who will be the OGM, we haven't even seen the SPs!

Actually, Joubert has worked hard to change that, it's pretty obvious. Second, again, antiquated according to whom? You? That makes it a personal opinion again.

Last, Plushenko wasn't whining about the skating order. In fact, he has said nothing at all since arriving to V.

Which ever way you turn it all sums up as you yourself having a negative opinion about him and all that, not an objective bad influence he may have on the sport that you can substantiate.

BigJohn

On the Ice
How can he be the biggest diva of the games when he is yet to utter a single sentence? He's been seen only in practices and hasn't spoken to journalists.

The charisma bit is subjective and how that can be considered a negative for his return, even if it were true, is simply beyond me.

Obviously I don't agree with the third point, apart from transitions. We have no idea who will be the OGM, we haven't even seen the SPs!

Actually, Joubert has worked hard to change that, it's pretty obvious. Second, again, antiquated according to whom? You? That makes it a personal opinion again.

Last, Plushenko wasn't whining about the skating order. In fact, he has said nothing at all since arriving to V.

Which ever way you turn it all sums up as you yourself having a negative opinion about him and all that, not an objective bad influence he may have on the sport that you can substantiate.

All right, emphasis on only jumps is what COP is all about. So you think Joubert has improved... That is where the discussion crosses the line from "having fun procrastinating talking about skating" to "wasting time with a lunatic."

But it's OK. It's figure skating, it is all subjective.

Alatariel

On the Ice
Nobody is forcing you to talk, all your choice - please, do not waste any more of your precious time :biggrin: