The Curling Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Curling Thread

BigJohn

On the Ice
Altough I was cheering for Sweden, that last stone on the 10th end made my heart stop. Cheryl Bernard of all people... they had the gold in their hands, and to let it go like that. Heartbreaking.

Still a good job by Bernard in her first big international competition. Norberg as won Europeans 7 times, world 2 times with 8 world medals total, and she won gold in Torino, she was the favorite.

BigJohn

On the Ice
That bronze medal game is our last Sebastian Kraupp fix until worlds. Let's make the most of it.

beep_beep

Medalist
Before anything, the men's final isn't over yet, but I have the need to state this:

The Bear is the Man.

Still a good job by Bernard in her first big international competition. Norberg as won Europeans 7 times, world 2 times with 8 world medals total, and she won gold in Torino, she was the favorite.

Get out of town!!! At the same age as Noreberg and for the level of her game, I was taking her to be really experienced at the internanional level. She was cold blooded bad *** (compliment) at the match! She''ll be girl's Kevin Martin by Sochi!

That bronze medal game is our last Sebastian Kraupp fix until worlds. Let's make the most of it.

Oh, yeah.

beep_beep

Medalist
The Bear is the Man!! Congatulation Martin's boys on the gold medal!

I didn't watch the last moments, did Norway shake hands? Canada was far superior through the whole match, more than the score showed.

Guess Kevin Martin won't be having any discounts on Thomas Ulsrud's tanning salons :biggrin: (bring the old smilies back!!)

Tigger

Final Flight
He is indeed and a really nice guy to boot!!

Had the pleasure about six years ago when Lively (Megan Duhamel Territory. :biggrin: ) hosted one of the events that make up the Grand Slam of Curling and Kevin's just a class, class act. When that final shot had been made, after yelling "FINALLY!!!", I turned to Dad and said, "Well Dad, you can now say you've met an Olympic Champion." The grin on Dad's face got even bigger after he realized what I'd said. LOL!!!

JohnnyMo also made history tonight. He is the first player to win Junior World, World and Olympic Championships. I can't believe w/all of the great players that have come through the Jr ranks around the World, that he's the first!!

Also loved the look on Kevin's face when Brian Williams told the team that thanks to their Gold Medal, we're now the Record Holders for the Most Gold Medals won by the Host Country of a Winter Olympics. His eyes just widened and you could tell he was saying some things to himself that would have gotten him in big time trouble w/the censors if he'd said them aloud. :biggrin: Oh, there were also five Lucky Loonies buried in the ice at the Curling venue. The crew there had dug them out and gotten them to the Studio in time for Brian to give them to the Guys. Brian was teasing them, "Now, remember Guys, don't spend these." as he was giving them out to them.

Oh and beep beep...Yes, everyone shook hands w/one another.

Still can't get over the shots that JohnnyMo made tonight. Talk about being on FIRE!!!

Been waiting far too long to post this next sentence anywhere online and I'm getting choked up just typing this...

Congratulations Kevin Martin and Team!! Olympic Champions AT LAST!!!!!

BigJohn

On the Ice
A great win for Martin, even if the beginning of the game had some minor mistakes from him. The Norwegian skip had bigger problems, mistakes and plain out misses. The reast of the Canadian team played great, Morris made great shots. Could not happen to a better bunch of guys

Also, since I missed the game because there was a huge show in town

(Wilco played only good songs for 2h30 thanks to a generous uninterrupted 60 minutes encore, this band completely rocks in concert, you must see Wilco live, it was better than Radiohead or Muse, and those bands are just insanely good live.)

I had to watch the feed on the ctv olympic site.

Whoa. No commenting, just the sounds (and game conversations) of the game. Awesome experience. You actually lived the whole game with the guys.

They made us very proud. 13th gold of the games, just incredible to win most gold these games. And to think we had so many 4rth and 5th places, it could (should) have been a bigger haul for Canada.

Get out of town!!! At the same age as Noreberg and for the level of her game, I was taking her to be really experienced at the internanional level. She was cold blooded bad *** (compliment) at the match! She''ll be girl's Kevin Martin by Sochi!

Sadly for Bernard, she's from Alberta. In order to win the Canadian Championships, she has to win provincials first, and winning the Alberta title is pretty tough. Then at Canadians, you have to win against all other provinces plus the defending Canadian team from the previous year. The best she did before is making the final, losing to a former world champion.

So silver is actually a great accomplishment.

Last edited:

beep_beep

Medalist
Oh and beep beep...Yes, everyone shook hands w/one another.

I'm not asking out of politeness, all curling players are absolutely polite, but as when the loing team recognises the opponent's superiority and shakes hands with them before the game is over recognising their superiority,

Just looked at the score, it's exactly what happened, they didn't finish the 10th end.

Tigger

Final Flight
Sadly for Bernard, she's from Alberta. In order to win the Canadian Championships, she has to win provincials first, and winning the Alberta title is pretty tough. Then at Canadians, you have to win against all other provinces plus the defending Canadian team from the previous year. The best she did before is making the final, losing to a former world champion.

So silver is actually a great accomplishment.

No, it's not a great accomplishment. It's an AWESOME accomplishment!!!

For Cheryl and her Team to come out and perform like that, when they've never gone to Worlds or faced most of those teams before...So proud of her and just shows how strong the Alberta teams are. In both Mens and Womens play.

Dad and I have been laughingly saying that all the Teams that made it to this year's Brier must have been sitting back watching Kevin and Boys play and at the same time, saying to the Curling Gods..."Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for letting Kevin win The Trials so we don't have to face him next weekend!!!" :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wonder if Uncle Ben's doubled their donation to the Food Banks after last night's win. You don't win an Olympic Gold Medal every day after all. :)