what is Plushes reputation among his peers? | Golden Skate

what is Plushes reputation among his peers?

Bijoux

Match Penalty
I mean how well is he liked by the skating community? I notice he never skated for soi...is that because he is such a big ego diva? Not trying to start a war but am I the only one who is less than thrilled with his stale quad combo and the kingly demeanor? I have to agree with Jaime Sales assessment of his skating. I feel it:sheesh: is just going to be a coronation and that truly atleast 3 better all around skaters have no chance. Just as the chinese would have had to fall flat on their faces to lose the gold...I am thinking that the european judges have already decided he'll be gold.

I wonder what insiders have to say about his ego. Any articles on what he's like as a person, etc off Ice.?

thanks

Plushenko toured with Champions on Ice several times, and I never heard of any of his fellow skaters saying a bad word about him.

I saw him several times in person in the Campbell's and Marshall's cheesefests. He was the soul of gallantry toward all the ladies in the show,and appeared to be on friendly enough terms with the guys. With the audience he seemed friendly but a little shy (his English wasn't so good back then as it is now.)

Last edited:

jessica1018

Spectator
Here's an recent interview with him in English. If you live in the US, you can watch it.

http://www.nbcolympics.com./video/a...067db18366c3.html#yevgeny+plushenko+interview

It' a long interview(20 min), so you can get, well, an impression on what kind of person he is. He talks about the reason he came back frankly, the hardship he's been through to get back into shape and sometimes makes a joke. :laugh:

Plus)
Oh, he also said he would accept any result at the Olympics.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Brian Joubert recently said that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but a good guy behind the scenes. I thought that was a very interesting observation; some skaters are accused of being much nicer when the cameras are on than they are in real life, but I don't recall ever hearing of someone being the opposite of that.

schiele

Final Flight
Brian Joubert recently said that Plushenko is very annoying in press conferences but a good guy behind the scenes. I thought that was a very interesting observation; some skaters are accused of being much nicer when the cameras are on than they are in real life, but I don't recall ever hearing of someone being the opposite of that.

That's very much my impression of Plush as well. All the off the ice and more behind the scenes footage Ive seen shows a relaxed and fun guy and not an agressive one. I think Plush puts on that act to intimidate others and preserve an aura of "unbeatable champion" around him. Even his galas (mainly pre 2006 ones) were all pure entertainment, with him putting himself in all kinds of silly positions. If he had such a king ego, I doubt he'd risk looking stupid in front of the public (compared to another macho skater Im thinking who is all about his image). In addition, as far as i know, he's been invited to SOI a couple of times but he wanted to stay in Russia and run his own show instead.

Besides (with respect to the original post) I doubt the judges are doing everything they can to hold him up. He's on top beacuse of his technical abilities, the judges showed him not such blind favours on PCS or GOE, I guess not so suprising after the events in the last couple of weeks.

Artistry

On the Ice
I think the judges are not only NOT holding him up, they are trying to score him as low as possible, given his level/ quad, etc.

seniorita

Record Breaker
And when people go around him he is so shocking shy that you search where is the "finger guy", says thank you all the time and listen to all the crap you have to say wthout interrupting your crappy english accent that he doesnt get probably, and then gives you a hug and kiss :) and then i fainted , i dont remember...
I m having the worst hang over.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
And when people go around him he is so shocking shy that you search where is the "finger guy", says thank you all the time and listen to all the crap you have to say wthout interrupting your crappy english accent that he doesnt get probably, and then gives you a hug and kiss :) and then i fainted , i dont remember...

LOL. How much did you have to drink during the short program?

Medusa

Record Breaker

Why do you have a hang over? We didn't actually drink anything last night. But you still remember that you owe me 2 lunches, right? Right?

About skater's personalities, I know that I am guilty of judging too much myself, especially concerning Chan, but I think we should all start with the opinion that they are all quite normal and pretty decent guys. That goes for Chan, for Plushenko, Joubert - heck, even for Lysacek. Of course we can say "shut the heck up" if they say stupid stuff in the press, but how many stupid things do we say in our everyday-lives? It's not like they are politicians or hollywood-celebreties, who signed up for this kind of scrutiny and publicity.

seniorita

Record Breaker
No i actually did drink plus I slept at 8.30, I was with my sis, but she went to bed after Joub frustrated, so I was left alone, no virtual vodka, just greek wine!:p
Two lunches and wait for Lp.;) I think I ll buy you a third!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Respect and a healthy dose of fear, obviously :)

But in all seriousness, when I was watching the competition last night, the commentators mentioned quite a few skaters who listed Plushenko as their role model/skating idol/whatever.

And I don't think the judges are going to hand him the gold like in 2006. If you notice the scores from last night, the top 3 are very, very close even though Plushenko outjumped everyone.

nubka

Final Flight
I mean how well is he liked by the skating community? I notice he never skated for soi...is that because he is such a big ego diva? Not trying to start a war but am I the only one who is less than thrilled with his stale quad combo and the kingly demeanor? I have to agree with Jaime Sales assessment of his skating. I feel it:sheesh: is just going to be a coronation and that truly atleast 3 better all around skaters have no chance. Just as the chinese would have had to fall flat on their faces to lose the gold...I am thinking that the european judges have already decided he'll be gold.

I wonder what insiders have to say about his ego. Any articles on what he's like as a person, etc off Ice.?

thanks

This is so yesterday...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Plushenko starred with COI while Yagudin was a headliner for SOI. Unfortunately, COI is no more & I believe Plushenko is very popular skating in European ice shows.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Plushy is a showman, he tuns on the attitude of pride when he wants to.

Wicked

Final Flight

This funny because I've read the same thing about Brian.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I got the same impressions: competitive on ice and in press stuff, but shy and kind behind the scenes!

this summer he also had some chat with Italian soccer player Del Piero, since Juventus and him were training in the same place, and they both paid so much compliments each other!

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
How does Not Touring with SOI make anyone a "big ego diva"?

I have seen Plushenko skate with COI many times and it was always a thrill to watch him. He has a great personality on ice, and he does difficult jumps even in exhibition skating. He is very entertaining. I have no idea how he relates to other skaters on the tour but I have not heard of any issues.

thanks

jgwfan

Spectator
You have to be invited to tour with SOI and if Hamilton does not want you you're out. I have no idea if he has issues with Plushy but I know they ran a poll asking which skater the fans would like to see and Weir won it by a landslide. They took down the poll and Johnny was not invited. So I don't think you can blame Yvgeny.