Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin?? | Golden Skate

Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
:laugh: LMAO ... A classic GS thread. I can't do the story justice, and I've forgotten names. Does Rgirl still have a link to that thread?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Um, well, Braves, its kind of cheeky slang. Let's just say that the forest animal referred to is old slang for a certain part of the female anatomy. ;) Picture the position of Sasha's free leg and I think you'll get it!!! :laugh:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Actually, I think we had a contest to name that spin. My Twinnie won with "Beaver Cleaver". :D :laugh:

BTW, Idle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL...I actually think of that spin as the "Beaver Cleaver" now! Thank goodness I'm not a commentator...."Such impressive stretch and control in this phenomenal Beaver Cleaver". LOL! I somehow don't think this would be very popular with Dick or Peggy...but Terry Gannon would probably love it.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
^^^Terry Gannon would be rolling with laughter!! LOL :laugh:

I think of that spin that way too. I can't even remember what the actual name of it is anymore! LOL :D

IDLERACER

Medalist
I've always had my own personal nicknames for a "Catchleg Spin" and a "Bielmann Spin" but if I were to print them here, I'm sure Paula would immediately erase the post.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Personally, I find the title "Beaver Cleaver" for this spin offensive and too suggestive. I am surprised it's been allowed on Golden Skate. Let's keep it clean folks.

PS - "Leave It To Beaver" was one of my all time favorite shows - I am sure the cast "would not be amused."

Last edited:
Actually, Lad, at least 95% of the time I see reference to Sasha's spin on GS people try to be respectful of others and use the initials "BC spin" instead of the joke name. If you're offended at anybody, Lad, be offended by me. I'm the one who started the contest and made up the BC name. BTW, you should have seen the names of some of the other entries:eek:

About the reaction of the "Leave It to Beaver" cast, given that Barbara Billingsley did her "I speak jive" in the movie "Airplane" and other cheeky roles sending up her image as the perfect '50s mom, I dunno, it seems she might dig the humor.

Thisthingcalledlove--That's interesting about it being called a pencil spin in roller skating. In rhythmic gymnastics a spin they use that is essentially like the Biellmann spin is called the pencil spin because the girl fully extends the free leg, keeps her torso up, and pulls the free leg close against her back, ie, to try to look like a pencil. What I'd always heard the forward extended catch-foot spin position called in figure skating was the "shotgun" spin. From about '96 to '00 quite a few skaters did it: Rudi Galindo, Ilia Kulik, Vanessa Gusmeroli, others. But the skaters before Sasha only got the free leg up to about 30 to 45 degrees above hip level.

Funny though about the consensus that Terry Gannon would probably get a kick out of it. As I said in my report about being at Campbell's, I accidentally got slightly pushed into Terry Gannon and Peter Carruthers as the crowd was leaving and they were going the other way. After, "Sorry," I said, "It's the famous Terry Gannon" about which he laughed and said, "Yeah, real famous!" I swear, at that moment I had a brief thought of, "Shoot! If things weren't so crowded, I'd tell Terry Gannon what to call Sasha's spin." But I'd bumped into Peter Carruthers too (don't think he'd get a kick out of it) and they were going the opposite direction of me. Ah, those moments of fleeting opportunity...

So, Braveskatefan, you brave skate fan, just in case there is any doubt, I made up the name "BC" for Sasha's spin. I, myself, Rgirl, ME, ME, ME!!! If anybody else claims it was him, he's lying. I should be getting all the cheers and accolades! I should be getting all the megabucks in royalties! I should be offending people! A truly genius idea like that only comes along once in a lifetime. WHY, WHY, WHY didn't I copyright that name when I had the chance???!!! OTOH, I'd probably get in trouble with Sasha's lawyers if I had and I don't think she'd be interested in buying the trademark from me so she could call it "Sasha Beaver CleaverTM.":p
Rgirl

Last edited:

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Well

Lad, most posters I know throughout the internet refer to this spin of Sasha's as the "BC spin" or just come right out and say it. Personally, I didn't know it was made up by rgirl. WTG!

My choice would have been way off. I guess the BC spin is better than the CT spin because the CT spin wouldn't be quite accurate. And no, I will NOT explain CT.

This is the one spin of Sasha's that I simply cannot stand. Yuck! It's unladylike, unballetic, and just too much like a gumby move. Oh well! JMO!:D

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
ct

Camel toe spin? Yipes! I would give that title to the biellmann, but I guess the pencil spin would be a CT spin as well.

BTW- there's a website called (I think) www.cameltoe.org

where it has Maria Butyrskaya's pic...

Anyhow, the name Rudi Galindo gave that spin was the eggbeater....coming from a male perspective, I'd name it the b*llbuster...

pairsfan

On the Ice
Not that is matters but Rudy's spin is called a forward Biellmann. Hope he is doing well with his recovery.

I just got home from Ice Theatre of New York. The group is really getting first class. The Guest Artist tonight was Silvia Fontana. (I missed Oksana last night.) I looked for John in the audience but he must have had other plans.

Anyway, Sylvia is doing the BC and so is Ms Healy. Sylvia has a knockout pair of legs but that's a guy thing. John is lucky. Oh, yes, the spin is good too.

Other BC spinners are in Japan, and right here at home is one of my 'specials': Beatrisa Liang.

Are all thse BC's better than Sasha's total pencil position? Well, from what I've seen some equal some less than but no body better.

Btw, it's not my favorite spin anymore than the Bielman is. Too much contortionism is not my thinking of graceful beauty.

Joe

BravesSkateFan, to get back to the original question, I tried to find the old thread where Rgirl posted about twenty suggestions for this spin, but I wasn't able to locate it in the archives. The one that stands out in my mind is the "Me see'um perineum" spin, to give the flavor (so to speak) of the contest. The "BC" was the consensus favorite of the forum.

Not to be confused with Rgirl's "Now say something silly about Michelle's moves" contest, won by Piel with the "Show all you got Charlotte."

Mathman

Last edited:

SkateCynic

Rinkside
The BC name is relatively tame compared to the nickname of Galit and Sergei's move in their OD and FD (can't recall if it's a spin or a lift right now). Suffice it to say, it's a rather graphic position, and is now referred to casually as "STS". There are numerous posts about it over at FSUniverse, but I'm not going to post the link here as this is a PG forum.

Mathman, PML at the 'me see'um' name!! Surely that thread still exists somewhere in cyberland!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There was also a contest to name the Sandhu spin where his leg is down, his head is down and his butt is in the air. The consensus was that the OU spin was the correct name for it.
(orbiting Uranus)
dpp