Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

Okay really weird question, but why does everyone call it that?

TriGirl Rinkside
    LMAO ... A classic GS thread. I can't do the story justice, and I've forgotten names. Does Rgirl still have a link to that thread?

Salchows and Shimmies!!!
    Um, well, Braves, its kind of cheeky slang. Let's just say that the forest animal referred to is old slang for a certain part of the female anatomy. Picture the position of Sasha's free leg and I think you'll get it!!!

oh ....maybe I shouldn't have asked :o lol

Hey, if they can name a jump after my brother Wally, then there's no reason they can't name a spin after me!

Lightbulb

Actually, I think we had a contest to name that spin. My Twinnie won with "Beaver Cleaver". :D

BTW, Idle:

Custom Title
    LOL...I actually think of that spin as the "Beaver Cleaver" now! Thank goodness I'm not a commentator...."Such impressive stretch and control in this phenomenal Beaver Cleaver". LOL! I somehow don't think this would be very popular with Dick or Peggy...but Terry Gannon would probably love it.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    ^^^Terry Gannon would be rolling with laughter!! LOL

I think of that spin that way too. I can't even remember what the actual name of it is anymore! LOL :D

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc

spin...

In roller skating, we called it the pencil spin, because ideally, you want to be as straight as a pencil.

I've always had my own personal nicknames for a "Catchleg Spin" and a "Bielmann Spin" but if I were to print them here, I'm sure Paula would immediately erase the post.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

Personally, I find the title "Beaver Cleaver" for this spin offensive and too suggestive. I am surprised it's been allowed on Golden Skate. Let's keep it clean folks.

PS - "Leave It To Beaver" was one of my all time favorite shows - I am sure the cast "would not be amused."
    Last edited by Ladskater; 11-06-2003 at 02:20 AM.

Custom Woman
    Actually, Lad, at least 95% of the time I see reference to Sasha's spin on GS people try to be respectful of others and use the initials "BC spin" instead of the joke name. If you're offended at anybody, Lad, be offended by me. I'm the one who started the contest and made up the BC name. BTW, you should have seen the names of some of the other entries

About the reaction of the "Leave It to Beaver" cast, given that Barbara Billingsley did her "I speak jive" in the movie "Airplane" and other cheeky roles sending up her image as the perfect '50s mom, I dunno, it seems she might dig the humor.

Thisthingcalledlove--That's interesting about it being called a pencil spin in roller skating. In rhythmic gymnastics a spin they use that is essentially like the Biellmann spin is called the pencil spin because the girl fully extends the free leg, keeps her torso up, and pulls the free leg close against her back, ie, to try to look like a pencil. What I'd always heard the forward extended catch-foot spin position called in figure skating was the "shotgun" spin. From about '96 to '00 quite a few skaters did it: Rudi Galindo, Ilia Kulik, Vanessa Gusmeroli, others. But the skaters before Sasha only got the free leg up to about 30 to 45 degrees above hip level.

Funny though about the consensus that Terry Gannon would probably get a kick out of it. As I said in my report about being at Campbell's, I accidentally got slightly pushed into Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers as the crowd was leaving and they were going the other way. After, "Sorry," I said, "It's the famous Terry Gannon" about which he laughed and said, "Yeah, real famous!" I swear, at that moment I had a brief thought of, "Shoot! If things weren't so crowded, I'd tell Terry Gannon what to call Sasha's spin." But I'd bumped into Peter Carruthers too (don't think he'd get a kick out of it) and they were going the opposite direction of me. Ah, those moments of fleeting opportunity...

So, Braveskatefan, you brave skate fan, just in case there is any doubt, I made up the name "BC" for Sasha's spin. I, myself, Rgirl, ME, ME, ME!!! If anybody else claims it was him, he's lying. I should be getting all the cheers and accolades! I should be getting all the megabucks in royalties! I should be offending people! A truly genius idea like that only comes along once in a lifetime. WHY, WHY, WHY didn't I copyright that name when I had the chance???!!! OTOH, I'd probably get in trouble with Sasha's lawyers if I had and I don't think she'd be interested in buying the trademark from me so she could call it "Sasha Beaver CleaverTM."
    Rgirl
    Last edited by Rgirl; 11-06-2003 at 06:41 AM.

Custom Title

Well

Lad, most posters I know throughout the internet refer to this spin of Sasha's as the "BC spin" or just come right out and say it. Personally, I didn't know it was made up by rgirl. WTG!

My choice would have been way off. I guess the BC spin is better than the CT spin because the CT spin wouldn't be quite accurate. And no, I will NOT explain CT.

This is the one spin of Sasha's that I simply cannot stand. Yuck! It's unladylike, unballetic, and just too much like a gumby move. Oh well! JMO!:D

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc

ct

Camel toe spin? Yipes! I would give that title to the biellmann, but I guess the pencil spin would be a CT spin as well.

BTW- there's a website called (I think) www.cameltoe.org

where it has Maria Butyrskaya's pic...

Anyhow, the name Rudi Galindo gave that spin was the eggbeater....coming from a male perspective, I'd name it the b*llbuster...

Custom Title
    Not that is matters but Rudy's spin is called a forward Biellmann. Hope he is doing well with his recovery.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast