Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin?? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

registered

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Pookie - You would never see a ballerina do that. A ballerina is not permitted to hold her leg in the air. If she can't get it on muscle she doesn't do it.

But this is skating and the concept of flexibility for me is way out of hand. So Sasha is doing her thing. It's ok. Just not my cup of tea.

Joe

Actually, ballerinas are "permitted" to hold their free leg, we can see it quite often in modern choreography pieces. Of course, ballerinas don't wear heavy boots with blades, and they never do sit spins either, and no one can manage a transition from the sit spin to an "I"spin, without holding a leg.

Flexibility is necessary in skating, without it we'd never see decent spirals, or lay-backs and Y-spins. Athletes were performing these elements for ages, and we saw few skaters trying to get their legs almost as high, as Sasha's, but SC is so uniquely athletically gifted, she really excels with those elements (which even more evident now with COP).

Nowadays we're witnessing a new tier of younger skaters coming up in the ranks, who work on their flexibility, as well as their jumps. Japanese Yukina Ota is really special and exciting skater, because her rear kind of flexibility allows her to perform difficult, and seldom seen moves. Young Carline Zhao Zhang is doing some clearly Sasha - inspired elements, and it helps her to stand out among peers.

Back to ballet. I'd say flexibility is a MUST in dancing today, maybe even more so, than in figure skating. With emergence of incomparable Sylvie Guillem of France, famous for her outstanding extensions, others like England's Darcey Bussell, Russian Svetlana Zaharova and Anastasia Volichkova have followed the suit.

http://www.imagidanse.com/graphismes/cinematheque/Guillem/photo3.jpg

http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/lillial/Guillemlago.jpg

Today you won't find a principal dancer in the respectable ballet company, who wouldn't have great extensions. Not your cup of tea? Perhaps. But welcome to reality.

Last edited:
Registered, that's quite a pose! (The first one. For some reason the second link didn't work for me. Do you have to be a "member" of something to access it?) I see that the dancer is not holding up her leg, just resting her hand on it. What makes the picture arresting to the eye is the muscles all the way up and down her leg. Sort of like the muscles in Sasha's leg in the V photo that everyone is so excercised about, LOL.

I kind of like the idea of Sasha as the "new wave" of skaters inspired more by modern dance than by clasical ballet.

About the BC spin itself, I think of it as an athletic feat rather than an aesthetic one. I do not think that the position itself is very attractive, because in order to achieve it she has to kind of fold herself in, with slightly rounded back and shoulders. I don't like the doughnut spin either, for the same reason.

The Y-spin, on the other hand, seems free and "open" in contrast. There is something friendly about it, like the skater is offering some part of herself to the audience, instead of shutting the audience out. (And I'm not talking about the split, LOL.)

I am not explaining this very well, because I don't know much about dance. But that's how the two spins strike me -- one is "open" and the other is "closed." Does that make sense?

Mathman

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Registered, that's quite a pose! (The first one. For some reason the second link didn't work for me. Do you have to be a "member" of something to access it?)
Mathman

Hmm, link works for me, I found the pic. on Google, you don't have to be a member to access it.

I wasn't looking for pictures of dancers, holding their legs, rather I wanted to find those, that showcase an importance of extension in today's ballet.

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/~jafowler/sylvie.html

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I am not explaining this very well, because I don't know much about dance. But that's how the two spins strike me -- one is "open" and the other is "closed." Does that make sense?

Mathman...that makes PERFECT sense! and I agree totally.

Hi Registered - Your quote:

"Today you won't find a principal dancer in the respectable ballet company, who wouldn't have great extensions. Not your cup of tea? Perhaps. But welcome to reality"

I have seen ballet for at least 40-45 years, I am quite familiar with the art form. Royal Ballet; Royal Danish; Paris Opera Ballet; Kirov, Bolshoi, NYC, ABT, San francisco, Robert Joffrey; Boston, Philadelphia, Miami, South Africa and I'm sure many others. the ballet reality has been with me for years and years.

The cup of tea was about the BC and Bielman spins - not beautiful extensions. I thought I was clear on that since I am a balletomane and I do separate ballet from figure skating.

I've been in reality for some time, and I know the difference between contortionism and Great Extensions. I actuall studied both in acrobatic and ballet classes.

You are correct about 'modern' ballet. Certainly if a ballerina is doing a ballet version of the French Can Can, she will hold her leg up in a BC position. It's part of the folk dance. I've actually seen Gaite Parisien not too long ago and the gals after holding their legs up there, let go and clapped their hands beneath before splitting on the floor. I should have said 'clasical' ballet.

Flexibility is necessary in ALL sports and dance otherwise the athlete or dancer is in trouble. It is a definite aid in the technique as much as natural rotation is or natural spring for jumping. Some years back a ballerina married to a football player gave the team classes in ballet barre. The team won that year. (It was a news item.)

Indeed Sasha's flexibility is quite obvious and aside from the BC which I do not like, I do like the catch foot camel (one hand one leg) - very pretty and not acrobatic, as was Maria Butryskaya's.

As mentioned on another post, I saw Sylvia Fontana do the BC recently and quite good, and of course, with all the other skaters now doing the BC it will become a regular acrobatic feat in figure skating. It doesn't make me like it any better than the wrestling position one has to get into to do the acrobatic Bielman spin.

As for today's ballerinas and ballerinos, I see them quite often and I've seen ballerinas from old old film clips who also have great extensions The tradition goes back to Cechetti who taught ballet way back in Italy, France, Russia and maybe Denmark.

Joe

Last edited:

registered

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

The cup of tea was about the BC and Bielman spins - not beautiful extensions. I thought I was clear on that since I am a balletomane and I do separate ballet from figure skating.

I've been in reality for some time, and I know the difference between contortionism and Great Extensions. I actuall studied both in acrobatic and ballet classes.

You are correct about 'modern' ballet. Certainly if a ballerina is doing a ballet version of the French Can Can, she will hold her leg up in a BC position. It's part of the folk dance.

Indeed Sasha's flexibility is quite obvious and aside from the BC which I do not like, I do like the catch foot camel (one hand one leg) - very pretty and not acrobatic, as was Maria Butryskaya's.

Hi Joe,

I wouldn't try to challenge your likes or dislikes. But I can't quite comprehend why Guillem's famous 6-o'clock GREAT EXTENSION would be considered beautiful, but a skater's, properly performing an I-spin (and I do not call it a BC spin), would be an act of contortionist. To me it looks like the same 180 degree extension.

I didn't come to think of a Cancan, but since you brought it up I have to address a factual inaccuracy. The Cancan was "born" in the 1880's on the Monmartre, it's a pure show routine, and is not considered a folk dance in any way, shape or form.

Hi Registered - Thanks for your reply. I do have my likes and dislikes and I prefer Darjeeling tea to Orange Pekoe:) :)

Ms Guillem's 6 o'clock extension for me is quite acceptable if it is performed as an arabasque ponchee a la Swan Lake or any of the other Petipa ballets. (Charlotte to skaters.) I even would approve the 'a la seconde' position as performed in Black Swan Pad de Deux (Y spin to skaters). But these ballet 'tricks' are not supported by hands. Just pure muscle control and a lot of limberness.

I'm not sure about Ms Guillem's 6 o'clock extension. If it is in the form of a BC and she doesn't hold her foot up there and it fits happily in the choreography I could like it or learn to like it.

Figure Skating does borrow from many forms of dance for whatever the music calls for. Some things I like and some I don't.

BTW, you are right that the Can Can is a show dance and not a true folk dance as the Tango is to Argentina. I should have used the term 'character dance' which covers a multitude of different ethnic dances - folk or otherwise.

And if you like the overextensions in figure skating, I predict you will be seeing more and more of them. Check out Bebe Liang at US Nats if she skates well and ABC allows all of the competition to be seen.

Cheers - Joe

Pookie

Final Flight
It doesn't make me like it any better than the wrestling position one has to get into to do the acrobatic Bielman spin.

I don't know much about ballet. This is a gorgeous picture:

http://thumba.image.altavista.com/image/57315326

It is the same extension as Sasha's but looks to be graceful and flowing.
I realize Sasha has skates to contend with but there isn't anything graceful and flowing about it. I, like Joe, don't really care for moves where skaters have to wrestle themselves into position. If it takes that much work, surely it can't be good on the body. :laugh:

windspirit

On the Ice
Pookie, it's the picture that caught my attention, too. And she's standing on her toes, which makes it all even more amazing.

euterpe

Medalist
The ballerina also isn't pulling her leg in close to her face, she is extending the leg gracefully. It's the pulling inward that makes the BC look more like a contortionist move. I find it ugly and almost offensive.

giseledepkat

Rinkside
That's a remarkable picture, Pookie! Thanks for posting it!

ITA with euterpe about the graceful extension. The other thing I like about the pose is there's no sense of strain in the upper body. The arms are remarkably relaxed! The part I like least about the picture of Sasha's BC spin is how her upper body is "bowed" out. I think this is part of the transition to a much more upright position on her part, but it just illustrates that she acheives that position with brute force.

BTW, does anyone have a good picture of Sasha's final position in this spin? It would be interesting to compare!

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Pookie that picture is beautiful. Whoever mentioned the struggle to get into the positions is right....very unattractive. And before the DECASM (don't ever criticize a Sasha move) gang starts whining that goes for Bielman's, Donut's, and some Y's (agree with Mathman about the openness, kind of like a great big HI!...thanks for showing us the light:) ) too. I mean if Sasha can't make a move look good it's doubtful that anyone can IMO.

Piel

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Ms Guillem's 6 o'clock extension for me is quite acceptable if it is performed as an arabasque ponchee a la Swan Lake or any of the other Petipa ballets. (Charlotte to skaters.) I even would approve the 'a la seconde' position as performed in Black Swan Pad de Deux (Y spin to skaters). But these ballet 'tricks' are not supported by hands. Just pure muscle control and a lot of limberness.

I've yet to see a dancer, any dancer, that can hold the "I spin" position without use of hands. Y, yes; I, no. I'd also like to point out that many a skater may be able to hold a position while standing on the ground. Can a dancer hold them while whirling about in a spin? With or without hands? Personally I've never seen comparisons of positions in skating and dance to be at all useful. They're very different animals and should be treated as such.

Pookie, nice pic, but the dancer was probably captured in a moment of movement and wasn't holding that position for more than a second or two at most. Also, her leg is not as high as Sasha's, it is not all the way up next to her head. If the dancer had been spinning and dealing with the laws of physics, I doubt she'd have looked as graceful, lol. Again, really, why compare dancers to skaters? Both do what they do very well. Neither needs to look or be more like the other to improve or be considered great IMO.

Editing to say I really don't like the I-spin, but I appreciate the effort it takes to do it. I don't care for the Y-spin either; seriously over-used! I only like Beillmans if they done well and held for longer than 1-2 revolutions; hello, if you're going to get in that position, stay there and make it worth the effort!

Last edited:

mpal2

Final Flight
Thanks for the pics Pookie,

I really like Michelle Wojdyla's photos. I think she manages to get some of the most tasteful and better shots of skaters and the positions they get into.

Those are nice pictures, Pookie. Her final position does look quite pretty in both of them.

Here is Sasha's Y-spin, if anyone wants to compare. What I liike about both of these spins is that you can tell by the tautness in her body (not to mention the concentration on her face) just how much effort it takes, even for a person of great flexibility, to get your leg way up there.

http://www.avis.ne.jp/~tkosawa/pic/photo-fig-s_cohen_l.jpg

Mathman

Pookie - Great pic of the ballerina! Do you know who she is?

For those interested she was probably being partnered by a danseur while she raised her leg in passe position and then extended it up to her ear without using her hands. It was pure muscle and a lot of fluidity. When she reached the possible top she could (and in the pic it is High), the partner probably let go and she balanced on TOE for several seconds (hamming it up to the audience - grimmacing is out of the question) before gracefully turning it into an arabasque. I've seen hundreds of them. Nobody, imo, can be so flexible and graceful at the same time as a classical ballelrina. Sorry skate fans but that's the way I see it.

peachstateskater - You probably never will see a dancer hold a leg in the air and spin. Dancers pirouette- not spin, and they don't hold legs. Heaven forbid. Your childhood ballet teacher would have a fit.:)

Mathman - Sasha's Y spin is as good as it gets. There is less wrestling with the hand and the leg in this so I give the trick a passing mark.

But I hold my stand on BCs and Bielmans - They are Orange Pekoe not Darjeeling.:laugh:

Joe

giseledepkat

Rinkside
OK, now I'm confused! :confused: Just what is the difference between a Y Spin and an I Spin? I know in most skater's Y spins the leg isn't lifted as high as that picture that Mathman posted (thanks!) so that it looks more like the letter Y. Sasha's leg is so high that at first I thought it was a picture of a "good" I spin! What I like is that her upper body looks more comfortable, and there isn't a big gap between her chest and her leg. ( I couldn't get those two links you just posted to work, Pookie :cry: )

And I can see that the I Spin involves both arms instead of just one. Am I missing something? Is the leg more to the side in the I Spin?

Last edited: