Plushenko: "Most important thing at the Olympics, not to dissapoint myself" | Golden Skate

Plushenko: "Most important thing at the Olympics, not to dissapoint myself"

Ximena

Final Flight
Plushenko: "Most important thing at the Olympics, not to dissapoint myself"

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/69048077.html (Almost directly from translator)

Russia figure skater Evgeni Plushenko told that he is ready for any outcome at the Olympics in Vancouver.

"When it became known that I came back, all were waiting for me to fail, they even took pleasure of it. I read articles on the Internet and in some forums it was written "Hope he falls, why has he come back he has taken the place of other athletes, the train is leaving and he is still trying to jump in the bandwagon - and stuff like that.

To speak frankly: I will accept any result. Sports are sports and much of it depends on luck, even more because you need the best of it in an specific moment. From nerves and endurance. From the judges' fariness. To me, the most important thing has already happened, it was possible to comeback. And at the Olympics to me it's important not to disappoint myself - to do everything that I do in training. That's enough " Plushenko said in an interview to «HELLO!».

I know I belong to that very small group that actually want him to do well, but I like his attitude because having follow him for years and of course this season, this is actually the attitude he has embraced for this Olympic season, to skate clean and what will come will come.

Apparently he is also hoping for a bronce so he'll have his whole set ;) but like he said now, he said before leaving to Russia that even if he ends 10th he won't care as long as he skates well. And I hope he does.

Last edited:

jessica1018

Spectator
He's a kind of guy who goes extremes like his personality. He's cold, overwhelming, precise, ruthless but witty and sweet at the same time. He doesn't let you have many choices. You adore him or hate him. I understand that some poeple can't accept his style. That's why I understand the below description of him.

"Plushenko, pale-complected with a helmet of long, thin, wheat-colored hair, didn’t look like he’d ever stepped outside the rink let alone battled the forces of evil. He was arty — balletic and, at times whimsical — and often appeared emotionally distant. He had a taste for the abstruse, almost as if he were French. Still, his lines were unparalleled, at least outside the Bolshoi, and his physical power always came as a surprise. His biggest jumps, including quads, appeared effortless; not a single hair slid out of place as he floated above the ice."
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/sports/100208/russia-figure-skating-plushenko

I guess those who adore him -including me- have a taste for the abstruse like him. To them, he's just irresistable.:love:

He lost 10 kilos (22 pounds) to come back and apparently worked so hard to recover his jumps and other elements. The last thing that he's been working on seems transitions, which is allegedly the most important aspect in the figure skating according to some people. We will see his final efforts in a day.

I don't care whether he can win an extra olympic medal or not. His comeback itself is just a gift to fans. And I hope what he hopes.

Man of will, nerve of steel. This might be his last shot to go. Like him or not, you'll see this giant's last works. Just enjoy.;)

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
thanx for interview. Since this is plush actual direct quotes for a change, i smiled with what he said and i ll try to go by the same atitude, skate his best and the rest dont matter. Plush has lived the ups and downs of this sport since teenager, he has nothing to lose now anyway. Only me I might lose ten years of my life tonight, lol!:laugh:

what's abstruse?? I have it too?

Alatariel

On the Ice
Abstruse would be something difficult to understand, esoteric even. Could mean even hidden on occasion.

I agree that people who love him have a taste for it, I certainly do!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Great strategy and mind set! I wish Joubert, Lambiel, and Abbott think like this too (I hope they do!) Cross my fingers for them for tonight!

figuristka

Medalist
Iam glad Plushenko is back and i think he deserves respect for making a come back after years off and still having the technical content he has. He's always skated with so much flare and energy too even if his choreography is sometimes lacking. I certainly don't want him to bomb and fall even though there are other's i would LOVE to see on the podium. I do hope its judged fairly though and the best 3 are indeed the ones on he podium. I do have a soft spot for all the returning skaters such as S/Z, lambiel.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
He's a kind of guy who goes extremes like his personality. He's cold, overwhelming, precise, ruthless but witty and sweet at the same time. He doesn't let you have many choices. You adore him or hate him. I understand that some poeple can't accept his style. That's why I understand the below description of him.

"Plushenko, pale-complected with a helmet of long, thin, wheat-colored hair, didn’t look like he’d ever stepped outside the rink let alone battled the forces of evil. He was arty — balletic and, at times whimsical — and often appeared emotionally distant. He had a taste for the abstruse, almost as if he were French. Still, his lines were unparalleled, at least outside the Bolshoi, and his physical power always came as a surprise. His biggest jumps, including quads, appeared effortless; not a single hair slid out of place as he floated above the ice."
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/sports/100208/russia-figure-skating-plushenko

I guess those who adore him -including me- have a taste for the abstruse like him. To them, he's just irresistable.:love:

OH I love your description and that of the article. They summarize everything I love about him.

Enero

On the Ice
Though there are others I would like to see on the men's podium, I must admit I have a soft spot for Plushy. He's is so passionate, charismatic and confident, and he can back up the hype. When he announced his plans to return, I was one the many who was not supportive. I didn't want to see him "tarnish" his outstanding record. However, after watching his comeback this season I have a whole new respect for his talent and him as a person.

I wish him the best in the long program. When its all over I hope he is pleased with his return.

Buzzz

Final Flight
At first I was not sure if him coming back was a good thing but now I take it all back. I am glad he came back and wish him all the luck. :)

fairly4

Medalist
actually that is so true- you want to be true to yourself first and don't care what anyone else says or thinks. why he doesnty have to live with media, public -just himself and -he has to live with himself, ideas, and ways, character. no me or anyone else.