Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pairs Event Wrap-Up: Your thoughts on the podium!

Custom Title
    The judging seemed fairly on point. (I think the US skaters were taken to task- but that wasn't unexpected.)

Glad for S&Z.

Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage. Especially the graphics (confusing teams with their countries...) and going from team to team without telling their score or where they've placed in the competition. Difficult to follow.

Chatter is down between Sandra and Scott- but they actually leave out a lot of important information.

Hope NBC will improve with future competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm so happy that Shen & Zhao won and Pang & Tong got silver!!!!!!!!! I would have been so upset if Kavaguti & Smirnov had won or even medaled with that performance.. I was afraid that was going to happen, because they're Russian and all, but I'm so impressed that the judges didn't hold them up.
    Yes! Looking at her I felt bad but I thought about the over all big picture of that "team" and don't feel so bad. I will say they both had great composure after realizing they likely would not medal. I am not trying to say anything about coaching, she is a Icon coaching, however watching Tamara walk off as soon as the camera came gave me a terrible feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Pang & Tong were SO WONDERFUL, but Shen & Zhao have better PCS, IMO, and they were my emotional favorites as well!!! I'm also happy for the Germans although they were def. not at their best. I wish the Canadian teams had skated better. For the record, I think Sale & Pelletier's version of Love Story was MUCH better than Mukhortova & Trankov's.
    By the look on Jamie and David's face I would have to agree with you there. Regarding one of my favorite teams, Jessica and Bryce have time though it is so hard to be in Canada in the "epitomizing sport of the Olympics" and not have a medal with two wonderful teams like that. Seeing Jessica's look on her face ... that was painful. Seemed like everyone who weren't in contention (so to speak) for the medal were very content just to do their best. I was so pleased with this event over all. There "Drama" well just par for the sport.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 02-16-2010 at 11:30 AM.

This competition, I think, was ALL about mental toughness. I think both S&S and K&S just wanted it too much, and so put more pressure on themselves. P&T, though, seemed quite relaxed in their "underdog" position - and delivered that perfect performance. I mean, I personally like the Russians and the Germans better, but that was THE kind of a performance once hopes to see at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage.
    Hope NBC will improve with future competitions.
    I second that in some areas, they have done better in the past.
    Some of the camera work last night was hideous. I cannot believe that during a routine in Pairs I watched skaters jumping solo! On the other hand they are doing well scrambling to adjust schedules for events, I think this could be placing some of the assistants in charge. Weather not cooperating and the ice issues at thew speed rink. Gotta feel for some of NBC.
    As for the host country, they are having quite a hard time also.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    That's the worst thing a coach and skater could do is to go against their plan at the last minute, especially at an Olympic Games.
    Yuko:
    "(We/I) intended to do the quad so that rebooting my/our mind(s) was a little......."
    "(We/I) wanted clean skate too strongly."
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000088-mai-spo (In japanese)
    Note: In the Japanese language, you often drop the subject. So she can be talking about both two of them or just about herself.

So happy for Shen and Zhao! Pang and Tong were out of this world last night but I do like the way the podium ended up!!!!!

Now on to the men!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    I second that in some areas, they have done better in the past.
    Some of the camera work last night was hideous. I cannot believe that during a routine in Pairs I watched skaters jumping solo! On the other hand they are doing well scrambling to adjust schedules for events, I think this could be placing some of the assistants in charge. Weather not cooperating and the ice issues at thew speed rink. Gotta feel for some of NBC.
    As for the host country, they are having quite a hard time also.
    ITA! The camera work was horrendous, during the short program too. While watching Shen and Zhao there were a couple of times when the camera nearly chopped her out of the frame. They must have some amateur cameramen doing the work for this competition.

Anyways, I'm very happy with the podium. Shen and Zhao worked so hard to get here, and though their skate was less than perfect they deserved their win. Pang and Tong were wonderful as well. I'm so happy they finally made the Olympic podium. S/S are such a polished pair, nice lines, good speed, beautiful interpretation of the music. Its a shame that the mistakes undid them. If they'd skated clean I have no doubt they would be Olympic Champions.

Lastly, I felt terrible for Yuko. The brief exchange the camera caught between her and TM backstage did not seem pleasant.
    Last edited by Enero; 02-16-2010 at 11:56 AM.

Custom Title

a few thoughts...

Shen/Zhao - the fairytale ending we have all been waiting for. They don't always have to be perfect, because well they are human after all but the joy, emotion, technical skill they leave out on the ice just gives us all chills every time they skate. For me, I never really cared about pairs skating until they came along. There was always an overwhelming favorite/Russian team that was just better than everyone else. But then Shen/Zhao came along and challenged everyone with their technical skill and along with it over the years demanded perfection in competition as well (just think every time S/Z were competing everyone either had the skates of their lives or meltdowns). They are the skaters that come to mind for me when some says "pairs skating," and not just for what they do on the ice but for everything they've gone through in the past 18 years to make the dream come true. Just a little tidbit, since S/Z only competed in the 2006-2007 and 2009-2010 seasons, they are technically undefeated in this past Olympic cycle....WOAH!

Pang/Tong - silver has never looked so good! They give some of the best performances, but are ALWAYS over looked. They've only won when others have faltered, but if anything they never gave up. And this time when it counted the most, they brought the house down and "won" silver. So happy for them!

Savchenko/Szolkowy - story of their life...they just can't do a clean LP. Had they done one, the podium would be very different, BUT really were we all that shocked to see them make a few mistakes in the long...as hard as i was cheering for them, i wasn't shocked. Considering where their season was headed prior to the Olympics though, they did a solid and very respectable job. I hope they stick around.

It's great to see that 5 or the 6 skaters on the podium are in their 30's (Aliona is the baby). Even with the technical demands of pairs skating, it's nice to see that longevity is possible in the sport. Here's to many more great figure skating moments to come.

I hope the US teams build on their experiences. Evora/Ladwig had the highest single scoring element in the entire pairs competition at these Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Yuko said that she was kind of confused to be told right before the performance that they shouldn't try the quad.
    I guess that was because the pairs skating before them, who would have possibly challenged them, were so bad last night.. falls everywhere.

On the Ice
    The judges got it right this time. It also makes me wonder if some of the teams will not survive this Olympics. The have been rumours flying around for several years about D?D,and this may be it for them.

I'm so happy that Shen & Zhao won and Pang & Tong got silver!!!!!!!!! I would have been so upset if Kavaguti & Smirnov had won or even medalled with that performance.. I was afraid that was going to happen, because they're Russian and all, but I'm so impressed that the judges didn't hold them up. Pang & Tong were SO WONDERFUL, but Shen & Zhao have better PCS, IMO, and they were my emotional favourites as well!!! I'm also happy for the Germans although they were def. not at their best. I wish the Canadian teams had skated better. For the record, I think Sale & Pelletier's version of Love Story was MUCH better than Mukhortova & Trankov's.
    I totally agree!
    Bad news is NBC's terrible coverage.
    Should we expect anymore from them? Yup terrible coverage.

Fabulous!!! I was really hoping S/Z would be golden.

I'm sorry that S/S didn't skate better. You could tell they were disappointed. I thought their program was lacking a little in expression after some of the mistakes. P/T had an amazing skate. Thought the judging was mostly great and the top 3 teams were definitely right.

Dh and I were debating: how many times or since when has their been no Russian team on the podium? I said, "I guarantee they know at Golden Skate."
    Last edited by Sk8n Mama; 02-16-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Custom Title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW-UArnHP_I

Yup, I got into the whole "vlogging" thing right before the Olympics.. here's my thoughts

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Best photo of Xue and Hongbo's victory

Very cute picture. Thanks for sharing Spun Silver.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast