Pairs Event Wrap-Up: Your thoughts on the podium! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs Event Wrap-Up: Your thoughts on the podium!

Trewyn

Medalist
I watched the medal ceremony. It was strange how the camera stayed on Aliona when Pang/Tong were receiving their medal. I didn't see Aliona cry but she looked just pissed off and no energy. The HD shows too much sometimes.

There were definitely tears (or near tears) if I recall correctly almost as soon as she steps onto the podium. Not sure about 'pissed off' but definitely no energy; at some point I feared her legs were going to give in under her. I think it was a rough moment for her (knowing it's over, knowing you didn't skate your best in the LP...). I'm sure they'll recover and hopefully they'll skate for gold in Turin. Last night; it just wasn't meant to be, I think. Shen/Zhao getting the gold seemed written in the stars; S/S just didn't have that 'Olympic Joy' that you see in most Olympic Gold Medal Performances.

The number of mistakes was high last night. But despite not watching pairs all that often, I have the feeling that it's quite common for programs to have at least a wobble or two? At least I hope this isn't a preview of the next figure skating events!!!

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I'm so happy for that podium.
S/Z were my favourites since turandot2003 and I'm just so happy for them, they did a perfect SP, and great LP, though with those lift error.

P/T were absolutely amazing in LP, but coming for the 4th position it would have been a great surprise getting to gold (also a bit unfair).

S/S, I feel sorry for them. I loved them since dortmund2004 and I've also seen them alive many times...but this season they had plenty of problem and I didn't really expect them to get all together here. perhaps they wanted it too much and felt all the pressure of that...

I'm also very happy for Nicole and Yannick (italians)!

BTW, it was since 1964 that we hadn't a non-Russian pair on the top!

And yes, I'm so curious now to see what happens in the other disciplines...it has become much more interesting!:biggrin:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Yey that was a great podium, S/S were wonderful despite the mistake that took my breath away for a moment, the end of their program was touching. I saw only last two groups, my heart broken for K/S and I felt sorry for them. But i know podium has ony 3 places and I was happy at the end of night, medal ceremony was priceless with s/z singing on top of it! I bet beepbeep is flying to the moon today :)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Yuko said that she was kind of confused to be told right before the performance that they shouldn't try the quad.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Shen and Zhao are Golden!!

I couldn't be happier with the podium we got. Shen and Zhao showed us why they have such a command on the ice, they embody the phrase "two shall skate as one", which is what defines pairs figure skating. Seven years ago they made me cry with how beautiful they skated to Turandot, and four years ago with their bronze medal in Torino, I was happy for them, because is was a miracle to get there after Hongbo's injury. Yesterday the dream came true at last. They are golden!

On a technical comment, watching again their program I don't think the error on the lift was so bad, they did salvage it enough and didn't disrupt the program. I was worried because the next 3 elements after that lift were the biggest ones, and they did them outstandingly beautiful.

I was also proud of Pang and Tong, they sure have come a long way, and with style. I wanted them also on the podium and what a great joy that they advance to second place. Tong is such a great dancer, I think he is one of those few male pair skaters that grab your attention, because of his extension and musicality. Very well done by them!

Savchenko and Szolkowy had a rough night, the first jump I got worried for Robyn, and was paying so much attention that I didn't notice Aliona making a double until Scott mentioned it. This particular program of theirs is not my favorite, I think their short is better, but with all the problems they encounter this season, they should be proud of their bronze medal as well.

I can't believe that I actually got my dreamed podium!

Last edited:

tidesong

Spectator
Happy with the podium. Not able to watch all of them yet, but happy esp for shen and zhao. They've come such a long way!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuko said that she was kind of confused to be told right before the performance that they shouldn't try the quad.

:no: That's the worst thing a coach and skater could do is to go against their plan at the last minute, especially at an Olympic Games.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
It was a strange night, pretty much all the pairs fell except the top two and even Shen and Zhao skates the worst I have seen them a year. I though they would do another world record breaking performance but I think they were just too realxed and confident they had it won.

I have to say the judging was fair, I really have no beef with anything, which is a blessing in and of itslef.

Pang and Tong really impressed me, talk about the right choice of music! It was the most expressie I have ever seen her, and although the throws were not as effortless as they usually are, it was so nice to see a clean program.

I was so sad for Aliona and Robin. I think they have been feeling all season that there was no way they could beat Shen and Zhao for the gold and almost gave up before they even got here. Ironically if thy had been clean they would have won considering Shen and Zhao had mistakes. It was still a beautiful program, but they looked so sad...

K&S stunned me. I thought they would do the quad for sure, and so did he. It seems he threw her for the quad but she only did a triple and so the throw was too big. After that they knew it was pretty much over. I was just so surprised to see so many mistakes from them.

Dube once again pulls a Keauna. I reallly thought thy would have that magical skate with that beautiful program, but not to be. Nice performance, but not the emotion of Nationals.

M&T were okay... Why all the red dresses? But it was better than the balllet inspired white tights look. She felll, so now they are even.

I found Zhang/Zhang painful
to watch. Why did both teams skating to Sherezade ignore the music? I though Caydee and Jeremy did a better job.

Mark and Evora were great. Top Ten is such an accomplishment and i think they skated better than at Nationals. They were just a joy for me and certainly one if the highlights of the night.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
First of all, congatulations to all the medalists!

I think, Shen & Zhao's win has made so many fans around the world happy. Like, finally!

If I have to choose between the two non-faves, I'd give the gold to Pang & Tong.

Of course I'm disappointed with how S & S and K & S have done. But who's to blame? In their case, certainly not the judges. I wonder if they stick around for another 4 yrs. Shen & Zhao should inspire them in that regard.

waxel

Final Flight
The judging seemed fairly on point. (I think the US skaters were taken to task- but that wasn't unexpected.)

Glad for S&Z.

Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage. Especially the graphics (confusing teams with their countries...) and going from team to team without telling their score or where they've placed in the competition. Difficult to follow.

Chatter is down between Sandra and Scott- but they actually leave out a lot of important information.

Hope NBC will improve with future competitions.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I'm so happy that Shen & Zhao won and Pang & Tong got silver!!!!!!!!! I would have been so upset if Kavaguti & Smirnov had won or even medaled with that performance.. I was afraid that was going to happen, because they're Russian and all, but I'm so impressed that the judges didn't hold them up. :)
Yes! Looking at her I felt bad but I thought about the over all big picture of that "team" and don't feel so bad. I will say they both had great composure after realizing they likely would not medal. I am not trying to say anything about coaching, she is a Icon coaching, however watching Tamara walk off as soon as the camera came gave me a terrible feeling.
Pang & Tong were SO WONDERFUL, but Shen & Zhao have better PCS, IMO, and they were my emotional favorites as well!!! I'm also happy for the Germans although they were def. not at their best. I wish the Canadian teams had skated better. For the record, I think Sale & Pelletier's version of Love Story was MUCH better than Mukhortova & Trankov's.
By the look on Jamie and David's face I would have to agree with you there. Regarding one of my favorite teams, Jessica and Bryce have time though it is so hard to be in Canada in the "epitomizing sport of the Olympics" and not have a medal with two wonderful teams like that. Seeing Jessica's look on her face ... that was painful. Seemed like everyone who weren't in contention (so to speak) for the medal were very content just to do their best. I was so pleased with this event over all. There "Drama" well just par for the sport.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
This competition, I think, was ALL about mental toughness. I think both S&S and K&S just wanted it too much, and so put more pressure on themselves. P&T, though, seemed quite relaxed in their "underdog" position - and delivered that perfect performance. I mean, I personally like the Russians and the Germans better, but that was THE kind of a performance once hopes to see at the Olympics.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage.
Hope NBC will improve with future competitions.
I second that in some areas, they have done better in the past.
Some of the camera work last night was hideous. I cannot believe that during a routine in Pairs I watched skaters jumping solo! :scowl::mad: On the other hand they are doing well scrambling to adjust schedules for events, I think this could be placing some of the assistants in charge. Weather not cooperating and the ice issues at thew speed rink. Gotta feel for some of NBC.
As for the host country, they are having quite a hard time also.

Bennett

Record Breaker
:no: That's the worst thing a coach and skater could do is to go against their plan at the last minute, especially at an Olympic Games.
Yuko:
"(We/I) intended to do the quad so that rebooting my/our mind(s) was a little......."
"(We/I) wanted clean skate too strongly."
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20100216-00000088-mai-spo (In japanese)
Note: In the Japanese language, you often drop the subject. So she can be talking about both two of them or just about herself.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
So happy for Shen and Zhao! Pang and Tong were out of this world last night but I do like the way the podium ended up!!!!!

Now on to the men!

Enero

On the Ice
I second that in some areas, they have done better in the past.
Some of the camera work last night was hideous. I cannot believe that during a routine in Pairs I watched skaters jumping solo! :scowl::mad: On the other hand they are doing well scrambling to adjust schedules for events, I think this could be placing some of the assistants in charge. Weather not cooperating and the ice issues at thew speed rink. Gotta feel for some of NBC.
As for the host country, they are having quite a hard time also.

ITA! The camera work was horrendous, during the short program too. While watching Shen and Zhao there were a couple of times when the camera nearly chopped her out of the frame. They must have some amateur cameramen doing the work for this competition. :mad:

Anyways, I'm very happy with the podium. Shen and Zhao worked so hard to get here, and though their skate was less than perfect they deserved their win. Pang and Tong were wonderful as well. I'm so happy they finally made the Olympic podium. S/S are such a polished pair, nice lines, good speed, beautiful interpretation of the music. Its a shame that the mistakes undid them. If they'd skated clean I have no doubt they would be Olympic Champions.

Lastly, I felt terrible for Yuko. The brief exchange the camera caught between her and TM backstage did not seem pleasant.

Last edited:

icebeauty

On the Ice
a few thoughts...

Shen/Zhao - the fairytale ending we have all been waiting for. They don't always have to be perfect, because well they are human after all but the joy, emotion, technical skill they leave out on the ice just gives us all chills every time they skate. For me, I never really cared about pairs skating until they came along. There was always an overwhelming favorite/Russian team that was just better than everyone else. But then Shen/Zhao came along and challenged everyone with their technical skill and along with it over the years demanded perfection in competition as well (just think every time S/Z were competing everyone either had the skates of their lives or meltdowns). They are the skaters that come to mind for me when some says "pairs skating," and not just for what they do on the ice but for everything they've gone through in the past 18 years to make the dream come true. Just a little tidbit, since S/Z only competed in the 2006-2007 and 2009-2010 seasons, they are technically undefeated in this past Olympic cycle....WOAH!

Pang/Tong - silver has never looked so good! They give some of the best performances, but are ALWAYS over looked. They've only won when others have faltered, but if anything they never gave up. And this time when it counted the most, they brought the house down and "won" silver. So happy for them!

Savchenko/Szolkowy - story of their life...they just can't do a clean LP. Had they done one, the podium would be very different, BUT really were we all that shocked to see them make a few mistakes in the long...as hard as i was cheering for them, i wasn't shocked. Considering where their season was headed prior to the Olympics though, they did a solid and very respectable job. I hope they stick around.

It's great to see that 5 or the 6 skaters on the podium are in their 30's (Aliona is the baby). Even with the technical demands of pairs skating, it's nice to see that longevity is possible in the sport. Here's to many more great figure skating moments to come.

I hope the US teams build on their experiences. Evora/Ladwig had the highest single scoring element in the entire pairs competition at these Olympics :)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

I guess that was because the pairs skating before them, who would have possibly challenged them, were so bad last night.. falls everywhere.

Simoncat

Rinkside
The judges got it right this time. It also makes me wonder if some of the teams will not survive this Olympics. The have been rumours flying around for several years about D?D,and this may be it for them.