Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Men's Short Program.. Tuesday 16th, 7:15PM EST

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To the poster who thought VAUGHN CHIPEUR was undermarked---I don't think so. The guy who was undermarked was the North Korean (first to skate) who landed 3A, 3F+3T and 3Z. Chipeur should have been placed below Song Choi Ri because not only did he fall on the 3A, but he did only 3F+2T, then stumbled on the serpentine footwork.

Chipeur got the home ice advantage and was allowed to do the FS. You should be grateful he didn't finish 25th.

To the poster who wondered why EVAN LYSACEK won't be at Worlds: Evan has joined the Stars on Ice tour as a full cast member. The show opens in Florida on April 1st, and the rehearsals for the show are the last two weeks of March, during Worlds. So Evan can't go to Worlds.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Perhaps a little evil, but think about how evil I must feel as I thought Stephane was a little overmarked and I really like him...

I have a blind spot for Lambiel. His skating always seems the best to me.....
What surprised was that I thought Johnny deserved higher marks. But that was before I knew he had some dgs on his jumps.

What is disappointing is to see some of the great skaters have bad skates. We lost the chance to see a comparison between a clean Brian and Plushy not to mention how a clean Jeremy or Patrick would have been marked compared to the top three.

Olympic ice ...... always full of surprises and disappointments.

Last edited:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)But we can still hope for those comparisons in the free skate..medals be damned.

Brian sounded terribly deflated in his interviews..I don't know if he can pull himself together. But I think both Jeremy and Patrick possibly can ( What have they got to lose ?), neither one seemed quite as devastated in their post SP comments.

Joe - Brian Orser would be great for Brezina , but failing that, a top notch choreographer would do wonders for him.If his coach is his choreographer , though..they sometimes don't want to let go.;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes, I watched the competition. I think Chipeur should have been several spots higher than 24th.

He got a 27 for PCS which is why skaters like Jeremy, Brian, and Tomas placed ahead of him - their PCS scores were all about 10 points higher. He also didn't do a 3-3 which is why the other men were ahead of him.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
You CANNOT be serious.

I was there live and there is a reason why Lambiel got the biggest ovation after hometown boy Chan (and maybe Lysacek), even with all the mistakes.

You're probably right but I have never seen him live and was so distracted by his awful costume that I really couldn't enjoy that performance. Plus I also thought Koz and Brezina and Chan were awesome and was mad about their scores after Lambiel's was that much higher giving what he did.

You're probably right but I have never seen him live and was so distracted by his awful costume that I really couldn't enjoy that performance. Plus I also thought Koz and Brezina and Chan were awesome and was mad about their scores after Lambiel's was that much higher giving what he did.

I agree about the costume. But getting past that, and setting aside the jump mistakes, Lambiel was totally on a different planet from Chan and Brzina -- or anyomne else, for that matter (except maybe Takahashi.)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) Ah, the costume... But it didn't bother me as much as some ; I suppose I've learned to ignore the costume to a certain degree with Lambiel, because he's just so wonderful..I did feel he didn't have to try to be so..historical.. about it. Everyone knows William Tell. But , looking ahead, if he wears the same costume for his LP that he wore at Europeans..it's positively reserved by comparison , so we're in for a treat.

Oddly ,I don't mind Dai's costumes this year either, though I often have in the past. They're still very flashy, but done with so much panache.I sort-of feel they're so much better design-wise , I barely notice how over the top they are. ( and I'm one whose preferred costume for men is a well-fitted pair of pants and a slightly bloused silk shirt..:laugh:)

schiele

Final Flight
I agree about the costume. But getting past that, and setting aside the jump mistakes, Lambiel was totally on a different planet from Chan and Brzina -- or anyomne else, for that matter (except maybe Takahashi.)

I still think Lambiel is ahead of Taka by some way, at least pre-2009 Lambiel definetely was.. But then again I am one of the few who can't quite jump on the Dai adoration boat..

sidwich

Rinkside
I have no idea if someone mentioned it already - I didn't have the time to read all posts - but Stephane is supposed to be Wilhelm Tell here, our Swiss national hero of late middle ages. So his costume, especially the puff sleeves are inspired by things like that:

http://www.gewandungen.de/strumpf/06_17_PatrITA15JH2H.jpg

I personally wouldn't need the sleeves, but at the same time they don't bother me much. I think the rest of the costume quite good, especially the leather-boot-like shoe covers. :p

I actually mostly liked Stephane's costume. I didn't love the high collar because it disrupted some of his lines, but otherwise I thought it really fit the choreography and the cheekiness of the music.

Or maybe I was totally blinded by the fact that he managed to use his arms in a non-contrived manner with actual positions. Yay for non-flailing in the straight-line footwork sequence!

Also mucho impressed that he was snapping his head in time with the accents of the music in the turns coming out of the butterfly at the end of his footwork. It's the little details in his movement and musicality which really elevate him from the pack even when he can't jump like he did three or four years ago.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:) Ah, the costume... But it didn't bother me as much as some ; I suppose I've learned to ignore the costume to a certain degree with Lambiel, because he's just so wonderful..I did feel he didn't have to try to be so..historical.. about it. Everyone knows William Tell. But , looking ahead, if he wears the same costume for his LP that he wore at Europeans..it's positively reserved by comparison , so we're in for a treat.

Oddly ,I don't mind Dai's costumes this year either, though I often have in the past. They're still very flashy, but done with so much panache.I sort-of feel they're so much better design-wise , I barely notice how over the top they are. ( and I'm one whose preferred costume for men is a well-fitted pair of pants and a slightly bloused silk shirt..:laugh:)

I like Takahashi's costumes...the busy/flashy design makes him look powerful on the ice even though he's just a little guy.